PDA

View Full Version : SoCal - Weekend Trip

RITBlake
01-16-2009, 02:38
So I'm going to be in San Diego for two weeks for work, I've decided to extend my trip a few days and do some hiking from Feb 20-22 flying back to JFK on the 23rd.

Last year I drove myself down to Campo, messed aound at the trailhead, and then did a day hike. But I'd like to do at least one overnight. Don't want to drive too far north, any suggestions for a good in and out trip in the area? Anybody feel like coming with?

Jim Adams
01-16-2009, 03:42
Don't remember the actual mileage so it might be too short or too long but how about Mt. Laguna to Sissors Crossing. Nice variety of flora, trail surface, scenery and climate in a short distance and not far from SD.

geek

Jim Adams
01-16-2009, 03:42
Don't remember the actual mileage so it might be too short or too long but how about Mt. Laguna to Sissors Crossing. Nice variety of flora, trail surface, scenery and climate in a short distance and not far from SD.

geek

A-Train
01-16-2009, 09:23

geek

36 miles. Good section

RITBlake
01-16-2009, 10:23

geek

Cool, that's where I'm headed then!

RITBlake
01-16-2009, 11:49
Couple questions?

Parking?
Ok to leave car for 2-3 days?
Possible to hitch back to the car or in-and-back best?

Halfmile
01-16-2009, 14:29
RITBlake,
You might consider these trip/parking options...

The Warner Springs Resort has always allowed me to park in the employee parking lot. You need to check in at the security booth and sign a liability waver and they will tell you were to park. From Warner Springs you could hike south to Scissor Crossing (35 miles), or the Sunrise Trailhead (51 - miles). I have had OK luck hitching back to my car in this area. (Sunrise Trailhead also has a big parking area also but I have never parked there or seen anyone else parked there)

The only parking I know of on Mt Laguna is the Laguna Campground near mile 47.9. They have a little parking lot by the showers. You need to check in with the campground host. In 2008 they started charging $5 a day (in addition to, or maybe instead of, the Forest Service "Adventure Pass"). In prior years all you needed was the Adventure Pass (http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/cleveland/passes/), I don't know what is needed in 2009. But definitely check in with the CG host. Last year I did not, and they ended up sending the police to my house to check on my well being after seeing my car parked there a few days. Anyway, you could hike north 30 miles to Scissors Crossing. Hitching back should not be too difficult.

Lake Morena Campground (near mile 20.6) has a parking lot near the PCT trailhead that would probably be safe to leave a car. I have parked there many times day hiking, but never overnight. It is right next to the popular campground. You could hike south to the border and probably hitch back, although I have never tried hitching from Campo. If you hike north from Lake Morena to Mt Laguna (23 miles) it would probably be difficult getting back to your car since you would need to navigate Interstate 8, which I would not feel comfortable hitching on.

Definitely check the latest water reports (http://www.4jeffrey.net/pct/) before your hike and be prepared to carry some water.

I have a free PCT Section A map you can download at www.pctmap.net (http://www.pctmap.net/).

I might be able to help you out with a ride or car shuttle after work on 2/19 or 2/20 but I have other plans for that weekend.

-Halfmile

RITBlake
01-16-2009, 15:15
Thanks halfmile, wow, the water report is pretty imtimidating?

Halfmile
01-16-2009, 17:22
Yes, the water report is a long list and unfortunately not many hikers are out this time of year so it is not up to date. By March hikers will be sending in updates so the report will be more useful. If you look at my maps I have almost all of the water locations marked on them. They might help make sense of it all.
Assuming you end up hiking somewhere between the Laguna Mountains (miles 43 – 47.9 and Warner Springs (mile 109.6) you probably will find water at these locations:
mile 52.7 – Pioneer Mail
mile 59 – Sunrise Trailhead
mile 68.4 – Rodriguez Fire Tank
mile 77.2 – Scissors Crossing Caches are probably dry, but you could cache you own water there if needed
mile 91.2 – 3rd Gate Cache, probably has water or the ranch a mile away will
mile 101.4 - Barrel Spring

-Halfmile

RITBlake
01-16-2009, 18:00
but you could cache you own water there if needed

-Halfmile

Ya know what, thats a great idea, maybe I'll spend a few hours friday morning doing just that.

A-Train
01-16-2009, 18:11
If you get a chance, walk south from Laguna Store for a couple miles, really pretty section for a couple miles, up at 6000 feet.

You have a lot of switchbacks coming down to Scissors, or coming up if you start there. I would imagine you could hitch from point A to B on one road (Sunrise Highway, S1) but I'm not sure how much traffic there is on there, especially in Feb.

IMO, there's no need to cache water with the "new" faucet at Sunrise Highway (around mile 59 from MX). It is right in the middle of the section, so you wouldn't need to hump more than 3-4 liters. Also, there is water at Rodgriguez (mile 69?) too. Last year there was a stream or two that isn't listed running pretty well and this is in late April-I'd imagine there will be natural water on trail in Feb.

The terrain is really agreeable in this section, but you'll prob be too early for the awesome wildflowers that adorn this section. Be prepared for full on winter storms though unlikely. I know this area can see snow in thru-hikers season.

I've done this stretch the last 3 years in a row. After the AT, the views will blow your mind!! Just remember, this is just the beginning.....

RITBlake
01-16-2009, 18:28
I've done this stretch the last 3 years in a row. After the AT, the views will blow your mind!! Just remember, this is just the beginning.....

Nice! Can't wait!

RITBlake
02-19-2009, 21:16
RITBlake,
You might consider these trip/parking options...

The Warner Springs Resort has always allowed me to park in the employee parking lot. You need to check in at the security booth and sign a liability waver and they will tell you were to park. From Warner Springs you could hike south to Scissor Crossing (35 miles), or the Sunrise Trailhead (51 - miles). I have had OK luck hitching back to my car in this area. (Sunrise Trailhead also has a big parking area also but I have never parked there or seen anyone else parked there)

Here in SD now just getting my pack together.

The laguna to SC section the water report looks very dry. Would the above section Warner Springs to Sunrise be better? how is the hiking?