PDA

View Full Version : Tent Platform

charlottebronte
04-23-2004, 22:03
What exactly is meant by a tent platform? I can think of several possibilities:
a. wooden platforms rigged with canvas tents sleeping as many as 8 on cots....a wonderful memory from summers in my youth; these are known as platform tents and are/were common in New England.
b. an asphalt square, sorta like a motorhome pad
c. a wooden platform with stilts to offset the slope of a campsite, but no tent on top.....you pitch your own.
d. other

flyfisher
04-23-2004, 22:25
C

the system says just saying C is too short....

DebW
04-24-2004, 08:05
You will also sometimes see the term "tent pad" which is like a tent platform but made of dirt, and usually not as flat.

TJ aka Teej
04-24-2004, 11:45
The rafting outfits around Caratunk use those "a" setups still, Charlotte.
Here's a pic of the tent platform at the Birches.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/1084/password/0/sort/1/cat/all/page/2

Chef2000
04-24-2004, 12:09
I like them so much, I wish they were every where, Just make sure you have enough cord to tie off a non free standing tent, like mine. Most platforms have nails or eye hooks or something for this purpose. My cords are long enough where I can actually stake them to the ground below the platform if I have to.:jump

Footslogger
04-24-2004, 12:42
You'll tend to find more of them the further north you go on the AT. Only problem I ever had with them was that they were often soaking wet and sometimes had standing puddles on them. Then again ...we had an inordinate amount of rain last year.

Peaks
04-26-2004, 09:38
What exactly is meant by a tent platform? I can think of several possibilities:
a. wooden platforms rigged with canvas tents sleeping as many as 8 on cots....a wonderful memory from summers in my youth; these are known as platform tents and are/were common in New England.
b. an asphalt square, sorta like a motorhome pad
c. a wooden platform with stilts to offset the slope of a campsite, but no tent on top.....you pitch your own.
d. other

Think of the summer camp of your youth, but without the tent and cots set up on it. Just a raised wooden platform, roughly 10 x 10, ready for you to set up your tent on it.

You will probably use some parachute cord to extend the loops on your tent where the stakes usually go. Tie off points are on the side of the platform.

Rambler
05-19-2004, 12:38
You'll find two photos here of platforms: one with a single tent on it, and one big enough for two tents. These are very common at shelter sites along the AT in New England. They are often found where on-the-ground sites would be difficult to have because of the terrain. They usually have eye-rings to help with tie-offs, or space between the boards to rig up a line. tent platforms (http://community.webshots.com/album/83898405vcyJzn)