PDA

View Full Version : Ula - Conduit

Alyssa1
01-13-2009, 20:48
:sun has anyone ever used the ula- conduit pack?! how is it?

John B
01-13-2009, 21:07
If you do a search for "ULA" on this site, I believe that you will find that their packs receive exceedingly high reviews -- light weight, very well made, and outstanding company support.

Marta
01-13-2009, 21:12
I like it a lot. It has been my go-to pack for the past year. It is fairly small, so you need to get your load down in order to use it. I don't use it in the middle of the winter, for instance, because of the volume of the winter sleeping bag, and all the extra clothing.

Rcarver
01-13-2009, 21:51
I have an '08 model and it is a great pack. I got it in March and it was the pack I used all summer. I cut a piece of Ridgerest small enough to fit as the backpanel for mine. Made it very comfortable. When the weather turned cold I started using my Circuit. I'm looking forward to warmer weather so I can start using the Conduit. Love it.

daddytwosticks
01-14-2009, 08:54
Have an '08 model and love it...you need to be an ultralighter to make it work for multiple-day trips. I love it as an overnight pack with less than 25#.

KG4FAM
01-14-2009, 11:34
You started another thread saying that you are new to backpacking. I would not call this pack a starter pack. It is tiny for someone new just starting out. Don't be fooled by ULA's total pack size measurements, look at the main body and extension collar. That makes it a 40 litre pack.

I have never heard a bad word about ULA packs though and the conduit is probably a fine pack, but you have to have your **** together to do your thing out of a pack this small.

Alligator
01-14-2009, 12:05
I'm tracking mine right now:sun. Having moved to progressively smaller packs, I'd echo what KG4FAM says. New backpackers tend to overpack, and this is a small pack. There are bigger ULA packs to consider as well as other non-ULA options such as a Granite Gear Vapor Ki at about 60 liters (3600 cu in.) That's not to say you wouldn't be able to make the conduit size work for you though.

calculating infinity
01-14-2009, 17:33
i can fit my sleeping bag, shelter, first aid(including water purifiers), cooking supplies, extra clothing and a book into something the size of a plastic grocery bag with a little extra room to spare. will the ula conduit be too small for up to a week long (but mostly 3-4 day) trips? im on a tight budget and that 100$ price tag and service is looking really nice.

daddytwosticks
01-14-2009, 17:37
Wow! If you can fit all that stuff into the grocery bags I've seen you are definitly an SUL candidate! :)

KG4FAM
01-14-2009, 17:45
i can fit my sleeping bag, shelter, first aid(including water purifiers), cooking supplies, extra clothing and a book into something the size of a plastic grocery bag with a little extra room to spare. will the ula conduit be too small for up to a week long (but mostly 3-4 day) trips? im on a tight budget and that 100$ price tag and service is looking really nice.I would like to know what exactly is in that grocery bag.

skinewmexico
01-14-2009, 17:53
ULA makes a good pack. Gossamer Gear G4 is on sale now too..................just saying....

Quoddy
01-14-2009, 18:03
I've been using the Conduit since 2007. Although I have four other packs, I find that I use the Conduit for all of my hikes where I expect to have resupply stretches of from 4 to 7 days. Using a sleeping pad correctly for rigidity is very important if much over 20 pounds is to be carried.

calculating infinity
01-14-2009, 19:20
I would like to know what exactly is in that grocery bag.
no problem, im still new to this so i may be missing some things.

-sleeping bag is a cheapish slumberjack 30F bag. (its just under level with the handles) i dont even use a bag in the summer though, way too muggy. i just use a small thin blanket.
-my hammock (diy with bugnet) inside a nylon mesh bag i found in my garage. the straps, some rope used for tie outs on a tarp and three stakes (i always lose things) are in there too.
-im currently using a balled up shirt to simulate a tarp (i was looking at dimensions and it's close in size) since i havent been able to get the one i like yet.
-a 3 cup aluminum pot with foil lid that my dad gave me with one of those boyscout kits when i was younger. its the perfect size to boil water when FBC. inside of it is my taco bell spork some ketchup/mustard packets, a small cup that ill probably get rid of, a cat can alcohol stove and a bandanna so it doesnt move around and annoy me.
-my first aid kit consists of an ace bandage, 2 4x4 gauze pads with 10cm ruler, tape, bactroban, magnifying glass, saftey pin, iodine, small pencil, gauze wrap 2"x6yrds, a half pack of steri strips, bic lighter, some advil, super glue and a small container of water purifier in a ziploc bag.
-my mora #1 even though its usually on my waist
-HEET
-bug spray
-flashlight which i usually keep in my pocket
-a thermal shirt and my basketball shorts which i love for hiking way better than any hiking shorts ive ever tried on
-extra socks
-foil windscreen wraps around the bottle of HEET
-plastic bag for a poncho
-a little kids tooth brush and a travel tube of toothpaste
-the tales and poems of edgar allen poe
-pot stand

