PDA

View Full Version : My 09 Gear List

Lummox
01-14-2009, 01:07
I am hitting the trail the first week or so of March. I already have a -20F sleeping bag, boots and socks at a local EMS, Headlamp, Gloves, and First Aid Kit. The list below is what I am planning to buy from Campmor or local hardware stores. Please have a look and help me to see any missing or extra gear.

***** Legs *************
Duofold Tall Men's Ankle Length Pants - 79704
Campmor Men's UPF Travel Pants 32"Inseam 75430 Columbia Men's Fleece Pants - 48801
Columbia Men's Omni Dry Silver Ridge Cargo Short 56510
***** Torso ************
Expedition Weight 360 Stretch 2 layer Crewneck - 30649
2 T-Shirts, wicking
Campmor men's Microfleece Grid mix zip T-Neck - 33416
Columbia Men's Bugaboo Interchange Parka w/ removeavle 250 fleece - 50266
Campmor lightweight pVC Rainsuit - 79690
***** Head/Hands/Feet ******
Campmor Glove Liner - 11211
Outdoor Research Sonic Balaclava - 33493
SoftShell Headband - 66501
Outdoor Research Men's Highpoint Cap - 76260
********** Cooking *************
DIY alcohol stove and windscreen w/ 4oz fuel bottle
Katadyn Hiker Pro Microfilter - 81917
Open Country 2 Pot Cookset - 82090
OilCamp Space Saver Cup - 25001
Chop-sticks and Spoon
Thermal Mug - 80919
4 32oz Nalgene Canteens - 80900
2 16 oz Nalgene Canteens - 80896
Magnesium Fire Starter - 3131
Waterproof Matches - 8485
3 Lighters
Ursack (From site)
********** Tent etc. ***************
Wenzel StarLite Tent - 3584
Camouflage Poly Tarp 10X10
http://www.tarpsplus.com/poly-tarps-single-tarps-camouflage-tarps.html
2X 4pack 6in Stakes - 28881
Thermarest Trail Medium Self Inflating Pad - 43008
2 X Space Blanket - 81280
100ft Rope
http://www.armysurplusworld.com/product.asp?ProductID=5226
********** Pack and Sacs *********************
GoLite Quest Internal Frame Pack - 80699
BackPack Rain Cover - 60809
Hydroseal Dry Sac medium (extra fleece/pants/hat) - 81486
Hydroseal Dry Sac large (sleeping bag) - 81487
********* ETC **********
Multi Purpose Radio - 88880 Organic Multi use soap
Dry Lite Towel - 83033

Thanks for reading :sun

phishpapond
01-14-2009, 01:34
Wenzel StarLite Tent really on a thru hike? Hope you no rain you will get wet.Way to much rope.4 32oz Nalgene Canteens - 80900
2 16 oz Nalgene Canteens - 80896 . At most you only need 3 32oz bottles.

SOBOTORTOISE
01-14-2009, 03:09
You seem to be very equipped. What does it all weight?

ArDiAcMe
01-14-2009, 04:15
That seems to be a rather large thru hiking pack list. How much does it weigh. I am also planning a thru hike this year and am putting together a list of items. Id drop the mug and a few bottles, cut the rope in half at least. Ive decided to go without a filter and just use iodine to save space, but am not sure how much more expensive it'll turn out to be in the end.

Blissful
01-14-2009, 14:16
-20 bag to start? No way, won't need it!!! 15-20 degree is fine and you can bring a liner just in case. No need for space blanket. 50 ft of rope is plenty.

Rainsuit - you get what you pay for. Might look at Frogg Togg.
Your clothing options are really heavy. Buy one pair of convertible pants and some mid weight underwear. A merino wool shirt to hike in if cold. Only need one t-shirt to start. Underwear? Parka is overkill with a rain jacket. You can get a lightweight outer jacket (either synthetic or down sweater-like) at a good price now. Liners for gloves are optional (I'd forget them)
Don't need the headband if you have a hat.
Way too many Nalgenes, and they are heavy also
Cookset - just get a K mart gease pot and one lexan spoon
Only need one lighter, no need for firestarter
Tent - you get what you pay for. Wenzel is lousy. Might look into something else that might protect you better and weigh a lot less. Check here on WB for ideas (some hikers are selling gear too) or do a tent search. One tent or tarp will do. Not both.

How much weight can this golite handle?

KG4FAM
01-14-2009, 14:39
I am hitting the trail the first week or so of March. I already have a -20F sleeping bag, boots and socks at a local EMS, Headlamp, Gloves, and First Aid Kit. The list below is what I am planning to buy from Campmor or local hardware stores. Please have a look and help me to see any missing or extra gear. considering the other choices on the list I doubt that you actually have a truly rated -20 deg sleeping bag, what kind is it and how much does it weigh.

