PDA

View Full Version : Split from Health, Safety, & Hygiene: Snoring, Sleep Apnea, and Shelters

sam4msu
01-12-2009, 22:52
Does anyone have sleep apnea. I use a CPAP at home and can really tell the differrence when I don't use it. I notice while backpacking that I wake up several time a night gasping for breath. It is very disturbing but I will not let it keep me off the trail. I have tried using the breath right strips but they seem to have no effect. Just wondering if anyone has any experience that may help.

Rockhound
01-13-2009, 10:13
Do you stay at shelters? I'm not sure where I stand on this. On 1 hand, you have as much right to use them as anybody else. On the other hand, you know you're going to be keeping everybody else awake with your snoring. Is that fair to your fellow hikers?

Lone Wolf
01-13-2009, 11:35
shelters are first come, first served. non-snorers should be well aware they may be sleeping with snorers, early risers/late arrivals. aware that there'll be smokers, radios, alarm watches and cell phones. the list goes on. kinda dumb to stay in a shelter

Gumbi
01-13-2009, 11:51
Do you stay at shelters? I'm not sure where I stand on this. On 1 hand, you have as much right to use them as anybody else. On the other hand, you know you're going to be keeping everybody else awake with your snoring. Is that fair to your fellow hikers?

Why the heck would you even jump to such conclusions!!!!:mad: Quit railroading the topic. This topic has nothing to do with shelters! You are doing nothing but making yourself look ignorant.

Slo-go'en
01-13-2009, 12:39

I meet at least one guy who knew he had a bad snoring problem who always used a tent for that reason. But most don't. Maybe they don't know they have a problem or maybe they don't care.

Nearly everyone snores a little at some point in the night, myself incuded - or so I have been told. :eek:

However, it seems to never fail that the ones who snore the loudest and most consistantly all night are always the first to fall asleep! If a known rafter rattler shows up at a shelter I'm in, I'll go set up my tent in the rain.

Rockhound
01-13-2009, 14:21
Why the heck would you even jump to such conclusions!!!!:mad: Quit railroading the topic. This topic has nothing to do with shelters! You are doing nothing but making yourself look ignorant.
Simmer down sassy pants. It's a related topic and I didn't jump to any conclusions. If you'll notice I began my post by "Do you sleep in shelters?..." I also said I was undecided on the issue. I figured some input by snorers would be the fair thing to do as I clarify my on it.

Desert Reprobate
01-13-2009, 14:55
I was up 3 times one night on the PCT to chase off the bear that seemed to be prowling around my tent. It turned out I was waking myself up with my snoring.

Crawl
01-14-2009, 01:23
that's why hikers should have ear plugs........

Gumbi
01-14-2009, 10:44
Does anyone have sleep apnea. I use a CPAP at home and can really tell the differrence when I don't use it. I notice while backpacking that I wake up several time a night gasping for breath. It is very disturbing but I will not let it keep me off the trail. I have tried using the breath right strips but they seem to have no effect. Just wondering if anyone has any experience that may help.

The poor guy is having trouble sleeping and it is interfering with his hiking.

Rockhound, you were the first one to mention shelters. Sam4msu is looking for support, and new ideas of how to alleviate the symptoms of sleep apnea while on the trail. You are looking to stir up trouble by trying to turn it into a debate on whether snorers are being incosiderate by using shelters.

Please start a new thread if you want to discuss something different.

Sam4msu, I am sorry that this is taking place on your thread. I wish I had some good suggestions for you... I think it's pretty awesome that you are going to hike the trail anyway.

Maybe you could try a hammock! It might help you sleep better, and if you hang a hammock with a good deal of sag, you might be able to sleep in a more upright position.

Jack Tarlin
01-14-2009, 19:04
To be fair here, Gumbi, the original poster mentioned that his problem was "very disturbing."

Rockhound raised a perfectly legitimate point: People that, for whatever reason, i.e. sleep apnea, snoring, thrashing about, small bladders, whatever.....people that are up or get up several times during the night inevitably will disturb their fellow hikers.

And Lone Wolf raised a good point, too.

People that are prone to behavior that is likely to make extra noise, or behavior that is likely to disturb other folks (especially disturb their sleep!!) should probably avoid staying in shelters.

Likewise, most people find a way to cope with noise from other folks. However, if you are one of those folks who are particularly sensitive to noise made by others at night, you would also do well to avoid staying in shelters.

Anyway, Rockhound's point was legit, if rather bluntly made: People that wake up several times during the night gasping for breath.......well, this is indeed disturbing, as the original poster himself said.