i could gain some room if i switched out the bottle of HEET for a smaller one and had better compression for my hammock. i have no idea how much this weighs.

im really open to advice too since i am pretty new to multi-day hikes and backpacking.

Dogwood
01-14-2009, 20:00
You started another thread saying that you are new to backpacking. I would not call this pack a starter pack. It is tiny for someone new just starting out. Don't be fooled by ULA's total pack size measurements, look at the main body and extension collar. That makes it a 40 litre pack.

I have never heard a bad word about ULA packs though and the conduit is probably a fine pack, but you have to have your **** together to do your thing out of a pack this small.

IMO, all this needs to be emphasized, again!!! This probably is not a starter pack!!!

AND,

New backpackers tend to overpack, and this is a small pack!!! There are bigger ULA packs to consider as well as other non-ULA options such as a Granite Gear Vapor Ki at about 60 liters (3600 cu in.) That's not to say you wouldn't be able to make the conduit size work for you though.

KG4FAM
01-14-2009, 21:03
no problem, im still new to this so i may be missing some things.

-sleeping bag is a cheapish slumberjack 30F bag. (its just under level with the handles) i dont even use a bag in the summer though, way too muggy. i just use a small thin blanket.
-my hammock (diy with bugnet) inside a nylon mesh bag i found in my garage. the straps, some rope used for tie outs on a tarp and three stakes (i always lose things) are in there too.
-im currently using a balled up shirt to simulate a tarp (i was looking at dimensions and it's close in size) since i havent been able to get the one i like yet.
-a 3 cup aluminum pot with foil lid that my dad gave me with one of those boyscout kits when i was younger. its the perfect size to boil water when FBC. inside of it is my taco bell spork some ketchup/mustard packets, a small cup that ill probably get rid of, a cat can alcohol stove and a bandanna so it doesnt move around and annoy me.
-my first aid kit consists of an ace bandage, 2 4x4 gauze pads with 10cm ruler, tape, bactroban, magnifying glass, saftey pin, iodine, small pencil, gauze wrap 2"x6yrds, a half pack of steri strips, bic lighter, some advil, super glue and a small container of water purifier in a ziploc bag.
-my mora #1 even though its usually on my waist
-HEET
-bug spray
-flashlight which i usually keep in my pocket
-a thermal shirt and my basketball shorts which i love for hiking way better than any hiking shorts ive ever tried on
-extra socks
-foil windscreen wraps around the bottle of HEET
-plastic bag for a poncho
-a little kids tooth brush and a travel tube of toothpaste
-the tales and poems of edgar allen poe
-pot stand

i could gain some room if i switched out the bottle of HEET for a smaller one and had better compression for my hammock. i have no idea how much this weighs.

im really open to advice too since i am pretty new to multi-day hikes and backpacking.that looks fine for dead of summer and if things are the size that you say they are then it would work. Once you start to add more for colder weather then you will need more room. Don't look at this pack just because it has a good price. It is a good pack from a good company at a good weight and sold at a good price, but if you have to buy another pack in order to go in cooler temperatures then you just wasted 100 bucks. This is a not a pack for those on a budget, it is a specialty pack.

jonathanb23
01-14-2009, 21:16
Do I hear an echo? Yep...The Conduit is not the best starter pack. I own one and I like it alot, but I would think a GG Vapor trail or the like is a better place to start. The VT is far more forgiving in the packing department. Plus you can go to almost any outfitter and pack one up and try it on. Go to an outfitter...touch the gear...hold it... talk to it (ok maybe that's just me). Get ideas here, but go to an outfitter to start.

