PDA

View Full Version : wood burning stoves on the FT? (along with other questions)

calculating infinity
01-14-2009, 15:32
i have stealth camped, biked, day hiked and bushwhacked a lot in south florida my whole life but now im starting to get into backpacking and legit camping (read: not walking out into the bush and hanging your hammock wherever you please though always following the LNT ethic) and i have some questions i never bothered/needed to ask before.

are wood burning stoves allowed on the florida trail (something along the lines of a diy bushbuddy)?

ive always been able to carry as much water as needed for my short overnight trips and ive heard many times that florida water is exceptionally bad for you. on longer trips is chemical treatment enough to keep me from getting sick? what about pollution? from swimming in lakes in canals throughout childhood without becoming ill im assuming as long as i dont pick terribly stagnant/gross water then yes.

since most of my outdoors experience has been off trail ramblings through woods, marshes and swamps i havent been able to determine if on the trail, solo hikers experience a lot of harrassment and problems from townspeople and weirdos. should i always have a partner and/or some pepper spray with me? (ive always found it funny that im more scared of people than of alligators and water moccasins.)

i now live near UF and was hoping someone could let me in on some nice day hiking here. ive already been to paynes prarie, beautiful place but i really miss my south florida swamp/marsh hikes.

one last thing, im trying to find a class or something where i can learn about foraging for wild edibles in florida but i havent had much luck. does anyone know where i might find some information on the subject?

thanks to anyone who has posted info on here already, its been a great help. i hope to be financially ready to thru hike by jan 2010 though i may have to put it off due to my insatiable appetite for paris.

JaxHiker
01-14-2009, 16:46
ive always been able to carry as much water as needed for my short overnight trips and ive heard many times that florida water is exceptionally bad for you. on longer trips is chemical treatment enough to keep me from getting sick? what about pollution? from swimming in lakes in canals throughout childhood without becoming ill im assuming as long as i dont pick terribly stagnant/gross water then yes.

I carry a Hiker Pro filter and tablets as a backup if it's really nasty. I don't think I'd try any w/o some sort of filtration.

one last thing, im trying to find a class or something where i can learn about foraging for wild edibles in florida but i havent had much luck. does anyone know where i might find some information on the subject?
You might try here (http://www.eattheweeds.com/www.EatTheWeeds.Com/EatTheWeeds.com/EatTheWeeds.com.html) for starters.

Gray Blazer
01-15-2009, 08:58
Welcome to title-town. Lots of good hiking within an hours drive of here. FT access at Keystone Heights, Bardin (home of the Bardin Booger), Olustee, Inverness and Citrus Co. and Ocala National Forest. Suwanee River near Lake City with access to FT. I noticed there was some hiking signs on the way to Cedar Key which may be those marshes you are missing.

calculating infinity
01-15-2009, 14:19
thanks a lot!

BumpJumper
01-15-2009, 17:39
Cal...:welcome:welcome
I live a few miles from the FT near the Ocala Forest. If you ever want to do some day hikes up this way, shout at me. There are three of us in this area that do it alot so one more wont matter.
As far as some answers for you, FloridaHIkes or Hammock Hanger are good ones for that.
Also, go to http://floridahikes.ning.com Sandy has a nice Florida hiking site that may help you alot.