PDA

View Full Version : Wicked cold up in them thar hills

woodsy
01-14-2009, 11:58
Bundle up if you're going out !!
This weather report (http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=45.1510532655634&lon=-70.27130126953125&site=gyx&smap=1&marine=0&unit=0&lg=en) from 3600'+ el.
Taint fit for man nor beast up there.
Temp dropped 25* in about 5 hours this morn.

Lone Wolf
01-14-2009, 12:01
i used to work outside in those temps. no biggie as long as you're dressed right. snow machines love those temps. used to ride a lot

JAK
01-14-2009, 12:03
What are you guys doing?
The forecast for this weekend keeps getting colder.

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/forecast/city_e.html?nb-23&unit=i

fehchet
01-14-2009, 12:03
Yah. No biggy. Dress for it. Embrace it. Enjoy it.

JAK
01-14-2009, 12:09
Going to go out and test some clothing and gear for sure, but very close to home. :)

mudhead
01-14-2009, 12:33
http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=44.38546371&lon=-68.21038055&zoom=10&pin=Bar%20Harbor%2c%20ME

Fun gadget to poke around on. The tools on the left +-, arrows, work when you come in by the main page.

Plenty brisk out. I endure more than embrace.

Was 33* and raining when I got up, I thought that was nasty, too.

Blissful
01-14-2009, 13:58
Good for ski places here in VA.

b.c.
01-14-2009, 14:17
I am just back after 13 days on the NCT in NY and PA. I camped out 12 days in a row. It was cold.

My biggest problem was my boots freezing. Then when I put them in a garbage bag and into the bottom of the sleeping bag – but then over a 4 day period I broke the sleeping bag’s zipper by pushing my knees through it with the crowded space. And so the last 3 days I did not have a sleeping bag zipper. Very cold!

Does anyone have any ideas for me for next year with regards to frozen boots other than a better sleeping bag zipper?

Another big problem was crossing streams – man, that was scary.

Any ideas about winter stream crossings?

Yukon
01-14-2009, 14:24
Love the cold weather, makes the snow better for snowboarding and grooming, I'll be out tonight till about 2:00AM smoothing out the slopes, should be below 0 :)

Slo-go'en
01-14-2009, 14:39
Does anyone have any ideas for me for next year with regards to frozen boots other than a better sleeping bag zipper?

You could try boots with felt liners, like sorels (sp?) or LL Bean Maine pack boots. The liners are removable and aren't very thick. You could even wear them in the sleeping bag. With a good pair of wool socks, they should be warm enough for PA.

Stream crossings? No good way if it isn't frozen over.

Its up to 7* here now. Suppost to hit -35 Friday. Hasn't been that cold around here in a few years. Saw clouds of snow blowing off the summits of Adams and Madison today, must be a bit windy up there!

ASUGrad
01-14-2009, 15:47
Going camping of course. Luckily we are car camping.

woodsy
01-14-2009, 15:50
And on a brighter note, the daylight hours are getting longer and the sun stronger.
February is generally better suited for hiking and overnight camping in these parts,
January almost always kicks butt with cold temps and wind.
I hear the snow is waist deep in places up there on the AT.

buckwheat
01-14-2009, 15:58
Going to go out and test some clothing and gear for sure, but very close to home. :)

That's what I'm doing as well - mostly testing clothing under these conditions by standing around on my front porch, so I can bail back into the house should that become necessary. :eek:

Cabin Fever
01-14-2009, 16:50
Going subzero tonight on Roan Mountain. Suppose to be 4-6 in the valley so it will be super cold up there.

ki0eh
01-14-2009, 23:37

Gaiters?

kilroy
01-15-2009, 01:54
Me and Ekul are doing a section from Neels to Unicoi starting friday morning. Weather in Helen, GA is supposed to be around 7 degrees that night and doesn't get above 25 for the next two days.

I'm excited! I love hiking in the cold.

