PDA

View Full Version : Pillow

kythruhiker
04-23-2004, 14:47
I've tried for years to get by without a pillow at night in the woods, but invariably, I sleep better with a decent pillow. Right now I'm using a Slumberjack Camp Pillow, 10x20", stuffs small and light, and on top of a stuff sack of clothes, it gives me just enough support to get a decent night's sleep. It's nearing the end of its usability - any recommendations for a decent lightweight pillow for a replacement?

Thx,
kythruhiker

orangebug
04-23-2004, 14:56
You have a stuff sack full of clothes. Why not wrap it in a fleece and do without more space occupying gear?

:-?

Bill...

kythruhiker
04-23-2004, 14:58
I haven't tried wrapping a sack of clothes in fleece (which I now will try), but I have tried every other possible combination of clean/dirty clothes over the last 15 years, and none are as comfortable as a non-lumpy, non-stinky pillow.

Furlough
04-23-2004, 16:36
I too use to hike with a pillow. But now pretty much use my clothing stuff sack. My son uses an inflatable pillow he got from Wal- Mart. It is about 2 and half inches thick when inflated and takes up very little space when packed.

Harry

Kerosene
04-23-2004, 17:07
On my recent section hike I brought along the 1 oz. inflatable pillow described on this very site by StoveStomper in this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4102). I put the partially inflated wings inside a stuff sack partially filled with clothing, wrapped the whole thing in my fleece sweater, and was quite comfy.

Kerosene
04-23-2004, 17:09
Another idea is to bring along a 4-liter water bladder and partially inflate (after you've dumped out the water) to make a pretty big pillow that you can wrap in your fleece.

kythruhiker
04-23-2004, 17:24
Good ideas all, I'm headed out this weekend, will try a few of them.

Thx!

steve hiker
04-23-2004, 22:01
Airline pillow.

Clothes are hard as a rock when your head's on them.

MedicineMan
04-23-2004, 22:02
got the water wings from Wally World, just cant remember which cartoon character is on them....they work well in the HH