PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag Packing

Spider
01-15-2009, 20:51
When I stuff my sleeping bag into it's sack it is pretty large and can barely even fit into the sleeping bag compartment in my pack. I have an old coleman model. Is there some secret to packing it smaller, or is it just the sleeping bag itself?

Kanati
01-15-2009, 21:07
To reduce it to it's absolute smallest physical size, you will have to get all of the air out of it. Even then you may not be able to reach the size you want and be forced to purchase a new one. If you know someone who owns a vacuum pack machine and bags you may try that to see if it is possible, or You may try storing it in a compressable, waterproof stuff sack. I use compression staps to reduce the size of my tent.

Happy hiking. :sun

KG4FAM
01-15-2009, 21:20
if you can't fit the sleeping bag into the backpack then you either need a smaller sleeping bag or a bigger pack.

Feral Bill
01-15-2009, 21:40
Extreme stuffing might hurt your filling over time. Better to consider a new down bag.

big_muddy
01-15-2009, 22:46
I think it's time for a new bag, there are many on sale right now as the new models are coming out soon. REI has their bags on closeout, though everyone I talk to says the ratings on their old bags are very optimistic. I've heard good things about the Campmor down bags but have never tried them.

skinewmexico
01-15-2009, 23:21
Bad bag............you'll thank yourself for something newer. And smaller. And lighter.

skinewmexico
01-15-2009, 23:21
Crap! You'll THANK yourself. It would sure be nice to be able to edit.

mudcap
01-15-2009, 23:26
When I stuff my sleeping bag into it's sack it is pretty large and can barely even fit into the sleeping bag compartment in my pack. I have an old coleman model. Is there some secret to packing it smaller, or is it just the sleeping bag itself?
It will only go so small. You will have to live with it or buy a new bag. I used an Coleman for years,budget sensitive. If you can swing it,buy a new lighter bag. You will thank yourself in the long run.

Mongoose2
01-15-2009, 23:28
I think it's time for a new bag, there are many on sale right now as the new models are coming out soon. REI has their bags on closeout, though everyone I talk to says the ratings on their old bags are very optimistic. I've heard good things about the Campmor down bags but have never tried them.

I have the campmor 20 down bag. Very nice, and reasonably priced

Mongoose2
01-15-2009, 23:29

Donate a few dollars

flemdawg1
01-16-2009, 16:42
Colemans don't really do as well compressing, as better backpacking bags. Coleman bags are generally heavy and not very compressible. Great for car camping on a budget though. If you are serious about backpacking, its probably time to upgrade.

bigmac_in
01-16-2009, 16:45

I'll echo Mongoose2 - become a donating member and you can edit. It's not that much.

skinewmexico
01-16-2009, 17:28
I didn't realize that. My bad.