Serial 07
01-15-2009, 02:05
i got negative 1 for a high tomorrow...but worry not, it's supposed to feel like negative 26...so at least i got that goin' for me...

mudhead
01-15-2009, 07:10
Glad I'm not in Berlin, NH about now.

kayak karl
01-15-2009, 09:45
its been cold. 1/1 till now lowest night ive seen is 5* . days hang around 25-35 (except w/rain 45). i ware trail runners ( not gortex) and seal-skin socks. prop open shoes with a stick at nite so to get foot in when froze. about 1 hour hiking and they are fine. its my finger tips that hurt the most.

mudhead
01-15-2009, 09:52
If you are using gloves, consider mitts. Might keep your digits warmer.

Be safe.

woodsy
01-15-2009, 10:44
On the topic of brutal cold, anyone heard about the guy who walked from Argentina to Alaska, trying to get to Prudhoe Bay(5 years)? Got north of Fairbanks recently and had to turn back when he found temps -40/-50*F range.
Sounds like hes gonna try to finish the trek this winter though.
Story here (http://newsminer.com/news/2009/jan/06/trekker-returns-road/)

berninbush
01-15-2009, 10:47
Y'all are making me glad I live in Texas. :D

Even we are going down to freezing tonight. Today's high 54; tomorrow's 49. For us, that's cold.

All my backpacking gear is summerweight. I generally don't go out if it's going below 50 overnight (though I don't mind day-hiking in colder temperatures... I'm just a cold sleeper).

I experienced negative-Farenheit temperatures once, in Kentucky. We went out and played in the snow, but that kind of cold is not my cup of tea. I'm a good Texas girl. :) Give me 100F and humid any day.

Screech
01-15-2009, 10:53
This is all Al Gore's fault.

JAK
01-15-2009, 10:55
Well its all about who's ox your going to gore, or was it which gore your going to axe?

WalkinHome
01-15-2009, 10:56
Any idea how much snow from Monson to Shirley-Blanchard road?

JAK
01-15-2009, 11:00
Well its all about who's ox your going to gore, or was it which gore your going to axe?Sorry, I thought for a second this was the power-line corridor thread. Also, I was using lower case 'gore' as a metaphor for elected officials in general, and 'axe' as a metaphor for throwing out of office. Don't want any secret service guys breathing down my neck. Those guys are some tough hombres. :D

mudhead
01-15-2009, 13:18
Y'all are making me glad I live in Texas. :D

Even we are going down to freezing tonight. Today's high 54; tomorrow's 49. For us, that's cold.

All my backpacking gear is summerweight. I generally don't go out if it's going below 50 overnight (though I don't mind day-hiking in colder temperatures... I'm just a cold sleeper).

I experienced negative-Farenheit temperatures once, in Kentucky. We went out and played in the snow, but that kind of cold is not my cup of tea. I'm a good Texas girl. :) Give me 100F and humid any day.
But that means you have never made the snow squeak! Or did you do that in Kentucky.

I like good TX girls. Any sane man would.

woodsy
01-15-2009, 13:28
Snow Squeaks?
I've heard of Tree Squeaks :D
Stepped out to -10* this morning, not bad with calm air.
Its the dang wind that will get ya.
It's gonna be real squeaky attop MT Washington tonight
The forecast (http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/summit_forecast.php) is saying -35 F with wind chill values in the -80/-90*F range :eek:

JAK
01-15-2009, 13:31
I guess that rules out running naked on MT Washington this weekend. Dang.

SouthMark
01-15-2009, 13:33
I can't believe it. I'm a dedicated wimp and headed to SORUCK in Wesser this weekend for lows around 0º.

Lone Wolf
01-15-2009, 13:35
I can't believe it. I'm a dedicated wimp and headed to SORUCK in Wesser this weekend for lows around 0º.

nah. low of 20 on sunday http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/outdoors/weekend/USNC0081?from=36hr_topnav_outdoors

mudhead
01-15-2009, 13:37
There you go with that wind chill thing again. So much for this thread.

I hope everyone around Errol & Berlin checks in. After they are done checking on things. Was nasty there this AM.

