PDA

View Full Version : why

nopain
01-14-2009, 15:23
why is all the pct Info so out of date?????

MOWGLI
01-14-2009, 16:18
What info are you specifically referring to? There have been some really good threads here recently about resources for hikers. Check 'em out if you haven't already.

A-Train
01-14-2009, 16:21
why is all the pct Info so out of date?????

You refering to the Yogi book which has a yearly updated supplement, Erik the Black's brand new guidbook/map set, or the data book which is updated annually?

burger
01-14-2009, 17:18
I'm guessing you're referring to the PCT Data Book and the Wilderness Press guidebooks, all of which are 3-5 years old. You have to remember that only about 3-400 people attempt thru hikes each year on the PCT. Compare that to the roughly 2,000 people who attempt the AT annually. There just isn't the market to support revising the guidebooks and data books each year for the PCT.

KG4FAM
01-14-2009, 17:50
I'm guessing you're referring to the PCT Data Book and the Wilderness Press guidebooks, all of which are 3-5 years old. You have to remember that only about 3-400 people attempt thru hikes each year on the PCT. Compare that to the roughly 2,000 people who attempt the AT annually. There just isn't the market to support revising the guidebooks and data books each year for the PCT.
Even AT stuff is not updated every year. I have a full map set from 2004 and a good number of the maps are the same as the ones from 2008.

Mags
01-14-2009, 17:52
..and really how "out of date" is the info?

Topo lines do not change. The trail reroutes are (usually) minor. The major changes are in towns...and that is easily dealt with for most people. (OMG! THEY DON'T HAVE THE AYCE BUFFET ANYMORE! THE HORROR! THE HORROR! :p)

sarbar
01-14-2009, 18:49
(OMG! THEY DON'T HAVE THE AYCE BUFFET ANYMORE! THE HORROR! THE HORROR! :p)

That could be you know, like, the worst thing ever! :D

burger
01-14-2009, 21:30
The major changes are in towns...and that is easily dealt with for most people. (OMG! THEY DON'T HAVE THE AYCE BUFFET ANYMORE! THE HORROR! THE HORROR! :p)
One of my all-time worst moments on the AT was getting to a place in Vermont where the Companion said you could by a Coke...and finding they didn't sell Cokes. If I was expecting AYCE and couldn't get it, someone might get hurt.

Mags
01-14-2009, 21:52
If I was expecting AYCE and couldn't get it, someone might get hurt.

I know we are joking, but it is amazing how many people get bent out of shape for something like the above (not meaning you burger..honest! :) ). You'd think if they can walk several hundred miles, finding an alternate place to eat would work....

Restaurants esp are a fickle business. What was true 6 mos ago (or even less) may change by the time hikers get into town.

Heck, just where I live , a vegan restaurant went from an earthy, crunchy "Mother Gaia loves us" kinda place to a PHILLY CHEESE STEAK restaurant in the space of a a few months.

Shows how things can change rapidly...and how I can't think of a better use of a vegan restaurant than to turn it into a place where greasy, meat filled sandwiches are the main motif. :D

Dogwood
01-14-2009, 22:23
Yes, to all of the above replies.

TwoForty
01-14-2009, 22:47
..and really how "out of date" is the info?

Topo lines do not change. The trail reroutes are (usually) minor. The major changes are in towns...and that is easily dealt with for most people. (OMG! THEY DON'T HAVE THE AYCE BUFFET ANYMORE! THE HORROR! THE HORROR! :p)

I met a guy who was doing a big mile day to get a McDonalds cheeseburger when I informed him that the next town was devoid of any fast food joints and only had an overpriced tourist trap of a pub. He looked like I just kicked his dog.

burger
01-14-2009, 23:35
I know we are joking, but it is amazing how many people get bent out of shape for something like the above (not meaning you burger..honest! :) ). You'd think if they can walk several hundred miles, finding an alternate place to eat would work....
For me, it only gets to be a problem when you're really, really looking forward to getting food someplace (like at a road crossing), and you plan ahead for 2 days to time you arrival just right...and the place is closed. That just sucks.

But in general, you just have to roll with the punches, like with everything else on the trail. Long-distance hikes are no time to be inflexible.

Jonnycat
01-15-2009, 10:30
You have to remember that only about 3-400 people attempt thru hikes each year on the PCT.

Let's keep it that way. :)

wandering_bob
01-15-2009, 11:03
The first item on a thru-hiker's list of 10 essentials is FLEXIBILITY.:-?

If you can't roll with the unexpected or have difficulty accomodating change, I'd strongly suggest you stay home; save yourself a lot of frustration and pain. IT WILL HAPPEN.

Mother Nature can be a PITA and the Trail Gods are her instruments of torture. Getting better each day at over-coming what they toss your way while continuing on towards trail's end is one of the rewards of the hike. The self-confidence gained will serve you well in life.

MOWGLI
01-15-2009, 11:06
The first item on a thru-hiker's list of 10 essentials is FLEXIBILITY.:-?

Blessed are the flexible. For they do not get bent out of shape.