PDA

View Full Version : AT Thru-Hike Budget

Vonderbach
01-14-2009, 23:33
From http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45112

My brother-in-law is here with me and we're trying to put together a budget. But considering our combined lack of experience, I thought it would be wise to ask some of the experienced thru-hikers, what was your budget and why?

If you feel like elaborting, it would be nice to know what money was spend where.

Gear, Food, Incidentals, Supplies, etc?

Blissful
01-15-2009, 20:14
We spent $4000 per person for the hike, excluding gear. We did use town facilities, hostels and motels, and ate in restaurants. Half our supplies were bought, half via mail drop. From what I have seen ere on WB that seem about the going budget for a thru, give or take.

Serial 07
01-15-2009, 20:17
$4000 should get you to Katahdin...

Copper Tail
01-27-2009, 14:07
Wow! Living large on the trail! It would be cheaper for me to stay home! Lol.

There are a lot of factors in your budget. Vices, restaurants, hotel/motels, mail drops (useless IMHO).

My cousin and I did a SOBO thru hike way back in 1986. Mind you I'm spitting 1986 dollars at you here.

I saved all of my receipts from that trip and I arrived at Springer having spent just under $700 on the trail. That does not include my gear and travel expenses. Just my resupply and miscellaneous expenses on the trail.

My cousin by comparison blew a little more than twice that of myself. The difference between us is that he enjoyed a few more umm "beverages" along the way than I did. I am close to being a teetotaler. I'll imbibe like on a birthday or New Years. I don't do it for recreation. He also ate more fast food and stuff. I almost exclusively did my own cooking the entire trail.

I'm starting a NOBO thru hike in April. Again, I'm taking a purist approach to it. Cooking mostly for myself. Zero days in hotels/motels. Stay at hostels only when weather is too rough for the trail. No alcohol unless it's my birthday or yours and you're sharing!

I'll update back here hopefully after completing another successful thru to let you guys know how much it cost for me.

Jack Tarlin
01-27-2009, 15:07
Even with a spartan budget, don't expect to spend 700 bucks this time!

1986 was awhile ago......how much was a bottle of Coke then, thirty-five cents?

Unfortunately, everything costs more these days, and in some cases, it costs a lot more.

I think for most folks, not counting the initial investment in gear, and not counting trasportation to and from the Trail, I think most folks spend between three and five thousand dollars, so the folks who previously mentioned $4,000 are definitely in the ballpark. Obviously, the more time you spend in town, the more you'll spend, and drinkers and smokers will also need to allocate more money.

Copper Tail
01-27-2009, 16:27
Even with a spartan budget, don't expect to spend 700 bucks this time!

1986 was awhile ago......how much was a bottle of Coke then, thirty-five cents?

That's about the ballpark I remember for Coke. Much different than now for certain.

I only wish I could do the trail again for $700! Those were the days.

I have enough put back to take the year off. I'm lucky my house is payed for. I'm going to attempt a yo-yo this time. I only wish I still had my 18 year old body! Back in '86 we completed the trail in 104 days. We never took zero days, but took nero days about once a week.

I'm going to try to make good time to Maine, but take a more relaxed pace coming back south.

Johnny Swank
01-27-2009, 16:41
That's about the ballpark I remember for Coke. We never took zero days, but took nero days about once a week.
coming back south.

I wish I'd done that on the AT when I thru-hiked. My wife and only took 6 days off on the Mississippi River (3 to dodge a hurricane:eek:), and made some miles every day. I felt a hell alot better keeping some momentum up, even if it was only for an hour or two out of town. We're planning on doing the same thing on the PCT whenever possible.

stranger
01-29-2009, 02:22
Even with $4000 you would need to keep yourself in check somewhat