Tonight might be a drippy faucet night.

woodsy
01-15-2009, 13:42
Tonight might be a drippy faucet night.

I'm thinking about sitting in the rocker tonight next to the woodstove with some ice cubes jinglin around in my favorite beverage while JAK is out in the woods testing his new gear :D

SouthMark
01-15-2009, 13:42
nah. low of 20 on sunday http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/outdoors/weekend/USNC0081?from=36hr_topnav_outdoors

Low of 0 Friday night.
http://www.accuweather.com/us/nc/bryson%20city/28713/forecast.asp?partner=townnews&traveler=1&zipChg=1&metric=0

JAK
01-15-2009, 13:46
I'm thinking about sitting in the rocker tonight next to the woodstove with some ice cubes jinglin around in my favorite beverage while JAK is out in the woods testing his new gear :DWell if I do go I'll have some ice cubes also, but they won't be doing much jinglin.

mudhead
01-15-2009, 13:46
I'm thinking about sitting in the rocker tonight next to the woodstove with some ice cubes jinglin around in my favorite beverage while JAK is out in the woods testing his new gear :D

Boil that water! Half buck naked and sweaty.

b.c.
01-15-2009, 14:11
Slo-go'en "You could try boots with felt liners, like sorels (sp?) or LL Bean Maine pack boots. The liners are removable and aren't very thick. You could even wear them in the sleeping bag. With a good pair of wool socks, they should be warm enough for PA."

Thanks Slo-go'en with regards to "boot freezing". I used Sorrels up until this year. Last year I thought they were slowing me down and with the extra distance I hiked this winter I was worried about blisters. Maybe it's back to Sorrels next year. Thanks!

ki0eh "Gaiters?"

Thanks ki0eh with regards to winter stream crossings. I used OR's GTX Crocodile Gaiters. Very good results. I did have to melt the ice off of the straps with a candle at the end of the day to get them unstrapped and off though. But no problem.

With these crossings, a couple of times I was on a snowy, icy, log, 2' over the 2'-5' deep stream running at 25-30 MPH with a couple of bolders around. And I am thinking to myself that I though I was a reasonably intelligent person - but I guess not!

JAK
01-15-2009, 14:52
I bought a cheap pair of sorel type boots called Yukons from a sled dog type outfitter. Years ago so you probably can't get them, but I weighed them last night and thought the description would be useful. Each boot is just 1 pound not counting the felt liner in a big clunky size 11 or 12 with lots of room for socks, most weight being the really decent tread, good soft rubber but hard wearing, rubber up to top of foot, then cheap waterproofed nylon from there. Good for trudging in snow, wet or dry, shallow or deep, but not for wading and not great for hiking on clear trails. You could leave the boots outside and just bring the liners to bed, or better have a spare set to dry one pair while wearing the other. Anyhow, somewhat heavy and clunky, but lighter and less clunky than most Sorel type. Something to look for.

Another thing to consider is buying felt liners and building a mukluk around them, not just for camp, but also for trudging in snow. They wouldn't need a decent tread and sole if you brought trail runners for cleared trail and rock and ice. I'm not sure you need so much tread and sole for plain snow, even crusty snow.

JAK
01-15-2009, 14:57
I remember reading a story in school about a young trapper that spent the winter out trapping but on the way home lost all his pelts and almost his life crossing a stream. They used to fell trees in those days to cross streams, and the wisdom was to take the time to fell two, but he was in a hurry as the stream was rising and only felled the one. Not sure how true or useful the story is today, except I think about it sometimes crossing streams, not to depend on a single log bridge for example unless your prepared to swim, but a jam of 2 together might be ok.

sheepdog
01-15-2009, 14:57
Slo-go'en "You could try boots with felt liners, like sorels (sp?) or LL Bean Maine pack boots. The liners are removable and aren't very thick. You could even wear them in the sleeping bag. With a good pair of wool socks, they should be warm enough for PA."