That being said, Sam, good luck with your problem and best of luck with your hike. I think the best thing you can do about this is to consult a physician before your departure, especially an eye-nose-throat guy who specializes in sleep dis-orders.

Surplusman
01-14-2009, 20:38
After three years in the Army, I can pretty much sleep thru anything, including loud snorers &c. However, I snore and flip-flop around a lot. Out of courtesy to others and because I like it way better than a tent or a shelter, I like my old M-1966 jungle hammock with a poncho attached as a cover. I agree with Jack Tarlin that you should speak with your medicine man about your hiking with sleep apnea and what you can do about it on the trail. I had a stroke going on a year and a half ago, and I got the blessing of all of my doctors, especially my cardiologist, before I went a-hiking. The peace of mind was worth it.

Lucky-Dog
01-14-2009, 21:22
Thank you for bringing up this subject. I too suffer from sleep apnea and without my CPAP machine, my sleeping is so miserable that I suffer from fatigue the next day. When car camping in a tent with the Boy Scouts I used a car battery and an inverter with my CPAP even in rainy conditions. However overnight trail trips are much different.
After some internet research, I found CPAP portable battery packs available from Island Wide Respiratory at www.islandwiderespiratory.com/battery (http://www.islandwiderespiratory.com/battery). They have a couple of battery packs to choose from. Depending on the pressure you need, you might be able to use the bigger pack for two nights' worth of sleep. The battery packs do not need a prescription, but a light weight CPAP machine will need a doctor's prescription.
I have not purchased a battery pack yet, but plan to in 2009. Please let me know if you find out any additional information.
A good nights sleep on the trail would be worth the few pounds of extra weight of the CPAP and and battery pack. I also plan to use this set-up in a tent and away from any shelter or other people due to the slight noise the machine makes. Good luck.............Tnbigun

Lucky-Dog
01-14-2009, 21:33
Here is a updated address to the internet store for Island Wide Respiratory.

www.cpapny.com (http://www.cpapny.com)

sam4msu
01-15-2009, 11:43
Well tnbigun we may have to get together and do some hiking. I see you are in Franklin, I live in Huntsville, Al. Only an hour and a half away. I love going over for a weekend backpack to Savage Gulf. I will keep you posted as to my findings. Please do the same.

Petr
01-15-2009, 20:36
First off, do you know if you have obstructive, central, or mixed sleep apnea?

If it's central or mixed, your somewhat limited in what you can do, but that's much less common than obstructive. Obstructive sleep apnea is basically what it sounds like. Due to obesity or some random anatomical variation, the airway kind of collapses while one is supine and asleep. Some recommendations:

1. If you are obese, the simplest (but not necessarily the easiest) solution is to drop some weight. This will, obviously, help you on the trail and in living a long and healthy life. The upside here is that you will inevitably lose weight if your intention is to thru-hike.

2. Sleeping in a reclining position (i.e. like napping in a LaZBoy) can alter the gravitational parameters causing your airway to collapse. I imagine that hammock-camping creatively could simulate this (i.e. hanging the head end pretty high and the feet end a bit lower).

3. Go see a good dentist. Your local small-town hygiene and cavity guy may not be able to do it for you, but treating sleep apnea with a mouthpiece type of device that causes your lower jaw to jut out and thus propping open your airway is starting to gain traction in the States. Apparently, it's been done with some success in the UK and Canada.

4. Take your condition seriously. You're a relatively young guy and sleep apnea can be pretty insidiously damaging. Leads to hypertension (and all of its related problems) and, in bad cases, right-sided heart failure. It's good that you're using the CPAP. See if you can achieve any lifestyle-related risk reduction goals (i.e. weight loss, responsible alcohol use, quitting smoking (not trying to imply anything about you...these are just generalities)).

Good luck and happy hiking.

beakerman
01-15-2009, 21:43
Well after years of waking the wife up she says that all she ahs to do is get me over on my side or better yet on my belly--the latter being much harder to do as I've picked up a few pounds making the snoring even worse.

That's all i have for you. i know the general snore does not compare to true sleep apnea but the two are related as I understand it.

yaduck9
01-16-2009, 10:47

As a short term solution you may want to try an over the counter nasal decongestant. It may help in getting the nasal passages open so you will not need to breathe through your mouth.

I would not consider it a long term fix, but may work while you are on the trail.:-?

Lemni Skate
05-05-2009, 22:56
I lost 50 pounds before my thru-hike of Shenandoah last year so I wouldn't need the CPAP

Tin Man
05-05-2009, 23:17
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and went for the operation