PDA

View Full Version : Trail Conditions Beauty Spot to Chestoa

Big Guy
01-14-2009, 22:05
Does anyone have trail conditions and road conditions for Beauty Spot to Chestoa. May park at Indian Grave Gap if the forest road is not passable. Planning to hike this section of the trail on Saturday. Know it will be cold. Looking for how much snow and ice to expect. Thanks

Tennessee Viking
01-14-2009, 23:43
I was up there at Indian Grave Gap just over a week ago. And the roads were clear. Even USFS 230 was open, even though the road is supposed to be closed during winter. It may be open for the last part of hunting season with it being so warm. But yesterday, I did see that Unaka had some heavy frost and some snow on top from the interstate.

I would call the Unicoi Forest Office to check the status of the 230 gate and road.

4400 Unicoi Dr
Unicoi, TN 37692
(423) 735-1500

The spring north of Beauty Spot is closed due to sulfur contamination. Then the climb down from Beauty Spot to 230 can be tricky if icy. But a snowy Beauty Spot...very cool.

Just take some snow cleats or Yak Traks to be safe. The only real bad spots on that section is the steep climb down from Curley Maple Shelter to Jones Branch Hollow. It can get really slick there if you are not looking. Then next is Jones Branch Hollow, most of water crossings are bridged now, but it still has a couple small fords/rock hops but other than that its more rocky trail through the hollow.

But its a very doable section within a day

Last winter, I was able to drive it during one of the heaviest snowfalls.

dmax
01-15-2009, 23:35
I'll drive up in the morning to see if the gate is open.

Tennessee Viking
01-16-2009, 00:49
I'll drive up in the morning to see if the gate is open.The weather dudes are reporting windchills in the negatives on the mountain tops, and possible snow fall Saturday going into Sunday. I would definitely take some yack traks, layer up, and take some warm/hot water in a thermos.

I did Rock Creek Falls at near 0 temps, and found my water bladder frozen over within an hour.

dmax
01-16-2009, 17:28
The gate is closed. I checked today. I ended up going to rocky fork to do alittle hiking. It was a nice day for a walk. I'm glad there wasen't a breeze.

Big Guy
01-18-2009, 10:58
Thanks for the responseds. Dur to the cold have rescheduled to next weekend.

Tennessee Viking
01-18-2009, 19:57
Icy road conditions Sunday morning even in the lower elevations and cities.

Cabin Fever
01-18-2009, 20:15
USFS 230 is closed on the Unaka side too. I was at Red Fork Falls on the 9th.