Thanks Slo-go'en with regards to "boot freezing". I used Sorrels up until this year. Last year I thought they were slowing me down and with the extra distance I hiked this winter I was worried about blisters. Maybe it's back to Sorrels next year. Thanks!

ki0eh "Gaiters?"

Thanks ki0eh with regards to winter stream crossings. I used OR's GTX Crocodile Gaiters. Very good results. I did have to melt the ice off of the straps with a candle at the end of the day to get them unstrapped and off though. But no problem.

With these crossings, a couple of times I was on a snowy, icy, log, 2' over the 2'-5' deep stream running at 25-30 MPH with a couple of bolders around. And I am thinking to myself that I though I was a reasonably intelligent person - but I guess not!

Have you ever tried putting boiling water in a nalgen bottle and then sticking it in you boots for an hour or so before you put them on?

fehchet
01-15-2009, 15:14
I almost had to use my gloves this morning on my way into town -- it got down to 41 degrees last night. First time I've worm long pants since bailing for Ontario. Yes, I'm back on Siesta Key.

b.c.
01-15-2009, 17:38
Sheepdog:"Have you ever tried putting boiling water in a nalgen bottle and then sticking it in you boots for an hour or so before you put them on?"

Thanks Sheepdog, sounds like a great idea. I will mention that my Jetboil (recalled?) broke down on day 6 and so I was the last 8 days without hot food or drink - let alone boiling water for boots.

Broken sleeping bag zipper, broken stove, frozen boots, treacherous stream crossings. snowstorms, ice storms, sleet, rain, half a dozen nights below 10 degrees F. - I had a hell of a winter hike. But I'm feeling fit and in shape and have a lot of entertaining stories - CAN'T WAIT TILL NEXT WINTER!

mudhead
01-15-2009, 18:07
Glad you had fun. I would have been looking around with a thumb out.

Homer&Marje
01-15-2009, 19:03
Still riding my bike to work. Was about -5 F with the wind chill. Aprox. 7 F on my ride this morning. Tomorrow is supposed to be colder, probably about -1 F with -10 F wind chill.

Rain Man
01-15-2009, 19:54

Yep. A longer sleeping bag. I always get "Long" and put my boots/shoes in a plastic bag in the extra space at bottom of my sleeping bag. Have never had frozen boots/shoes.

Rain:sunMan

joshua5878
01-15-2009, 20:20
http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=44.38546371&lon=-68.21038055&zoom=10&pin=Bar%20Harbor%2c%20ME

Fun gadget to poke around on. The tools on the left +-, arrows, work when you come in by the main page.

Plenty brisk out. I endure more than embrace.

Was 33* and raining when I got up, I thought that was nasty, too.

Thats really cool! Never seen that before! Thanks.

Waterbuffalo
01-15-2009, 21:33
I was on springer today with snowman we saw 2 other hikers the temp stayed around 20 almost all day with wind in the 20-30 mph range it was a nice biting wind

ki0eh
01-16-2009, 08:49
Sheepdog:"I will mention that my Jetboil (recalled?) broke down on day 6 and so I was the last 8 days without hot food or drink - let alone boiling water for boots.

Broke down how?

Broken sleeping bag zipper, broken stove, frozen boots, treacherous stream crossings. snowstorms, ice storms, sleet, rain, half a dozen nights below 10 degrees F. - I had a hell of a winter hike. But I'm feeling fit and in shape and have a lot of entertaining stories - CAN'T WAIT TILL NEXT WINTER!

Got a report posted anywhere? Sounds like it would be a good one... (report that is, to read in the comfort of inside :D )

superman
01-16-2009, 09:23
-22 degrees this morning. I said it's cold but at least I don't live in Burrrrlin, NH.:)

Homer&Marje
01-16-2009, 09:25
only -2* here this morning. Maybe gusts of 10 mph on winds so feels about -5*. Not too bad.

veteran
01-16-2009, 10:02
Temperature here in Garrett County, Maryland this morning.

Cookerhiker
01-16-2009, 10:12
Temperature here in Garrett County, Maryland this morning.

