PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Thru-hikers forum to create, Yes or No

attroll
04-23-2004, 13:52
We need to decide on whether or not to create a 2005 Thru-hikers forum. I am asking for only 2005 Thru-hikers to vote on this. But I did create a place for others to vote if they would like to voice their opinions.
But know we need to decide on what to do with this. For example. Do we make this and open forum and let everyone participate in it or do we make it a private forum for only prospective 2005 thru-hikers to be able to access.

Like I said in a previous post there may be some 2005 thru-hikers that want to keep it private and don’t want the inputs and some of the flack that previous thru-hikers and non thru-hikers reply with. They may just want to have their own little community.

If we open it to all users then what would be the purpose of even having the 2005 forum. We could just keep posting like we do.

Jaybird
04-23-2004, 16:04
We need to decide on whether or not to create a 2005 Thru-hikers forum. I am asking for only 2005 Thru-hikers to vote on this. But I did create a place for others to vote if they would like to voice their opinions.
But know we need to decide on what to do with this. For example. Do we make this and open forum and let everyone participate in it or do we make it a private forum for only prospective 2005 thru-hikers to be able to access............................................ ..................................

ATTROLL

I voted for the I'm not a 2005 thru-hiker but make it a public forum......etc.,etc.

I plan to get my 120+ section hike miles in again in 2005...but think this is an excellent idea for those planning to become members of the CLASS of ' 05 to have a widely known website like WhiteBlaze.net! :D

okpik
04-23-2004, 17:01

tlbj6142
09-30-2004, 15:39
I know the damage has already been done, but what's the point of a separate 2005 section?

attroll
10-01-2004, 00:13
It has it pro's amd con's depending on how you look at it. For one thing they can share things that they would not normally post in the open forums. They can share what they may be afraid of and there concerns.

But the down side to it is that they might want to post them in the open forums to get answers from previous experienced thru-hikers.

It was more or less to have them get to know each other better before they got on the trail.

Flash Hand
10-01-2004, 00:35
I have had some thinkings about it... yes, it is true that experienced past thru hikers will share most important information that will help us in the future thru hike.

I have some thought, maybe some threads can be privately only use for 2005 thru hikers like, Introduction, hook ups, list of meeting places, hosts for 2005, etc while other threads would be open to public like, trail condition in 2005, how to be trail maintaining volunteer in 2005, etc.

Just 2 cents but I don't know how others would feels that way.

Flash Hand :jump

kyerger
11-05-2004, 12:19
i am not a class of 2005 thru hiker....but i plan on doing it in 2006!!!!!! i will start on 3/4/06....thats all i think about. i am waiting till i finish RN school....the hike is my reward for going through all this pain of class....:banana

The Solemates
11-05-2004, 13:36
Leave it how it is. I like reading up on hikers and helping out where i can.

smokymtnsteve
11-05-2004, 13:43
what is the harm in a private forum for the class of 2005?

there they can talk about things they don't wish to share or get comments about from the public fourm.

everyone even the folks from the private 2005 discussion group, can read post and particiapte in the public forum also.

but then again i'm about choice, freedom and the right to privacy

Lilred
03-18-2005, 22:35
I'm not a 2005 thru hiker but I voted to keep it the way it is. Though I am not thru hiking, I am planning on going for long section hikes in the summer, 4-8 weeks at a time and the information that can be shared could be invaluable to me. I'd like to be able to see what they have to say.

SalParadise
03-19-2005, 01:02
Isn't there already a 2005 private forum?

Or maybe what's needed is not a new forum, but an FAQ page for prospective hikers covering the most common questions and concerns. Maybe something like the question and then a link to a Whiteblaze thread that covered it. Certainly this website has already covered everything a nervous hiker might want to know. If the question's not covered, then suggest they post it.

But to your other point, I'd vote to keep a 2005 forum public. Though obviously some threads here get out of hand, from what I've seen, common but innocent questions from inexperienced hikers have been treated kindly by the veteran posters here.

SGT Rock
03-19-2005, 01:05
There is already a 2005. I think the question was for a 2006 forum.