***** Legs *************
Campmor Men's UPF Travel Pants 32"Inseam 75430 Only need one pair of pants
Columbia Men's Fleece Pants - 48801
Columbia Men's Omni Dry Silver Ridge Cargo Short 56510
***** Torso ************
2 T-Shirts, wicking
Campmor lightweight pVC Rainsuit - 79690 Ewww, pvc=bad, get some dri ducks/frogg toggs if you want to cheap out on the rain gear
********** Cooking *************
DIY alcohol stove and windscreen w/ 4oz fuel bottle
Open Country 2 Pot Cookset - 82090 you only need one pot
OilCamp Space Saver Cup - 25001 too heavy, get an orikaso cup if you cant drink out of your cookpot
Chop-sticks and Spoon chopsticks? w t f ?
Thermal Mug - 80919 another cup? one for each hand maybe?
4 32oz Nalgene Canteens - 80900 get some gatorade bottles, cheaper, lighter
2 16 oz Nalgene Canteens - 80896 if you are doing bladder just get one big one
Magnesium Fire Starter - 3131 just get a bic lighter
Waterproof Matches - 8485 see above
3 Lighters 2 is enough
Ursack (From site)
Wenzel StarLite Tent - 3584 worthless
Camouflage Poly Tarp 10X10 2.75 pounds of tarp, no. find a lighter one
100ft Rope 1/2 that is enough for hanging food and that is all you use if for on a day to day basis
GoLite Quest Internal Frame Pack - 80699
BackPack Rain Cover - 60809 crap as well, find a silnylon one
Hydroseal Dry Sac medium (extra fleece/pants/hat) - 81486 just shove everything into a trash compactor bag
********* ETC **********
Multi Purpose Radio - 88880 dear god, are you trying to give me a heart attack. you can find a cheap pocket radio that weighs next to nothing. sansa m240 is what I use
Organic Multi use soap
Dry Lite Towel - 83033

TomWc
01-14-2009, 14:48
Campmor lightweight pVC Rainsuit - 79690
4 32oz Nalgene Canteens - 80900
2 16 oz Nalgene Canteens - 80896
3 Lighters
Ursack (From site)
Wenzel StarLite Tent - 3584
Camouflage Poly Tarp 10X10
100ft Rope

Multi Purpose Radio - 88880 Organic Multi use soap
Dry Lite Towel - 83033

Just some thoughts on these items.

A rain shell and fleece/wool layers will be more versatile and lighter than the interchange parka and pvc rainsuit. Thrift store fleece and wool are good options (there's lots of this in the goodwill) as are frogg toggs mentioned earlier.

All the nalgenes could be replaced with gatoraide bottles, cheaper and lighter

2 bic lighters, one big and one mini, keep them dry and skip the firesteel

ursack is heavy and not really necessary, lots of folks use plastic grocery bags or stuff sacks

That's a big tarp, especially if you have a tent too and poly is heavy, look at the nylon and silnylon tarps on campmor.

Haven't seen the starlite in person, but haven't heard good things about them. Alps mountaineering zephyr is not much more expensive and top quality. Sports authority has a pretty good hiker/biker tent (http://www.sportsauthority.com/sm-alpine-design-hiker-biker-tent--pi-3093717.html) for about 35$, often on sale for 20. It's less than 4 lbs.

Gutter spikes from the home improvement center make good cheap tent stakes

Thermarest trail medium is a pretty heavy pad, might want to look into other options if you can save money elsewhere.

I like having a space blanket, it makes a good groundcloth and might be good for emergencies. Why 2?

Chamois type towels can be found cheap in the auto parts section of walmart a lot cheaper than pack towels

Holy cow on that radio! Don't get me wrong, I like a radio, especially shortwave, but you can save a pound, 20$ and get better reception with a grundig mini-pe300 (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2486269).

John B
01-14-2009, 15:14
I agree with the previous suggestions. If you just have to carry Nalgene, maybe carry just one and then a Gatorade bottle. 4 of the things plus 2 16oz canteens is way too much The woods are full of sticks, so I'd definitely ditch the chopsticks and use what will be all around you if you just have to have them. You could replace two pair of pants with just one pair of convertible pants. Definitely carry a cheap Zippo instead of the firestarter thing -- one shoudl be plenty; just look at the bottom from time to time to make it still has enough gas. Personally I don't see a need for an Ursak, but some argue that they're good at keeping mice out of food. One cook pot is plenty and you can get rid of the extra pot, cup, and thermal mug -- just use the pot for hot coffee if that's what you want.

You've got so much heavy stuff that I hate to suggest more things, but you might want to carry a tooth brush and travel paste, also a very small knife (1" blade) to open packets of food.

