PDA

View Full Version : new pack on the way, if any are interested...

MedicineMan
04-23-2004, 22:25
Ordered this pack just for fun:

http://www.luxurylite.com/

Cant say when it will get here, the co. owner is doing a section on the PCT.
If any are interested here let me know and I will post on it after it gets here and hits the trail.
Been a long time since I carried an external but it looks like someone has addressed the weight issue, the tubes look nice for organizing and remove the need for a pack cover (never used one anyway)...so we will see.

attroll
04-23-2004, 23:04
This does not look like a comfortable pack in my opinion.

MedicineMan
04-24-2004, 00:35
experimental, though some have used it on thru's on the PCT with good results....kind of exciting about the lounger option at a 2oz penalty, comes with it...it wont be here for a while or i would try it out on next weeks 5 day section hike :(

Youngblood
04-24-2004, 08:19
MM,

How does this pack attach at your shoulders?

Youngblood

SGT Rock
04-24-2004, 09:14
I think I saw the prototype of this pack. There was a hiker (I cannot remember his name right now) that was making a pack for himself very much like this but with a different name. Of course this was oaver a year ago LOL, I guess he is working the bugs our.

Streamweaver
04-24-2004, 11:04
FYI-the guy that owns Luxurylite is Valcour who is a regular at www.backpacking.net. Streamweaver

SGT Rock
04-24-2004, 11:11
Yes, that was the guy.

Bonehead
04-24-2004, 19:10
Cost $650 with introductory offer at $350 until July 1 not even a bone head like me would go for that. :rolleyes:

MedicineMan
04-24-2004, 21:45
Well you never know until you try,,,maybe it will end up in the warehouse with 33years of gear, then again maybe it will fall into my hiking scheme offering advantages over what I'm carrying. Something to be said about encapsulation-I have grimaced when on the hunt for something on the bottom of the one giant cavity pack. The weight is finally there ---for an external--- and the comfort is big question.
Like Sgt. Rock has advised against in intelligent posts of the past, I wont try to justify this pack on expense....there is no justification but luckily in my mind there doesnt have to be..

HikeLite
04-24-2004, 22:06
http://www.trailquest.net/BRpackless.html

snuffleupagus
04-24-2004, 22:15
Well you never know until you try,,,maybe it will end up in the warehouse with 33years of gear, then again maybe it will fall into my hiking scheme offering advantages over what I'm carrying. Something to be said about encapsulation-I have grimaced when on the hunt for something on the bottom of the one giant cavity pack. The weight is finally there ---for an external--- and the comfort is big question.
Like Sgt. Rock has advised against in intelligent posts of the past, I wont try to justify this pack on expense....there is no justification but luckily in my mind there doesnt have to be..Perhaps after 33 years of encapsultion. Further advances in technology may allow the attachment of rocket packs and anti-gravity boots.

MedicineMan
04-24-2004, 22:42
OK, good to be slammed.
HikeLite...thanks for the link to TrailQuest/Brawny....so the system does work...good to know, looks like I'm paying for carbon fiber-done that before :)

attroll
04-24-2004, 23:12
MedicineMan

I was looking at the picture of your pack. What does you back lay up against? Is it the bags?

MedicineMan
04-24-2004, 23:31
all i know is what i see in the pic....
i have been to the site HikeLite sent and read up on Brawny's pack...I am thinking all weight is on the hipbelt and the shoulder straps just keep the pack against your body, thus the padding against your back will be the bags themselves so some attention when packing them so as to not get a pot in the kidney, and if the bags are packed tightly then there will be major spaces where air can circulate through--maybe....
like I said, a curiosity that my be of some advantage, no gaurantee of course..most attractive to me is the bottom tube full of the sleep system, the middle tube full of food,kitchen,mechanics, and top with a bladder.
The front pocket he uses might be alright...currently I attach a Dana Designs pocket onto one of my shoulder straps, it has the filter bottle, camera, snacks in it and his is supposed to transfer the weight to the hips too.
I'm thinking it may work with loads less than 20-22pounds...cant see it on a winter trip (yet), but can see how Brawny packed that huge load of water when she had too.

snuffleupagus
04-24-2004, 23:48
Ummmmm…… oops……. Definitely a good time for sympathetic reprisals….

Very good looking backpack. First looks can often be deceiving…..but after careful consideration. Looks like a very intelligent item to have in respect to comfort, if you are a lightweight purist. It is also true that in 33 years. Future technological advancements may allow the attachment of specialized gear (if the need should arise), such as rocket packs, and anti-gravity boots. As for now “I don’t think that I would purchase one of these packs, due to my limited monetary resources” Perhaps in the near future my opinion on this matter will change.

Simrose
04-29-2004, 14:36
Does anyone have any thoughts on the low rise cot that is pictured on the luxurylite site that MedicineMan got his pack from? (link in post #1)

They say it helps side sleepers and it shows a nice, compact comparison to the traditional sleeping pad ... any thoughts from other side sleepers out there? Do you just learn to not sleep on your side during a thru?

gravityman
04-29-2004, 15:44
I sleep on my side on an ultralight thermarest. I have to blow it up pretty hard, but it is fairly comfortable. I do have to readjust a few times over the course of a night.

Gravity man