PDA

View Full Version : How young to start hiking?

tucker0104
01-15-2009, 13:34
I have a 5 month old springer spaniel. I was wondering if anyone had experience with hiking with a puppy. I am not taking him on any thru hikes but do want to take him on a 3 or 4 day long hike. nothing more than 10 mile days. What is everyone's opinion?

Mercy
01-15-2009, 14:24
Remember that though puppies are high energy, they need lots of sleep, too. If you take the pup, make sure to time for a mid-day nap. (Good excuse to lay in a sunny spot with a pup curled up by you!)

Don't put any weight (a pack) on the puppy 'til its done growing.

Ender
01-15-2009, 14:38
I would wait to do any multi-day trips with the dog until it was 1.5-2 years old... probably closer to 2 years. Before that it's still growing, and lasting damage can be done while it's still developing. Short day hikes you could probably do now, start teaching it trail etiquite. Long day hikes maybe around 1 year?

WritinginCT
01-15-2009, 14:44
Thinking back to when Peanut was that age I would say she could do a 10m day - but not several of them in a row.

I would say a 3-4 day hike would be okay - but let the pup set the pace and mileage. If he starts slowing down, take a break. (and if he's anything like Peanut, it will mean that you actually have to sit down and be still for a while too- she was always afraid to take a nap thinking she might miss something if I was up an moving around).

Dogs/puppies aren't any different than humans in that they need to build up their endurance. And don't forget that pups burn off so much more of what they eat than older dogs- either bring nutritious dog biscuits for snacks or feed him his kibble in small increments throughout the day when you rest.

The Solemates
01-15-2009, 15:02
the pup will be fine. 10 miles is nothing. we took ours out that young or even younger. he did circles around us (and still does).

Phreak
01-15-2009, 17:19
I have a 5 month old springer spaniel. I was wondering if anyone had experience with hiking with a puppy. I am not taking him on any thru hikes but do want to take him on a 3 or 4 day long hike. nothing more than 10 mile days. What is everyone's opinion?
No strenuous exercise of any sort until the dog reaches one year of age. Doing so before then can affect their joint development. The exception to this are pit bulls, which can begin structured exercise at 6 months of age.

The Solemates
01-15-2009, 17:44
i'm 100% certain my dog runs more than 10 miles just during the course of a normal day in the back yard.

tucker0104
01-15-2009, 18:45
Mine too. I take him on a 3 mile walk and he probably gets 6 miles in runnning back and forth.

CrumbSnatcher
01-15-2009, 20:02
Remember that though puppies are high energy, they need lots of sleep, too. If you take the pup, make sure to time for a mid-day nap. (Good excuse to lay in a sunny spot with a pup curled up by you!)

Don't put any weight (a pack) on the puppy 'til its done growing.
i completely agree.is the pup small enough to carry when needed?

CrumbSnatcher
01-15-2009, 20:03
No strenuous exercise of any sort until the dog reaches one year of age. Doing so before then can affect their joint development. The exception to this are pit bulls, which can begin structured exercise at 6 months of age. don't know anything about pit bulls but everything else PHREAK is saying is true. also check with your vet.a good starting point!!!

shelterbuilder
01-15-2009, 21:29
I would wait to do any multi-day trips with the dog until it was 1.5-2 years old... probably closer to 2 years. Before that it's still growing, and lasting damage can be done while it's still developing. Short day hikes you could probably do now, start teaching it trail etiquite. Long day hikes maybe around 1 year?

Ender is right on-target -- at that age, the growth-plates of the dog's bones can be seriously damaged by too much strenuous exercise. A one day hike under 8 miles would (maybe) tire him out, but 3-4 days in a row could cause problems for the dog further down the road. There'll be time for long hikes later - go easy for now.

Mercy
01-15-2009, 21:42
Hmmmm. I wouldn't think of walking as strenuous exercise for a dog.

I do think, the younger the dog, the shorter the duration needs to be between rests... sleeping rests.

A puppy is strongly influenced for the good or bad the first six months of its life. If you take the puppy, make sure its a fun time for the dog... that the purpose of the hike is for you and your pup to share fun. Take special care that your pup doesn't get scared during that time.

A couple day hike? Can you bail early if the pup stops having a good time?

I could probably say the same thing for kids....

Gaiter
01-15-2009, 22:35
i think that depends on how far a long in training the dog is, master the basics before adding a trail to the mix....
getting them used to something on the back earlier is a good idea, target occasionally has doggie shirts for cheap

Wise Old Owl
01-17-2009, 12:56
Really that was a very good question, Puppys need excercise and a walk around a big park is good for the dog. I noticed most puppys if they tire out will plop down. I just pick him up and put him in the pack for the rest of the way.... that's how this picture was taken.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=18646&catid=member&orderby=views&direction=DESC&imageuser=11552&cutoffdate=-1

TinyBoy
02-09-2009, 18:04
You could definetely take a puppy on a 4 or 5 day hike, As said before, just don't give it any weight to carry and make sure it has lots of water. A couple of months ago, we went to Uwharrie (real easy trail only 10 or so miles,) and it was drought season, there was absolutely no water, so, we had to let my 4 year old female black lab drink urine. :( Near the end of the trail my dog suffered from heatstroke. We got to the trailhead and made a stretcher and carried our dog to the truck where we gave her lots of water. She is now ok:):sun:):sun:)

Highpointbound
02-09-2009, 21:09
The exception to this are pit bulls, which can begin structured exercise at 6 months of age.
Where do people come up with this stuff? Pitbulls are not freakish things of nature that are totally different than other dogs. They are not some "super breed" that can do things other dogs cant. This is what helps get them the "killing machine" reputation that some idiots have of them. They can be a hardy breed, but so are other dogs. Pitbulls need the same considerations and care as any other dog. I say this having owned and raised the breed for the past 10 years.

My opinion is at 5 months old, shorter day hikes should be done, not long 3-4 day hikes. Then as the pup gets close to a year and over, he will be better equipped body wise and in shape to do longer hikes. Why push it?

Tinker
02-09-2009, 21:18
Puppy or adult dog, make sure that your pet gets in shape for a long hike just as you do. You wouldn't go hiking with leather soled loafers, and your dog shouldn't go with soft pads. Take short hikes with him to toughen up those pads (as well as tone the muscles), and keep the nails clipped to avoid snagging (from a former Petco employee).

Edit: Make sure the dog follows commands extremely well, especially "LEAVE IT!" so he won't run away or bother other hikers, wildlife, or other dogs. :)