PDA

View Full Version : Between Knoxville and Smoky Mountains ?

jcramin
01-13-2009, 17:47
I am looking for a Hostel or other Lodging between Knoxville and The Smoky Mountains. I need someplace with shuttle service. My son and I would like to be able to drive in, sleep the night then get a shuttled out and spend a few days hiking back towards where ever we stay the first night.

We would like to be able to hike The Smokey Mountains and the AT.

Is there any place in that area that would work for what we want to do ?

Thanks,
J

Rcarver
01-13-2009, 19:36
You could stay at Standing Bear Farm off I-40 at exit 451. There is also The Hike Inn, which is outside Bryson City. I don't know of any other place that you can stay in the area and get a shuttle.
SBF 423-487-0014.
THI 828-479-3677.
One of them might know of someplace else.

Ron Haven
01-13-2009, 19:37
I am looking for a Hostel or other Lodging between Knoxville and The Smoky Mountains. I need someplace with shuttle service. My son and I would like to be able to drive in, sleep the night then get a shuttled out and spend a few days hiking back towards where ever we stay the first night.

We would like to be able to hike The Smokey Mountains and the AT.

Is there any place in that area that would work for what we want to do ?

Thanks,
JFriend,
This is kinda tricky question but I will try.Sgt Rock & Dixie Critter Shuttle some form Maryville,Tn which is in the south suburb of Knoxville.

There are several hiker friendly motels in the Gatlinburg,Tn area which is one way to the Smokies on the north west side and I don't know of any hostels but they do shuttles from Happy Hiker Outfitter.

On the north east side of the Smokies at exit 451 on I-40 is Curtis at Standing Bear Farms Hostel and Shuttles near the A T.

On the south east side of the Smokies is Jeff Hoke at the Hike Inn near Fontana with a motel and shuttles.If you don't have a guide book click on this link (http://www.appalachiantrailservices.com/index.php?env=-inlink/index:m17-1-1-1-s&reset=1) and proceed.Here is another shuttler (http://www.bellsouthpwp2.net/m/d/mdron/mcgahahome.htm).Hope this has been a help.

Rockhound
01-13-2009, 21:18
Call Curtis at Standing Bear. You can stay here on day 1. Day 2 He can shuttle you to Newfound Gap and you can hike back from there. 33.7 mile hike all on the AT. His # is 423-487-0014

Kanati
01-13-2009, 21:59
Ron Haven is the most knowledgeable and helpful guy I ever met!!! Enjoyed my stay with him last March during my hike and look forward to the next time. Also enjoyed his stories and talking about wrestling. Did Ya'll know he was a pro wrestler?

Take care Ron.

jcramin
01-15-2009, 10:16
Thanks for all the great help. We are not sure of a date yet but I will check into all these choices.

Thanks,
J

Hooch
01-15-2009, 10:23
Ron Haven is the most knowledgeable and helpful guy I ever met!!! Enjoyed my stay with him last March during my hike and look forward to the next time. Also enjoyed his stories and talking about wrestling. Did Ya'll know he was a pro wrestler?

Take care Ron.

Ron Haven 3:16!

Cabin Fever
01-15-2009, 10:32
If you're not dead set on the Smokies, you can do other loops/hikes on the AT in the northeast Tennessee area using hostels or shuttles. You could use Mountain Harbour in Roan Mountain, Kincora in Dennis Cove or something in Hot Springs.

MOWGLI
01-15-2009, 10:36
This place in Maryville, TN might meet your needs;

http://www.onceuponatimeadventures.com/hostel.html

Good luck!