Lots of us like to use toilet paper -- one WB member carries 6 rolls; however, most of use get by with one small roll.

I'd suggest an ounce or so of gelled alcohol to ward off cooties on your hands.

I'm cold natured, too, but a -20 bag is meant for the Yukon, not the AT. A 15-20 degree should be just fine.

I'd say 30' of rope is plenty. Pretty much all you'll use it for is bear bagging or maybe a clothes line for drying.

My best advice is that I'd suggest you look at the gear lists of some of the really experienced hikers here, compare their lists to yours, and learn from their experience.

TomWc
01-14-2009, 15:21
Also a good piece of advice I received here is that if you can't wear all your layers at once, you have too many. JAK has it right, Base layer+wool layer+fleece layer+shell layer.

KG4FAM
01-14-2009, 15:26
You've got so much heavy stuff that I hate to suggest more things, but you might want to carry a tooth brush and travel paste, also a very small knife (1" blade) to open packets of food.If you don't mind a salty taste and the weird texture just brush your teeth with straight up baking soda. Its more LNT friendly than tooth paste, lighter since the water is not there, cheaper at like 50 cents a box, more readily available at small towns than travel sized things, and easier to clean off your brush using much less of your treated/filtered/[at least gone down to the spring and fetched] water.

buckwheat
01-14-2009, 16:12
If you don't mind a salty taste and the weird texture just brush your teeth with straight up baking soda.

If you have coffee or cigarette stains, you will also find this will significantly brighten your enamel. My grandmother turned me on to baking soda as a toothpaste as a kid 30 years ago. Arm & Hammer finally wised up and now sell a baking soda infused toothpaste.

John B
01-14-2009, 16:29
I gotta put in a plug for toothpaste again. While I agree that baking soda is more convenient and works well, note that you won't be getting any flouride from any other source for X mths except for toothpaste and what water you consume in towns. Anyway, no matter which you pick, your teeth and gums will thank you for it.

Lummox
01-14-2009, 19:50
I love all the replies, thanks everyone. I'm going to work down my list with some changes that you all have suggested.

Pants - Dropping the shorts and pants and getting the Campmor Convertable travel pants - 75430

Torso - I am going to get the $60 classic frog toggs instead of the rain suit and parka. But does the fleece need to be high tech- or will any fleece sweater do? Being cold and wet is my biggest worry on the trail.

Cookware - I'm dropping the 2 pot set and going down to Walmart tomorrow to get one 1L pot. Dropping the small cup, but I want to keep my insulated mug as I am a coffee and tea addict. The nalgenes were for holding loose food like rice or oatmeal as well as water, so I am still going to bring 2 for food, but I'll use gatorade bottles for my water. I am going to take out the flint fire starter, but I am still going to bring some matches in a film container just in case along with 2 Bic lighters.
Tent - I am going to switch over to the tent suggested by TomWC (http://www.sportsauthority.com/sm-alpine-design-hiker-biker-tent--pi-3093717.html) and go for aluminum gutter nails for the pegs. The 100ft of rope was misleading, I am only going to bring 50 ft at the start, and have extra if I need it mailed out. The same goes for my 2 emergency blankets. I have the Ursack on there since I don't feel 100% confident on my bear bagging skills, but do not want to slack on keeping safe either.

Pack - I will get a different rain cover, but I think I am going to order my gear first and measure the size of everything packed to avoid a lot of empty space on the rain cover.
On my walmart trip I am going to try and find a cheaper pack towel.

Oh and I do not know the specs of the sleeping bag, but my roomate tarped around Utah during the winter, so I am sure it will get me through the cold nights in the first few months. I am very nervous of the cold. After that I've got other bags I can borrow from another hiking friend.

I'll re-post my list when I get back to my usual computer in a few days, for you all to rip through again. Thanks so much everyone!

Panzer1
01-14-2009, 20:58
Pants - Dropping the shorts and pants and getting the Campmor Convertable travel pants - 75430Your going need to have something to wear while your doing your laundry.
Are you planning to wear your frog toggs while your pants are in the washer?

Panzer

Panzer1
01-14-2009, 21:10
Oh and I do not know the specs of the sleeping bag, but my roomate tarped around Utah during the winter, so I am sure it will get me through the cold nights in the first few months.

I would make sure that bag is warm enough before heading out. Maybe you could plan a car camping weekend this winter and test the bag yourself.

Panzer

Mongoose2
01-14-2009, 21:25
I love all the replies, thanks everyone. I'm going to work down my list with some changes that you all have suggested.

Pants - Dropping the shorts and pants and getting the Campmor Convertable travel pants - 75430

Torso - I am going to get the $60 classic frog toggs instead of the rain suit and parka. But does the fleece need to be high tech- or will any fleece sweater do? Being cold and wet is my biggest worry on the trail.