calculating infinity
01-14-2009, 22:10
that looks fine for dead of summer and if things are the size that you say they are then it would work. Once you start to add more for colder weather then you will need more room. Don't look at this pack just because it has a good price. It is a good pack from a good company at a good weight and sold at a good price, but if you have to buy another pack in order to go in cooler temperatures then you just wasted 100 bucks. This is a not a pack for those on a budget, it is a specialty pack.

i understand what you are saying about the size and more important reasons to choose the pack. i live and hike in florida where it is pretty warm most of the year (save a few nights up north where it gets into the 20's for a little bit) and i dont plan on trying to tackle something like the AT where id encounter weather that means more than a poncho, jacket and thermals for at least a few years.
i just found an outfitter in town and plan to stop by and see what they have to choose from since i havent had a chance to really get a good look at packs and pack sizes. once i get my final gear list set ill measure it all up and see if i can fit into something like this safely and comfortably. if not ill go for the bigger bag and be just as happy.

thanks for your comment

Hooch
01-14-2009, 22:26
I'm tracking mine right now:sun. I'm tracking a Catalyst right now as well, Gator. Mine left Nashville on its way to Charlotte today around 3pm. Scheduled for delivery tomorrow. :banana

Alligator
01-14-2009, 22:34
I'm tracking a Catalyst right now as well, Gator. Mine left Nashville on its way to Charlotte today around 3pm. Scheduled for delivery tomorrow. :bananaYou'll have me beat. It just left Salt Lake at 2:00 a.m. this morning, won't get to me until 1/20 by ground. Did yours get delayed due to a supply shortage? I ordered almost two weeks ago, but they had some supply issues over the holidays. No problem, they were good about letting me know, and that's going to be my summer pack anyway. They at least put the new photos up on the site.

Hooch
01-14-2009, 22:41
Nope, mine was in stock, I didn't need any custom work to it, so it shipped the next day after I ordered. My understanding is this is 'bout the time o' year that Brian gets pretty busy with thru-hiker orders, especially on the Catalyst.

Alligator
01-14-2009, 22:53
I added the hydration pocket and hip pockets, it could have been those. Customer service (Casey) emailed me without my checking and was also good about answering my initial questions.

Hooch
01-14-2009, 23:07
I added the hydration pocket and hip pockets, it could have been those. Customer service (Casey) emailed me without my checking and was also good about answering my initial questions. As far as I'm concerned, ULA's customer service is right up there with other great cottage gear makers like Speer Hammocks, Jacks r Better, OES, etc. My initial contact was with Brian himself and then follow up was by Casey. I bought one of their Amigo Pro water filters last year and love it. I have no doubt my Catalyst will exceed all expectations.

TwoForty
01-15-2009, 00:24
Unless you get your gear dialed in right, the night before your trip you'll probably be sitting in your living room with gear everywhere, half your sleeping bag in the back, and sobbing.

Not saying it's won't work for a beginner, but you'll want to really fine tune your gear list for weight and volume, something many beginners have a hard time doing.

Marta
01-15-2009, 07:52
As everyone else has been saying, the Conduit is pretty unforgiving of overpacking. It'll handle the weight, but the volume is an issue. If you have a bulky sleeping bag, or bring an extra sleeping pad and few extra pieces of clothing, or some party supplies, it'll tip you right over the edge.

Another consideration is that it takes a bit more finesse to pack a frameless pack, both to make it comfortable, and to be able to find your stuff when you need it. For someone who hasn't been out and about on the trail before, a rigid-framed pack with some storage pockets is probably easier to use.

That said, I would heartily recommend adventurous souls to start right off going light. Just do it in fairly tame conditions, so you won't end up having a really unpleasant outing.

garbanz
01-15-2009, 08:32
My Catalyst has served me well being comfy and always roomy enough. I just received a new hipbelt from ULA for it. I ripped holes in the old hipbelt pockets in a fall rolling over rocks. Again great customer service ---something thats becoming a lost art. Im interested to find out comfort zone base weights (w/o consumables) for the Cat vs Circuit. Ive been wanting to go lighter but still want the capacity for week long resupply on longer treks. This is a no brainer for hikers owning several size packs. But to integrate gear into a system that works well together without having every closet in the house stuffed with seasonal paraphanalia is the ultimate goal. Granted some purchases are going to be hit and miss but consulting WB should minimize the misses. Buying stuff just because it has the ultralight tag before checking functionality within your particular gear system maximizes the misses.