Makes our Minus 4 in Frostburg seem balmy!

Just got off the phone with Herrington Manner SP - I'm going there this morning to try some X-Country skiing.

DavidNH
01-16-2009, 10:25
it's 21 below this morning in Concord, NH. 38 below in Berlin NH (north of Whites).

I won't even day hike in these temps never mind camping out!

I think 10-15 below is my limit for outdoor activity.

Lets be glad we all don't live up in Fort Kent, ME where it got to 50 below!

David

superman
01-16-2009, 10:33
it's 21 below this morning in Concord, NH. 38 below in Berlin NH (north of Whites).

I won't even day hike in these temps never mind camping out!

I think 10-15 below is my limit for outdoor activity.

Lets be glad we all don't live up in Fort Kent, ME where it got to 50 below!

David

Outdoor activity amounts to going out to get more fire wood.

MaineSurveyor
01-16-2009, 11:09
-30F in Lagrange, Maine this morning

JAK
01-16-2009, 11:22
Has there ever been a study done to see how much temperature varies within a wooded area? I know its generally colder at elevation, but I wonder if during these cold air outbreaks without much wind if the some spots might be just as bad. I wonder how much it makes a difference where you choose a location. Maybe some place out of wind, in the trees, not too high, but not in a low area either, on the south side maybe, but southeast, or southwest, if you had a choice? Early sun probably.

Here is how the temperature varied at the airport last night, that's just one spot, but I think it indicated somewhat that there are flucuations, not just a trend, so there might be cold spots and colder spots.
http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/trends_table/pages/ysj_imperial_e.html

Slo-go'en
01-16-2009, 11:51
-22 degrees this morning. I said it's cold but at least I don't live in Burrrrlin, NH.:)

I only saw -19 here in town, but I wasn't up at dawn when its the coldest. A pleasent -5 now at 10:45 am. The "offical" Burrrlin temps are measured at the Miland airport and it always seems a little colder up the road there than here in town.

Cold air sinks, so its usually colder in the low valleys then higher up on the mountain. When I was living at 4400 feet on the side of Mt Adams as Gray Knob winter caretaker, I would often turn the radio on in the morning to the local AM station and hear it was -30 down in town, but was only -20 up at the cabin. Good thing Gray Knob has a wood stove and I had lots of wood!

mudhead
01-16-2009, 13:15
"Pleasant -5."

Crack me up.

I understand, but it still makes me smile.

leeki pole
01-16-2009, 13:35
Eleven degrees this morning when I walked the dogs at 0430. I honestly don't know how you guys handle 20 below. You're tougher than I am. Give me 100 degrees and 85 per cent humidity anytime.

Slo-go'en
01-16-2009, 13:47
We handle 20 below the same way you handle 100 degrees and 85% humidity - we don't go outside! (at least not for long) Up to 7* now, baulmy:-)

Back to fixing TV's - got to pay the rent!

ki0eh
01-16-2009, 15:58
Back to fixing TV's - got to pay the rent!

I predict rapid growth in that business on 2/17/09*

*date subject to change when the change.gov regime starts :D

The Old Fhart
01-16-2009, 17:07
"Cold air sinks, so its usually colder in the low valleys then higher up on the mountain. When I was living at 4400 feet on the side of Mt Adams as Gray Knob winter caretaker, I would often turn the radio on in the morning to the local AM station and hear it was -30 down in town, but was only -20 up at the cabin."Slight correction: still cold air sinks. When I worked for the Observatory for 4 winters at 6288 feet overlooking Berlin, if it was a still morning the temps could be 20ºF colder in the valleys than on the summit. If there was any breeze it would help 'mix' the air so the temperature gradient wasn't that great, or it would be warmer down below. I remember long ago when I lived in West Milan (not Miland) reading the headlines of The Berlin Reporter paper announcing the average daytime high temperature for the entire month of February was 0ºF. That was a cooold month and I didn't need the newspaper to tell me that!

puddingboy
01-16-2009, 17:14
-21 in iowa yesterday without windchill

woodsy
01-16-2009, 17:22
I checked the MWO weather graphs this morning and it was slightly warmer at about -24* F up there than Burrrrlin and many areas in western maine.

woodsy
01-16-2009, 17:38
And we may have broken the coldest temp on record here last night in Allagash country, -50* F !!
NW of Katahdin not too far, near the Quebec border/St John River on the Big Black River.
Preliminary data here, graph in celcius (http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1179)

Jack Tarlin
01-16-2009, 18:13
My landlord and employer woke me up this morning to inform me that it was 23 degrees below zero.