Cookware - I'm dropping the 2 pot set and going down to Walmart tomorrow to get one 1L pot. Dropping the small cup, but I want to keep my insulated mug as I am a coffee and tea addict. The nalgenes were for holding loose food like rice or oatmeal as well as water, so I am still going to bring 2 for food, but I'll use gatorade bottles for my water. I am going to take out the flint fire starter, but I am still going to bring some matches in a film container just in case along with 2 Bic lighters.
Tent - I am going to switch over to the tent suggested by TomWC (http://www.sportsauthority.com/sm-alpine-design-hiker-biker-tent--pi-3093717.html) and go for aluminum gutter nails for the pegs. The 100ft of rope was misleading, I am only going to bring 50 ft at the start, and have extra if I need it mailed out. The same goes for my 2 emergency blankets. I have the Ursack on there since I don't feel 100% confident on my bear bagging skills, but do not want to slack on keeping safe either.

Pack - I will get a different rain cover, but I think I am going to order my gear first and measure the size of everything packed to avoid a lot of empty space on the rain cover.
On my walmart trip I am going to try and find a cheaper pack towel.

Oh and I do not know the specs of the sleeping bag, but my roomate tarped around Utah during the winter, so I am sure it will get me through the cold nights in the first few months. I am very nervous of the cold. After that I've got other bags I can borrow from another hiking friend.

I'll re-post my list when I get back to my usual computer in a few days, for you all to rip through again. Thanks so much everyone!

With all due respect to Tom; this tent is a huge gamble! This tent will be your shelter in cold and driving rains. I would strongly suggest that you buy a tent with a solid reputation or test this one before taking it out. REI sells a great one man tent, as does Coleman (Kraz $99.00). Both of these tents are about 3 lbs and will protect you. I have both and both are good choices. Your tent, bag and pack are critical to your success and comfort. What about shoes/boots?

knicksin2010
01-14-2009, 22:05
Are you brining trekking poles?

Scrapes
01-14-2009, 23:03
I love reading packing lists, so much can be learned. It really is make or break. I was working on mine, stuff all over the basement, then the basement flooded. Lot of wet hiking gear. A precursor perhaps?

the_black_spot
01-16-2009, 10:00
you definitely got a lot to thin out. you can listen to folks here, or just bring that stuff with you and listen to trail. just don't leave gear in shelters, throw cheap stuff away and send valuable stuff home.

Pickleodeon
01-16-2009, 11:19
I agree with keeping that Ursack. It will put my mind at ease on the trail. Worth the weight. I'm bringing less rope because it wont be doubled over a tree limb. I think I have about 30 ft.- to tie it to a tree trunk, and for clothesline.

KG4FAM
01-16-2009, 11:30
you definitely got a lot to thin out. you can listen to folks here, or just bring that stuff with you and listen to trail. just don't leave gear in shelters, throw cheap stuff away and send valuable stuff home.best to just listen to the trail, it don't give no bs. you never know who you are talking to on the internet. (what i am saying is that ain't no amount of internet advice that is worth going out and getting experience)

TomWc
01-16-2009, 12:11
With all due respect to Tom; this tent is a huge gamble! This tent will be your shelter in cold and driving rains. I would strongly suggest that you buy a tent with a solid reputation or test this one before taking it out. REI sells a great one man tent, as does Coleman (Kraz $99.00). Both of these tents are about 3 lbs and will protect you. I have both and both are good choices. Your tent, bag and pack are critical to your success and comfort. What about shoes/boots?

You are absolutely correct, like many things it is a risk. And he definitely should test it, but at 35$ -20$ on sale- if he doesn't think it will work, there's not too much lost. I suggested it because it's the same price as what he was looking at, but orders of magnitude better protection. However, I wouldn't have recommended it if I hadn't used it in weather; wind, cold and rain and stayed dry. I liked it so much I bought a few as Christmas presents for my friends.

It's got negatives for sure. It's not ultralight or ultra durable, it's got cheap zippers, (but they're backed up with velcro) the floor and fly is polyester instead of nylon. It does not vent well, but as a double wall the condensation drops out the edge to the ground. The positives are good though, it is big enough to sit up in and change your clothes and has a vestibule big enough for your pack and shoes. It does have what it takes to stay dry -- a full fly that goes all the way to the ground, a bathtub floor and taped seams. It does have what it takes to stay up, a low wind profile and several reinforced guy out points. The next thing up the ladder is a eureka solitaire at double the price and tiny, then the spitfire at 150-200% more than the alpine design. I don't own either of these but have seen them both and wouldn't say that they are 200% better tents. In the cheap/good/light matrix, the alpine design tent is a decent compromise. Heck, if it doesn't work for him, he can get a hubba at mountain crossings. I have a feeling that he'll be reevaluating things there anyway.

