PDA

View Full Version : Selling can stoves on the trail?

Crawl
01-15-2009, 17:37
I have become quite the Dr. Pepper can stove maker, and was wondering about make some and selling them on the AT this year, for maybe $7 each.... is this frowned on or not a problem? Have had great reviews from ones using them! :-?

Johnny Thunder
01-15-2009, 17:40
I don't see a problem with it as long as you're not making a nuisance out of yourself (creating trash or bugging folks) and not trying to peddle them on a vendor or store's property.

You'll find that you won't have too large an audience for this stuff...after NC/TN you'll end up hiking with the same large family of hikers for the next few months.

JAK
01-15-2009, 17:46
An interesting thing might be to barter for spare food. Alot of people might have brought along too much food. It might be an interesting way to reduce weight and resupplies because a stove would weigh considerably less than even a pound of food. You might also be able to wait until they bring it up, the subject of too much food that is, not the food itself. That would be gross.

Slo-go'en
01-15-2009, 17:54
Well, I see your not too far from Springer, so you could set up a table at the forest service road and sell them there! (might need a permit though). Of course, you'll need to offer the whole set up - wind screen, pot stand, fuel and offer to send the stove they have back home for them.

Better off setting up a web store and sell them to people before they hit the trail! Maybe you can talk some outfitters into stocking them on consignment.

the_black_spot
01-15-2009, 18:10
some folks have tried this before. good luck!

you might get some crazy looks: "i pour what in there and light it?! "

joshua5878
01-15-2009, 19:04
I have become quite the Dr. Pepper can stove maker, and was wondering about make some and selling them on the AT this year, for maybe $7 each.... is this frowned on or not a problem? Have had great reviews from ones using them! :-?

For 7 bucks I'd buy one from you. I am taking a Brasslite but for as light as these buggers are, wouldn't hurt to have a backup!

Rockhound
01-15-2009, 19:07
I was about to say you wouldn't have very much luck but I see you already 1 taker.

joshua5878
01-15-2009, 19:10
Speaking of Alcohol stoves, I bought a 10" x 10" roll of aluminum flashing from Home Depot today to make a wind screen. Aprox how tall would you recommend the wind screen be and how well vented should the screen be. How far apart should the holes be punched??? Thanks for any and all responses! Joshua

KG4FAM
01-15-2009, 19:27
I doubt many thru hikers would be in the market for a new stove unless theirs breaks or is a piece of crap. If you see someone in that situation go for it. I like the barter idea that was mentioned. You could also just ask them to buy you dinner or something like that. Just don't go round writing in every register that you sell alcohol stoves for 7 bucks and asking everyone that you meet if they need a new stove, that would annoy the crap out of people.

Kanati
01-15-2009, 19:27
My wind screen is two layers of heavy duty alum foil folded so that it is 4.5" X 18". It has no holes in it. When I set it up I leave it open about 3 to 4 inches depending on the wind and turn the open side down wind. When not in use, I roll the wind screen so that it fits down inside my 1 litre Snow Peak titanium pot which also holds my Heinekin can alcohol stove, Bic lighter, pot stand, spoon and 8 ounce bottle of fuel. With a full bottle of fuel the whole package is about 13 ounces or less.

About selling stoves, you may have better luck selling them on e-bay.

Happy hiking. :sun

Skidsteer
01-15-2009, 19:53
Speaking of Alcohol stoves, I bought a 10" x 10" roll of aluminum flashing from Home Depot today to make a wind screen. Aprox how tall would you recommend the wind screen be and how well vented should the screen be. How far apart should the holes be punched??? Thanks for any and all responses! Joshua

Place your pot on top your stove/stand. Measure from ground to half way up the side of your pot. Make it at least that high, notch out for the handles if needed.

Hole size and spacing? Best to experiment, since different systems vary. Start with 1/4" holes spaced 1 1/2" apart. You can punch additional holes between existing as needed.

RockStar
01-15-2009, 19:56
My first stove was a pepsi can stove from Antigravitygear.com. I LOVED that thing. any stove I bought or made couldn't boil any faster. two Speed giftd me a trangia and it's my new love. Mostly becuse it simmers and has a bad*ss pot stand. PM me with the stats and a pic of your little Dr Pepper stoves. My pepsi can got dented up after several moves and backpack shuffles. I could use another.

Serial 07
01-15-2009, 20:04
i like the barter idea...trade one for a beer...can stoves are easy to make...