Being a prudent guy, I thanked him for the news, and went back to bed.

superman
01-16-2009, 18:30
I'm having company for the weekend so I had to go shopping. The battery in my Jimmy was dead. My Jetta diesel assumed I was kidding. Yes, I can plug it in but I had to get going. Fotunately, I had snow blowed my backyard and found my old blazer (denotes redneck). So I took that battery and put it in the Jimmy. My hands about froze doing it. I got all the chores done and it's warmed to 7 degrees. Life is good.:)

Cookerhiker
01-16-2009, 19:13
It was -2 when I started X-country skiing late this morning at Herrington Manor (http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/western/herringtonmanor.html) and +1 when I finished. Between the workout, the bright sun, and the trees deterring the wind, it felt great! Zero with full sun is sure more comfortable than 30 in sleet and freezing rain.

nitewalker
01-16-2009, 19:36
Zero with full sun is sure more comfortable than 30 in sleet and freezing rain.

how true that statement is. :sun:sun:sun let the sunshine

Homer&Marje
01-16-2009, 21:13
Eleven degrees this morning when I walked the dogs at 0430. I honestly don't know how you guys handle 20 below. You're tougher than I am. Give me 100 degrees and 85 per cent humidity anytime.

I would die with those temperatures. When me and the wife go to El Salvador it's always a "Trial by Fire". Without a fan at night I wouldn't survive. Air conditioning? What's that. 95* with the same relative humidity at 11 pm and at 6 am? why not. 115 during the day with 4 inches of rain? Why not!!

Give me these temperatures every day. My theory is, you can always put more layers on and put more wood on the fire. You can only take so many layers off and you're still hot and uncomfortable. And if in public, you could catch a charge. (Especially if you're near the Cog):D

Frau
01-16-2009, 23:59
4 here in Glasgow at almost 11 pm. We are hiking Rt. 11 to Fullhardt's Knob tomorrow, 3 Ridges Sunday and House Mt. (Nature Conservancy) Monday. I am wishing I had gotten the Montana Mitts last year. I do have some Dutch Army fleece lined over mitts though, which are very cumbersome but keep the cold and wind out completely. I wear them OVER my thinsulate-lined deerskin gloves. My fingers crack terribly in the cold, so I have to take extreme measures to prevent this.

Hike safely, all!

Frau

HYOH
01-17-2009, 00:32
Got up early this morning to dig a couple night crawlers for my fishin trip today. It was so dang cold I had to go back in the house and trade my sandals for a pair of sneakers. Got a couple big rubber bands and put around the legs on my shorts to keep the breeze out and was almost on my way when I heard the weather on the AM radio. Said that we'd already seen the high for the day and by noon it was goin to be down to 45* with winds all the way up to 15mph. Did a catch and release on those worms, threw another Duraflame on the fire, and hunkered down to weather the storm.

Will spring ever get here?

weary
01-17-2009, 00:36
Got up early this morning to dig a couple night crawlers for my fishin trip today. It was so dang cold I had to go back in the house and trade my sandals for a pair of sneakers. Got a couple big rubber bands and put around the legs on my shorts to keep the breeze out and was almost on my way when I heard the weather on the AM radio. Said that we'd already seen the high for the day and by noon it was goin to be down to 45* with winds all the way up to 15mph. Did a catch and release on those worms, threw another Duraflame on the fire, and hunkered down to weather the storm.