Here's a pic of the gigatent big bend, the same tent with aluminum poles that shows the fly, IMO the most important feature of the tent.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Ue8b5rJoL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Lummox
01-16-2009, 23:50
OK so here is the new gear list. After taking out some things and adding others this actually came out about $100 cheaper. And I've got $90 left on my EMS giftcard, after getting my shoes and socks, to put towards little odds and ends in the list. :)

***** Legs *************
Campmor 2 in 1 travel pants - 75430
***** Torso ************
T-Shirt, wicking
Campmor Men's Microleece Vee Neck Pullover - 3341
Frogg Toggs Bull Frog Signature Rain Suit
Merrell Moab Mix Gorete XCR Shoes(own)
2 pair winter socks (own)
3 pair light socks (own)
Well tested waterproof insulated gloves (own)
********** Cooking ***************
DIY alcohol stove w/ windscreen (own)
24oz fuel bottle (can be sized down at a later date if needed)
1 Pot w/ lid (own)
Chop-sticks and Spoon (own)
Thermal Mug - 80919
2 32oz Nalgene Canteens - 80900
4 Gatorade bottles
3 Lighters
Ursack (From site)
Coleman Keaz X Tent (since I saved so much money :) )
aluminum gutter nails from lowes
-20 Sleeping Bag (own)
100ft Rope
GoLite Quest Internal Frame Pack (50lB capacity) - 80669
Zipper Zip Lock Freezer bags for small stuff (own)
Trash Compactor Bags for larger orginization & pack liner (own)
********* ETC **********
FIrst Aid Kit (own/gathering)
Multi Purpose Radio - 88880
Organic Multi use soap (own)
toothbrush/paste (own)
toilet paper roll (own)
2 12X12 towels (own)
compass/ATC maps
headlamp (own)
quilting & straight needle/ half spool nylon thread/ 5ft duct tape/superglue repair kit (own)
walking stick from local trail (own)

The only thing I am undecided on is weither to get a multi tool pliers or a nice multi use knife. The local Goodwill will most likely be determining that. Otherwise I think this is the final list, excepting any new input. I want to place my order on Monday so I can have a solid month to break in the gear and myself on the local trails by me. Its a 3.2 mile loop that has two steep 500ft climbs and decents, plus lots of creek crossings. I can not wait to feel the burn of it with all the gear strapped to my back :)

KG4FAM
01-16-2009, 23:55
Multi Purpose Radio - 88880:confused:again with the 20 oz radio. Why?

Lummox
01-17-2009, 00:20
^^ I'll send it home if I can not bear the weight. But I would much rather hear talk radio out of a speaker than a earphone, nearby hikers permitting. And the little f***er can charge my I-pod..... I mean come on! ;)

KG4FAM
01-17-2009, 00:34
^^ I'll send it home if I can not bear the weight. But I would much rather hear talk radio out of a speaker than a earphone, nearby hikers permitting. And the little f***er can charge my I-pod..... I mean come on! ;)I was given one of those crank radios (i am pretty sure it is the exact model you are looking at) when I was cleaning up Katrina. The crank broke after 3 times. Before it broke it barely charged things. Crank radios are junk.

karoberts
01-17-2009, 00:38
Actually, it is major faux pas to use speakers on the trail. In the company of others it is totally unacceptable. Even when you are alone, you never know when someone might be hiking behind you who will catch up and be subjected to your talk radio. It would offend me.

It is up to you, and I am the first person to say HYOH, but think carefully about it.

volleypc
01-17-2009, 01:50
balaclava - This will come in handy on windy days in the mountains. Some people also choose to sleep with it on during cold nights.

Panzer1
01-17-2009, 02:45
^^ I'll send it home if I can not bear the weight. But I would much rather hear talk radio out of a speaker than a earphone, nearby hikers permitting. And the little f***er can charge my I-pod..... I mean come on! ;)

I wouldn't even bother with a 20 oz radio. Can't you find something that weights a lot less?

Panzer

Panzer1
01-17-2009, 02:50
What's with the numbers at the end of each line on your list. Is that supposed to be the weight?

Panzer

mtnkngxt
01-17-2009, 06:38
Product ID numbers at Campmor best I can figure Panzer

Lummox
01-17-2009, 15:54
Yeah those are the ID numbers. As for the crank on the radio breaking, I've had a much cheaper one now for a few years and it has not broken. You just need to be slow and steady with it. AND in the event any hiker, who in the 5 minutes walking past me, can hear my softly playing radio, gets offended..... sorry, you probably get offended easily and I can not help you there. I've got no intention of doing it at a shelter or in the prolonged company of hikers, and it's not like I am asking to use your map......haha ;)

theinfamousj
01-18-2009, 01:25
Barring you already having purchased it, I'd substitute a cotton bandanna for one of your car towels - er - camp towels. You can use a bandanna as a pre-filter but your camp towel won't serve this double duty. And besides, you'll still have the other camp towel.

