PDA

View Full Version : upper body clothing for April start?

Tanya
01-14-2009, 11:02
What kind of upper body clothing should I take for an early April start? (I am all set for legs but confused about the torso for some reason).

Right now I have:

icebreaker t-shirt
icebreaker long-sleeve base layer
light-weight fleece (zipper)
mid weight fleece (zipper)
marmot precip jacket

Is this enough? too much? should I trade the midweight fleece or both fleeces for something more substantial? I don't have a light-weight jacket, but I've seen people here mention montbell; looked it up yesterday and was impressed by the descriptions. But, not surprisingly, their jackets are expensive; I don't know if an April start would justify the investment.

thank you for the input.

Happy trails,
t.

JAK
01-14-2009, 11:44
That looks good to me, wool under fleece.
The fleece may serve as a semi-wind layer if its not to cold.
The precip can serve as a wind layer if its very cold and windy, or when stopping.

I would just make sure it was sized so you could wear it all at once. So either the t-shirt or the long-sleeve a little looser than the other. Then the next layer up looser and the next layer looser again, then the precip jacket. Even if you never have to wear it all at once, if you can then you know that any two pieces could be worn in combination. The other suggestion I would make would be to change either the light-weight fleece or the medium-weight fleece to a $20 thrift store merino wool sweater, with the fleece fitting over the merino sweater. That might be too much wool to manage. You decide.

Something like:
icebreaker long-sleeve base layer skin tight but not stretched tight
icebreaker t-shirt just a little looser than above
light $20 thrift merino sweater (half zip or no zip) looser than above
100wt classic fleece (half zip) looser than above
marmot precip jacket big enough for all of the above at once

The t-shirt and the fleece and the precip might be one sized up to make that work. When warmer weather comes you might ditch a layer, or keep it all for laundring reasons.

The main reason I mention the $20 merino is that there seem to be tons of them to choose from out there, and I have a bunch and some of them are really nice. You can wear them for days without washing, and for $20 you don't have to be all that gentle when you do. You might get a few before your trip and decide whether to bring one instead of either fleece. They are great for everyday wear, even if you leave it home.

max patch
01-14-2009, 11:54
Leave one of the fleece at home. I'd keep the mid weight.

Tinker
01-14-2009, 11:54
There have been lots of hikers who, really, didn't carry enough clothing to stay warm early in the season. Most just use their sleeping bag as a robe on extra cold nights while preparing dinner, same in the morning.
Don't trade either fleece. The more layers you have, the more versatile your clothing will be, and you'll be better able to match the variable weather conditions.
I bought a Golite Polarguard filled jacket for spring and fall, but find it sometimes too hot, sometimes too cold. I went back to using a light windbreaker and fleece.
You may find the Precip to be too hot on many occasions when you try to use it as a windbreaker while hiking, but it is a good, durable rain jacket with decent ventilation.
A down vest from a goodwill store might make a worthwhile purchase.

JAK
01-14-2009, 12:36
Having the precip as a good solid rain shell, and to use it as a wind shell in extreme conditions, might be another reason to switch one of the fleece layers to wool. When needed as a wind layer, or a rain layer, wool has a little more capacity to absorb moisture and heat from your body. The fleece over the wool will save you from putting the precip on in alot of less extreme windy conditions, even in camp, and provide the opportunities for the wool to dry out. On most days the light merino sweater can be worn without any skin layers underneath, which will also help dry it out. It might not be all that different that the icebreaker long-sleeve base layer. I should be different, a little looser fit, a little looser knit, but not neccessarily much heavier, but it could also be a hand knit sweater of a shetland wool rather than merino, which also makes a great middle layer or only layer.

Gaiter
01-14-2009, 12:39

i second that

JAK
01-14-2009, 12:49
I agree that one fleece is usually enough, and it should fit over the wool not under.
My light sweater idea might be redundant with the icebreaker long-sleeve. Not sure.
Never hurts to buy a few more $20 sweaters and try them out though. :)

Depending on what the sleeping bag is though, an extra layer might help early on.

take-a-knee
01-14-2009, 16:24

I'd say ditch the mid weight fleece, keep the light one, and add a synthetic vest, like a thruhiker kit or the Patagonia Puffball.

Johnny Thunder
01-14-2009, 18:32
I started April 1st with pretty much the same set-up except the light weight fleece was a Montbell and the heavy-weight fleece was a vest I made out of a $6 KMart pullover. I ended up sending the vest home in Hot Springs...would have done it earlier but the Great Smoky National Park Boogie Man scared me into keeping it. It made a nice pillow and not much else. You could drop one of the fleeces. Maybe err on the side of caution and leave the light one at home but in either case you would be fine.

Be prepared to send things home, so don't be afraid to take both if you're really tied to them.

Tanya
01-14-2009, 22:32
thank you all for the input; invaluable as always.

So I guess I don't need to invest in montbell; too bad, I was looking for an excuse. They look so tempting. Ah well...

I think I'll start with both fleeces though. I'd rather carry a few extra oz than be deprived of sleep because of the cold. (I get cold at night very easily). My light weight one weighs next to nothing.

JAK, I do have a nice midweight merino sweater that I got a few years ago at a super sale at EMS for $15. I love it! I've used it for everything: from wearing it at home (am sitting in it as we speak) to wearing it to work - to cross country skiing - to doing section hiking in the whites. And I proudly admit that in all the years I have not washed it once. And it does not stink. It does not show any wear. It has retained its shape beautifully. Yes, it's miracle!
But as much as I love it, I don't think it'll go with me to Georgia. (I don't want to trade in my fleece and both would be an overkill).

happy trails to all,
t.

Blissful
01-14-2009, 23:05
I had a down jacket until May and glad I did. April can get cold and snowy sometimes in the mtns. You never know. But a Montbell jacket is worth it though, IMO. I actually traded my down for my Montbell synthetic in May which I carried the entire rest of the hike (I never used it in the summer but I had it just in case. Makes a nice pillow too). Weighs nothing too. I got a mens though as it was much cheaper.

Anyway, you need a jacket for an April start. You will have the smokies and Roan mtn (high elevatioon) and the balds. You need an outer layer until May and then again in the fall in New England.

Tanya
01-14-2009, 23:13
thank you, Blissful,

hmmmm, looks like I'll have a reason to follow sale deals on Montbell after all. I certainly cannot afford it for a full price. How does a men's fit? can you tell the difference as far as comfort goes?

happy trails,
t.

Blissful
01-15-2009, 20:19
thank you, Blissful,

hmmmm, looks like I'll have a reason to follow sale deals on Montbell after all. I certainly cannot afford it for a full price. How does a men's fit? can you tell the difference as far as comfort goes?

happy trails,
t.

The men's tend to run a little tight under the arms and across the chest and have longer sleeves. It was tight on me when I started but I was 20 lbs overweight. However, by the time I used it on the hike several months later, it fit perfectly and still does today. I bought a size medium. If you are not overweight or big in the chest (if you get my meaning), probably would do you fine to start.

kytrailman
01-17-2009, 10:15
i would trade the fleece for a ul down vest or jacket. Everyone likes something different.

River Runner
01-17-2009, 20:21
I'd trade the mid-weight fleece for a Montbell down jacket.