Will spring ever get here?
Let's hope not. I mean if temperatures get that warn, we'll miss the fiddlehead season again.

Weary

Brodels
01-17-2009, 23:51
It was -40 in Presque Isle, northeast of Katahdin on Thursday night/Friday morning. Almost as cold last night. I walk an hour and a half every night, but I skipped Thursday night. I can handle -20 if I dress really warmly, but that's about it.

Another record low here last night, -31. Only -27 tonight. Yippee!

At least it doesn't look like we'll get 200 inches of snow this year, so maybe spring will come relatively early. I remember going to the northern part of Baxter in mid-May last spring, and Traveler Mountain still had a bunch of snow on it. Here's to an early spring. Hopefully.

woodsy
01-18-2009, 10:02
Brodels: Here's to an early spring. Hopefully.I think its here already, temp. hovering at zero(heat wave compared to recent mornings) with possibly a foot of new snow falling by midnight! yahoo, think spring! :D

Cookerhiker
01-18-2009, 11:32
....I am wishing I had gotten the Montana Mitts last year. I do have some Dutch Army fleece lined over mitts though, which are very cumbersome but keep the cold and wind out completely. I wear them OVER my thinsulate-lined deerskin gloves. My fingers crack terribly in the cold, so I have to take extreme measures to prevent this.......Frau

I have more problems with my hands in cold weather than anything else. You've given me some good tips here - thanks.

ki0eh
01-19-2009, 08:45
Confirmed only 3* last Friday night near Duncannon. But it felt colder at 4:45 am to pee than it did at the 7:30 am themometer reading. http://erickpanger.com/atsection09/album/slides/ATSectionHike-09_07.html

Frau
01-20-2009, 07:53
Cookerhiker--I have strolled one of the paths there at Herrington Hall with my sister, who has a home just north of Oakland (not on the lake). I had no idea they have cross-country skiing there. Nessmuk has been after me to give it a try and that may be the place to go. Thanks.

Frau

Tipi Walter
01-20-2009, 08:16
Sheepdog:"Have you ever tried putting boiling water in a nalgen bottle and then sticking it in you boots for an hour or so before you put them on?"

Thanks Sheepdog, sounds like a great idea. I will mention that my Jetboil (recalled?) broke down on day 6 and so I was the last 8 days without hot food or drink - let alone boiling water for boots.

Having a store blowout on a winter trip is a sorry and pitiful experience, one reason I cache a small stuff sack of emergency supplies at my winter trailheads: extra thermarest/MSR stove and stove pump, extra white gas/spoon. On my most recent trip I was using up my fuel quicker than usual, of course it was -10 below for a couple of days, which really eats up the gas.

And there's nothing worse(well, maybe there is)than having a nice down bag with a blown out zipper. I spent many winter nights with such a wonderful thing and finally scarfed a long zipper from my bivy sack and did a tedious field repair of pulling off the old zipper and replacing it. Gotta have a zippered bag!

Cookerhiker
01-20-2009, 09:43
Cookerhiker--I have strolled one of the paths there at Herrington Hall with my sister, who has a home just north of Oakland (not on the lake). I had no idea they have cross-country skiing there. Nessmuk has been after me to give it a try and that may be the place to go. Thanks.

Frau

Herrington Manor has 10 miles of X-Country ski trails including a 5 mile loop. There's also a 5 1/2 mile trail connecting Herrington Manor to Swallow Falls SP (http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/western/swallowfalls.html) where the ice formations around the falls are beautiful.

I was out for about 2 hours and found the terrain just right - rolling but not steep. Now I'm a complete novice at X-Country skiing so if you're more experienced, you may want something more challenging. For my part, I enjoyed it so much that I'm returning tomorrow. A few more inches of fresh snow have fallen in the last few days. Tomorrow's weather is partly cloudy with high of about 20.

Ski rentals are quite reasonable - $13 for half-day, $15 for full day. That's much less than Savage River Lodge (http://www.savageriverlodge.com/) over in the state forest (http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/western/savageriver.asp).

leeki pole
01-20-2009, 11:03
Whohoo!!!!! Snowing in Mississippi this morning! Have seen this in a long time! Probably only a dusting, but it looks sweet!