Panzer1
01-18-2009, 01:40
AND in the event any hiker, who in the 5 minutes walking past me, can hear my softly playing radio, gets offended..... sorry, you probably get offended easily and I can not help you there.

My experience is that most hikers are music starved and won't be offended by your music anyway. But I wouldn't play music while actually hiking during rattlesnake season. Being able to hear the rattle is what protects you and you will see rattlesnakes on the trail. They are common enough.

Panzer

Panzer1
01-18-2009, 04:13
Product ID numbers at Campmor best I can figure Panzer

Does that mean they are items he is purposing to buy, because other items have "own" after them.

Panzer

John B
01-18-2009, 11:04
Am I missing something? What need do you see for 4 GatorAid bottles and 3 lighters? I'm all for socks, but 5 pair?

Retro
01-18-2009, 11:22
Some suggestions-- and I'm sure there are more...

I'd still be looking at other tent options.

***** Legs *************
***** Torso ************
T-Shirt, wicking
2 pair winter socks (own) 2 WICKING LINER SOCKS (OPTIONAL)
3 pair light socks (own) 3 DECENT PAIR IS ENOUGH
SoftShell Headband - 66501 CONSIDER A BANDANA
24oz fuel bottle (can be sized down at a later date if needed)
1 Pot w/ lid (own)
Chop-sticks and Spoon (own) DO YOU NEED BOTH??
Thermal Mug - 80919 DO YOU NEED THIS?
2 32oz Nalgene Canteens - 80900 NOT NEEDED
4 Gatorade bottles 2 GATORADE BOTTLES AND 1 TWO LITER PLATYPUS
3 Lighters 1 MINI BIC + 1 BOOK MATCHES OR 2 MINI BIC
Ursack (From site)
Coleman Keaz X Tent (since I saved so much money :) ) RECONSIDER THIS...
-20 Sleeping Bag (own)
2 X Space Blanket - 81280 JUST ONE, IF ANY.
100ft Rope 50' OF 550 PARACHUTE CORD IS PLENTY
********* ETC **********
Multi Purpose Radio - 88880 LIGHTWEIGHT MP3 PLAYER/RADIO FROM WALMART
toothbrush/paste (own)
toilet paper roll (own)
2 12X12 towels (own) ONE TOWEL, ONE BANDANA
compass/ATC maps
headlamp (own)
quilting & straight needle/ half spool nylon thread/ 5ft duct tape/superglue repair kit (own) USE DENTAL FLOSS FOR THREAD

The only thing I am undecided on is weither to get a multi tool pliers or a nice multi use knife.

GET THE LIGHTEST KNIFE YOU CAN FIND OR MAYBE THE LEATHERMAN MICRA. YOU WON'T NEED MUCH TO CUT PARA CORD AND MAKE CHOPSTICKS.

:)

Lyle
01-18-2009, 11:50
I know some of what I'm about to say has been mentioned before, but I think it bears repeating - I can't imagine you won't agree after a few nights on the trail.

OK so here is the new gear list. After taking out some things and adding others this actually came out about $100 cheaper. And I've got $90 left on my EMS giftcard, after getting my shoes and socks, to put towards little odds and ends in the list. :)

***** Legs *************
***** Torso ************
T-Shirt, wicking
3 pair light socks (own)Do you wear these under the heavy socks? If not, you don't need three pair
Campmor Glove Liner - 11211Probably not needed
SoftShell Headband - 66501Not needed with a balaclave, but may be nice while hiking
24oz fuel bottle (can be sized down at a later date if needed)Too much fuel, 8-12 oz is plenty
Katadyn Hiker Pro Microfilter - 81917 Save a ton of weight and space with AquaMira
1 Pot w/ lid (own)
Thermal Mug - 80919
2 32oz Nalgene Canteens - 80900Heavy, not needed. Freezer zip bags work very well for dry food. Even doubled they will be much lighter.
4 Gatorade bottles
3 Lighters
Ursack (From site)
Coleman Keaz X Tent (since I saved so much money :) ) Probably a better choice, but no experience with it.
-20 Sleeping Bag (own)If actually -20 it's overkill
100ft Rope
Hydroseal Dry Sac medium (extra fleece/pants/hat) - 81486I vote for garbage bag
Hydroseal Dry Sac large (sleeping bag) - 81487 Ditto the above
********* ETC **********
toothbrush/paste (own)
toilet paper roll (own)Partial roll
2 12X12 towels (own)Replace one with one or two bandanas - more versatile
compass/ATC maps
headlamp (own)
quilting & straight needle/ half spool nylon thread/ 5ft duct tape/superglue repair kit (own)

