PDA

View Full Version : Cloudland Canyon?

mister krabs
01-15-2009, 14:08
Hey folks, We're going up to chattanooga this weekend, and I have monday off so I was thinking of stopping at cloudland canyon on the way back for dayhiking and car camping. Freezing camping YAY! :banana

The park map doesn't really give me a good idea of where is the best place to camp there or if it will even be worth it. Got any tips for me? East rim, west rim, backcountry or what?

It'll be another good taste of cold weather camping for my southern son. Can't have him grow up too soft! Too bad he'll never get to do "Camp Alaska" like my scout troop used to do where we went out every year to have a campout and make our own shelter in the snow. Uphill! Both ways!

...Get off my lawn!

MOWGLI
01-15-2009, 14:17
Hey folks, We're going up to chattanooga this weekend, and I have monday off so I was thinking of stopping at cloudland canyon on the way back for dayhiking and car camping. Freezing camping YAY! :banana

The park map doesn't really give me a good idea of where is the best place to camp there or if it will even be worth it. Got any tips for me? East rim, west rim, backcountry or what?

It'll be another good taste of cold weather camping for my southern son. Can't have him grow up too soft! Too bad he'll never get to do "Camp Alaska" like my scout troop used to do where we went out every year to have a campout and make our own shelter in the snow. Uphill! Both ways!

...Get off my lawn!

I have day hiked there a bunch of times but never camped. You'll probably have the place to yourself considering the weather. My guess is the backcountry spots will be more to your liking. The rest is pretty much car camping.

Enjoy.

Two Speed
01-15-2009, 14:24
Never camped at Cloudland, but have hiked past the backcountry sites. They looked like they'd be great, but possibly a little exposed if the wind kicks up real good. Might wanna see if they have a cabin open. They're right on the canyon rim and should have some great views from the porch.

Grinder
01-15-2009, 18:07
I camped there 5 years ago.

Unless you are in a camper, you have to go to the primitive campground. It's great. Picnic table, fire ring and lots of space. The showers and restroom are close and the shower water is wonderfully hot!!!

As I recall, you turn left after checking in and it's about 1/2 mile.

A trail from the back of th campground goes to the west rim and around the u to the east rim. There is a water fall overlook on the east rim walk and a lodge.

Nice place.

Grinder

hootyhoo
01-15-2009, 20:44
I forgot about that place. I might need to get over there and sleep in BC. What is the dog policy -fee policy- water quality/availability? Any help might also assist the original poster.

Grinder
01-15-2009, 21:31
Hooty,

It's a state park. search for georgia state parks. all the info is there. There was a fee. Reservations were recommended. Water wasn't a problem, It came out of a tap. I don't know about dogs, but girlfriends were allowed.

Grinder

mister krabs
01-16-2009, 09:52
Thanks folks, I'll report back.

You wouldn't believe the holy rash of crap that my wife is giving me about taking the boy hiking and camping in freezing weather. But then again, she's from New Orleans in the subtropics where you have to turn on the AC at Christmas.

MoBill122
01-16-2009, 18:31
Trenton shows 9-10 degrees low tonight... and if you stay on a rim, you'll have wind chill down to ZERO... BRRRrrrrr
Might be a good way to make a MAN out of your son, or just might make him tell you HELL NO, next time you ask him to go camping ! <G>
The wooden steps and platforms are pretty dangerous around the water falls, when they get all iced up.
Just remember, if you mess up, there might not be anyone around to help you out !

MoBill122
01-16-2009, 18:35
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/5/8/0/3/cloudlandcanyon_055_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=30021&catid=member&imageuser=15803)
Cloudland in ice !