Brodels
01-21-2009, 00:36
No doubt. It was almost 10 degrees here on Sunday, and people were excited about it and getting out and about as much as possible. I love Maine, but January is a damn long month. At least with February, you know March is coming, and it gets a little warmer then at least.

I'll be glad to see April and May. At least there aren't any blackflies right now though.

I think its here already, temp. hovering at zero(heat wave compared to recent mornings) with possibly a foot of new snow falling by midnight! yahoo, think spring! :D

mudhead
01-21-2009, 10:33
January is a damn long month.
I'll be glad to see April and May. At least there aren't any blackflies right now though.

But there are a few tourists! Hard to wrap my head around tourists, stopped on a slushy/chowdery road, taking pictures of a frozen beaver pond.

Some more fresh air headed this way. Not as bad as last time. Frosty in FL, too. 2+ minutes extra daylight, each day! It's coming!

Gonna take two weeks to find the proper 2/14 thingy, anyway.

b.c.
01-23-2009, 13:20
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.c. http://whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=759343#post759343)
Sheepdog:"I will mention that my Jetboil (recalled?) broke down on day 6 and so I was the last 8 days without hot food or drink - let alone boiling water for boots.

Broke down how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.c. http://whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=759343#post759343)

Got a report posted anywhere? Sounds like it would be a good one... (report that is, to read in the comfort of inside :D )

Hello Ki0eh,

On the Jetboil breakdown. The stove was going and when I attached the pot the flame retarded then went out. I could hear the gas when assembling the couplings until locked in - but then the gas was no longer flowing into the burner when I tried to re-start it. If the valve was clogged, I tried to free it up - no luck. I have the little o-ring repair kit - but to do this outside in winter would be futile with my "paws". I haven't gotten around to repairing it since I have been home.

On the trip report, I am putting it together. I use disposable cameras and I haven't gotten around to developing them yet. I'll let you know when it is posted and THANKS for asking.

-bc

b.c.
01-23-2009, 13:37
Tipi Walter: "Having a store blowout on a winter trip is a sorry and pitiful experience, one reason I cache a small stuff sack of emergency supplies at my winter trailheads: extra thermarest/MSR stove and stove pump, extra white gas/spoon. On my most recent trip I was using up my fuel quicker than usual, of course it was -10 below for a couple of days, which really eats up the gas.

And there's nothing worse(well, maybe there is)than having a nice down bag with a blown out zipper. I spent many winter nights with such a wonderful thing and finally scarfed a long zipper from my bivy sack and did a tedious field repair of pulling off the old zipper and replacing it. Gotta have a zippered bag!"

Tipi Walter, thanks for commisserating with me.

On the broken stove: I had some generous food caches approximately every twenty miles and so I was able to have plenty of cold food. Interesting, one of my staples became peanut butter cheese crackers - by Austin. When I got back my stomach was hurting a little bit and wondered if I drank bad water since I do not treat. Then I read there was a peanut butter recall, and Austin snacks was one of the food manufacturers affected by the voluntary recall. I am really beginning to feel like quite the loser!

On the broken zipper: I was not crafty enough to get it back together. I just did the best I could while shivering away. I back your opinion "Gotta have a zippered bag!" 100 percent!

Tipi Walter
01-23-2009, 14:36
On the broken zipper: I was not crafty enough to get it back together. I just did the best I could while shivering away. I back your opinion "Gotta have a zippered bag!" 100 percent!

Your post reminded me of another time when my best winter friend(my down bag)blew out a zipper on a trip(before the replacement episode)and I got my needle and floss(always carry dental floss--dual purpose), and sewed as high up the part of the zipper that wasn't broken with a tack behind it. Then I sewed the rest of the zipper closed all the way to the top. You end up with a down bag the way they used to be made: with no zippers. Just have to crawl in from the top but it works.