The only thing I am undecided on is weither to get a multi tool pliers or a nice multi use knife. I use a mini leatherman. I like a sissors. Whatever you get, get the smallest you can find. 99.99% of the time all you will be cutting is cheese, sausage, toenails, nylon cord, or moleskin. The local Goodwill will most likely be determining that. Otherwise I think this is the final list, excepting any new input. I want to place my order on Monday so I can have a solid month to break in the gear and myself on the local trails by me. Its a 3.2 mile loop that has two steep 500ft climbs and decents, plus lots of creek crossings. I can not wait to feel the burn of it with all the gear strapped to my back :)

Have a blast.

Lyle
01-18-2009, 12:02
Check out these alternative tents. From recognized tent makers.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___23888 $69.97 Bivy style

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___33952 $89.97 Bivy style

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___S28316 $109.96 Would be my choice for comfort.

Personally, I would feel better betting on one of these.

Zia
01-18-2009, 12:09
I'm leaving springer late march with a completely loaded 15 lb pack (pbw 9.5 lb, consumables for three day 5.5 lb). From the looks of your pack list you can act as the on trail outfitter incase anyone need to re-supply. I couldn't imagine traveling 20 - 40 miles a day with that much stuff, well I guess you won't be. Do you want to be comfortable in camp or on the trail? I'll see you out there.

Lyle
01-18-2009, 12:32
I'm leaving springer late march with a completely loaded 15 lb pack (pbw 9.5 lb, consumables for three day 5.5 lb). From the looks of your pack list you can act as the on trail outfitter incase anyone need to re-supply. I couldn't imagine traveling 20 - 40 miles a day with that much stuff, well I guess you won't be. Do you want to be comfortable in camp or on the trail? I'll see you out there.

Going this light (or this fast) isn't advisable for the inexperienced. I assume you know what you are doing, so know your limits. Most folks don't start out that way, and shouldn't be advised to push the limits.

That said, I think everyone here is trying to get the OP to reconsider and lighten his load, no need to go to the other extreme either. Newbies should try to find a nice happy medium.

Retro
01-18-2009, 14:06
LOL, I'm sure what Zia meant to say was "Hike your own hike."... or was that "You hike your hike and I'll hike mine." Good advice either way.

Perhaps the purpose behind posting a gear list on here is to make wise choices based upon the experience of others-- of course that statement leaves the subject of wisdom wide open to discussion.

Bobbo
01-18-2009, 15:22
I have 5000 miles under my belt. Not nearly as many as ohters, but more then most. Here is my 2 cents worth of experience.

All your gear should work together and severe more then one purpose. Avoid the "just in case items".
2 cents worth
1 32 0z nalgene holds hot liquid such as coffee and tea when needed
3 pairs of socks total
Long underwear and water proof pants – no need for fleece pants. If you’re cold in camp get in your 20 degree sleeping bag. Hiking will keep you warm enough even if it’s raining.
1 shirt
1 fleece
1 light weight rain coat
1 Gatorade bottle and 1 platypus 2 liter if you want.
1 bic lighter
Bears are not a problem on the AT – accept sometimes in the smokies. You should be more concerned about mice. Mice are only an issue in the shelters. Use the tent you are carrying and stay out of the shelters. I used my food bag as a pillow after a while. My stink covered up any food odor.

The AT is not a wilderness experience. There are tons of nice people around if you get in a jam. There is a road crossing within a days walk on the majority of the trail. This is not a Jeremiah Johnson type experience. Keep in mind – the lighter your pack – the more comfortable you will be- less chance of injury – the longer you can walk each day and less time sitting around using things in your pack. Keep it light – keep walking.

You should really shoot for right around thirty pounds with food and water. Focus on the large items
Sleeping bag no more then 2lbs
Tent no more then 3 lbs
Pack no more then 3lbs

Something to think about. My bag, pack and tarp with all the accessories weigh less than 5lbs.
You’re the one who has to carry it – so ultimately you’re going to have to make your own decisions.
Good luck

Panzer1
01-18-2009, 17:11
Going this light (or this fast) isn't advisable for the inexperienced. I assume you know what you are doing, so know your limits. Most folks don't start out that way, and shouldn't be advised to push the limits.

Yea, I agree. I wouldn't recommend a 9.5 pound gear list for anyone. I would like to what's in that 9.5 pound gear list. It has to be real thin.

