PDA

View Full Version : day hikes around roan/boone area?

jodestick
01-15-2009, 12:42
i am headed to the roan/boone area this weekend. we are renting a cabin and planning on day hiking in the area. i have been advised that the view from hump mt. may not be worth the walk in the cold. does anyone have any must see ideas for this area? i was thinking watuga lake....roan....hump...dennis cove...any other thoughts? i'm even open to awesome mt. towns worth exploring off trail as well. thanks!

Lone Wolf
01-15-2009, 12:48
i am headed to the roan/boone area this weekend. we are renting a cabin and planning on day hiking in the area. i have been advised that the view from hump mt. may not be worth the walk in the cold. does anyone have any must see ideas for this area? i was thinking watuga lake....roan....hump...dennis cove...any other thoughts? i'm even open to awesome mt. towns worth exploring off trail as well. thanks!

who told you that? dress for the cold you'll have no problem

jodestick
01-15-2009, 12:54
someone said visibility might be null. its supposed to be partly cloudy on sat. i am leaning towards doing it....but i would still like options for other day hikes that are great in the winter.

Lone Wolf
01-15-2009, 13:00
http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/outdoors/weekend/USTN0429?from=36hr_topnav_outdoors looks fine for saturday

showcase
01-15-2009, 13:46
laurel falls in the dennis cove area is a huge attraction, nice day hike and easy sailing!

Marta
01-15-2009, 13:48
I can't promise you anything for Saturday specifically, but when it's really, really cold you often get the best views.

corialice81
01-16-2009, 22:28

The parkway near boone has several options for day hikes. Green knob trail, daniel boone hike, price lake loop, tanawah trail, moses cone manor, and grandfather mtn. These can all be access on the blue ridge parkway. If you stop at the Mast General Store or Footslogger off of King Street in Boone, the staff can provide maps for you. If the weather is clear and you don't mind paying 15 dollars I highly recommend Grandfather Mtn. Awesome! Have fun! I love Boone!

Tennessee Viking
01-16-2009, 23:44
i am headed to the roan/boone area this weekend. we are renting a cabin and planning on day hiking in the area. i have been advised that the view from hump mt. may not be worth the walk in the cold. does anyone have any must see ideas for this area? i was thinking watuga lake....roan....hump...dennis cove...any other thoughts? i'm even open to awesome mt. towns worth exploring off trail as well. thanks!Cabin Fever was a bit more concerned over temps. With the recent death on Grassy Ridge, mountain tops at low temps are not good. Roan can still be a fun experience even with it being clouded over. The real deal will be temperature. Temps for the low elevations will be high of 20s, and lows of 5. Mountain tops will be in the negatives with possibility of snow. The wind will pickup quite a bit on the Humps and Roan High, so cover up and layer up.

If plans for Roan change, you have to visit the Mast Stores in Valle Cruicis, NC. Bring money for the candy.

You also want to check out Elk River Big Falls, and if possible Jones Falls.
Its a very short walk to the falls. Then a mile to the AT.
- Head into Elk Park, NC look for faded 'Elk River Falls' signs on the highway to Elk River Road.
- Head down the road a couple miles to Elk River Rec Area where the road turns gravel. Then falls are short walk from the parking area.
-To Jones Falls (100ft), walk the gated forest road for about a mile to where the road fords the river. Don't cross. Instead walk to the left on a small trail on the river side. You will come to a small branch, cross it, and climb a small grade to the AT at the mouth of Jones Branch Hollow. The falls are about a mile up a good grade to where there is a blue blazed trail to the falls. Recent rains and icy temps will provide some great pics.

Unaka/Erwin area - Rock Creek Falls, Rattlesnake Ridge Trail to the Unaka Overlook, Limestone Cove Trail to Stamping Ridge. AT from Indian Grave Gap to Deep Gap is nice.

Dennis Cove area - AT can take you to Laurel Falls and Potato Top. Folk Ridge & WhiteRocks. There are also Coon Den Falls, but its icy and dangerous during winter. Laurel Fork Trail is great trail but requires a number of knee deep fords. Pond Mountain Trail on USFS 50 is another good easy trail with views for the first couple miles, but it gets rough around the old Bear Stand area.

Linville Falls on the parkway.

Upper Creek Falls on NC 181.

Clarks Creek and Horse Creek areas on TN 107 in Washington and Greene Counties.