Panzer

Retro
01-18-2009, 18:19
I would like to [see] what's in that 9.5 pound gear list. It has to be real thin.

Panzer

You'd be surprised. I have a feeling that gear list may contain more than a few Best Westerns and Holiday Inns... but ya never know.

Lummox
01-18-2009, 21:00
My experience is that most hikers are music starved and won't be offended by your music anyway. But I wouldn't play music while actually hiking during rattlesnake season. Being able to hear the rattle is what protects you and you will see rattlesnakes on the trail. They are common enough.

Panzer

That is a very good point, thanks. I will definitely be researching the areas they are common in.

I'm leaving springer late march with a completely loaded 15 lb pack (pbw 9.5 lb, consumables for three day 5.5 lb). From the looks of your pack list you can act as the on trail outfitter incase anyone need to re-supply. I couldn't imagine traveling 20 - 40 miles a day with that much stuff, well I guess you won't be.

Zia I am amazed you've got such a light pack and can go 20-40 miles a day with it While I am sure it is nice, I am confident in my ability to carry a 40-45 pound pack (with food/water), cover a 10-20 miles a day average, and still have a wonderful trip. Muscles and mentality are just adjustable as packs.

As for the large amount of socks I am bringing. They get awfully funky awfully quick. The three light socks are for rotating out during the day, and going under my winter socks in cold weather to keep them as clean as possible.

The Coleman tent still has the best proportion of positive reviews that I can find, so I think it is a fairly safe bet. Same goes for the water filter.

My sleeping bag can be changed out later for a lighter one, so I am gunna be keeping the -20 bag and my extra head gear at least untill the first maildrop :)

And thankz everyone for hammering me about the excess food containers. With the extra assault from my girlfriend I have narrowed it down to a 2L camelbak bladder I have already with 2 gatorade bottles and the rest in zip freezer bags.

Ok so here is the "Final" list. I'm placing all my orders tomorrow, so the items I already have say "own" next to them, and items from campmor have their ID numbers next to them.

***** Legs *************
***** Torso ************
T-Shirt, wicking
Campmor Men's Microleece Vee Neck Pullover - 33414
3 pair light socks (own)
12 oz fuel bottle (can be sized down at a later date if needed)
1 Pot w/ lid (own)
Thermal Mug - 80919
2 Gatorade bottles
2L camelbak bladder (own)
2 Lighters, few matches (own)
Ursack (From site)
Coleman Keaz X Tent (since I saved so much money :) )
-20 Sleeping Bag (own)
100ft Rope - with 50ft in pack and rest available from mail drops if needed
http://www.armysurplusworld.com/prod...ProductID=5226 (http://www.armysurplusworld.com/product.asp?ProductID=5226)
********* ETC **********
toothbrush/paste (own)
toilet paper roll (own)
2 12X12 towels (own)
bandana (own)
compass/ATC maps
headlamp (own)

Mongoose2
01-18-2009, 22:19
Lummox; I have the Coleman Kraz; it is light, inexpensive and very well made. I used Aqua Mira for several hundred miles on the A.T. The more I read about Giardia, the more I wanted a filter, I bought the Katadyn and love it. I would however agree with several posters, you should try and lighten your load....Above all else have fun!

Runsalone
01-20-2009, 01:20
Well looks like yer all set then......oof! Have a great trip And maybe give that zia some extra clothes and help you both out HAHA!

creepingtom
01-30-2009, 12:08
Yes you do have a lot to thin out. Give it a lot of trial before hitting springer mountain. If you are re-supplying every five days or so, I really don't see why the pack weight has to be above 20 pounds. 25 pounds at the max. I could sit here and pick apart your gear list, and yes, the ability to drop loads of money on outfitting via ultralight sites is great. But if you don't have the cash to lay out, you'll need creativity, and to overcome the psychological barrier of 4 water bottles and 2 canteens. Leave the water filter behind, get a steripen or use iodine. A steripen adventurer is 4 oz w/batteries. Iodine pills are cheap and you can resupply when needed.

A negative 20 bag? Is it synthetic or down? Waterproof or not? I would say a 0 degree or 5-20 degree down bag with a liner if needed, you can sleep in all your clothes.

It's all about the psychological barrier and why you are doing this in the first place. I hope you won't make your first trip so miserable that you never go back. And DON'T heavy pack too much. You'll end up with bum knees and degenerative disc disease too!

best of luck.

You can email me if I can be of assistance.

I have made a lot of backpacking mistakes in my life. Now, at 30 years old with a bum knee and arthritis in my back, I am "embracing" the ultralight craze (excepting one thing - an Insulmat Thermo Max. Very cushy for the back - 2 lbs 2 oz - I know, sinful...)

You might also consider simply a camelbak 2 liter bladder with an in line filter from MSR.