PDA

View Full Version : Easy/best coffee

Reid
01-16-2009, 09:22
You should try this stuff. No creams, sugars, or filters needed just hot water. It is much easier than lugging around all that jazz for a regular cup of coffee. I was gonna post this in the previous thread but I wanted to make sure some folks got wind of this if they haven't already. It is extremely expensive but worth its weight in gold to me. I think this pic is of the decaf and low sugar or whatever but I use the caffinated cafe vienna and mix it part to part with white chocolate.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2348qq.jpg

skinewmexico
01-16-2009, 10:47
Looks like coffee, for people who don't like the taste of coffee. I don't think it gets a lot easier than Folger's Singles.

Manwich
01-16-2009, 10:54
Looks like coffee, for people who don't like the taste of coffee. I don't think it gets a lot easier than Folger's Singles.

Now they need to make a packet that takes on a cup shape (ala Mountain House, kinda) when its filled with hot water.

Farr Away
01-16-2009, 11:13
To me, this is closer to hot chocolate than coffee, but then I don't like sugar in my (hot) coffee.

mudhead
01-16-2009, 11:18
To me, this is closer to hot chocolate than coffee, but then I don't like sugar in my (hot) coffee.

Agree.

Swiss Miss added to your coffee is the budget version.

KG4FAM
01-16-2009, 11:36
I like to throw a spoon of this stuff in my hot chocolate to give it a little bit different flavor.

Reid
01-16-2009, 12:06
This is coffee for sure. It's closer to cappucinno but none the less it's coffee. And no I really don't like the taste of straight black coffee.

Reid
01-16-2009, 12:09
I think what I was really getting at too is that this makes the coffee ordeal alot easier, you get a little caffine in the morn in a hot drink that tastes good.

Mzee
01-16-2009, 12:30
We used to enjoy the International Foods Suisse Mocha stuff... until I read the label and saw all the hydrogenated oils in the stuff. I hated to cut it out because it tastes soooo good, but we're not big on ingesting hydrogenated oils.

weary
01-16-2009, 12:37
On the trail, I make do with Folgers Singles with a little powdered milk for a bit of protein and color. I turn off the fan on my Zip Stove and let the singles simmer for a few minutes, while I eat my quick cooking Quaker oatmeal, brown sugar, raisins, and powdered milk. At home I grind whole bean 8 O'clock coffee, let it drip brew, and eat whatever raisin bran is on sale. with 2 percent generic milk.

Weary

Jorel
01-16-2009, 12:56
www.javajuice.com (http://www.javajuice.com) light, and tastes as close to real coffee as anything I have tried.

Dogwood
01-16-2009, 13:13
I also used to indulge in the General Foods International coffee drinks, until I found out they contained hydrogenated oil - man-made designed food additive coming from the food industry's chemical laboratory. Not found in nature. Hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils can have some seriously negative side affects on the human body, including adding to joint deterioration! So serious, that Manhattan has tried to ban them! The dried creamer(individual packets and multi serving containers) added to hot drinks(coffe, etc. ) also often contain hydrogenated oils. IMO, U R better off adding some dried milk(cow, soy, goat, coconut) to your coffee drinks. Do your own research, but I'm sure U will find that ample evidence exists that if U cherish your health this is something to avoid!

hikingshoes
01-16-2009, 13:25
well,i just like a good old hot cup of Fonders little sugar and im go to go.have a cup and sit and watch the sun come up.take care and enjoy.Charles

hikingshoes
01-16-2009, 13:29
looks like i need a cup right now not spelling Folgers right.lol

Tinker
01-16-2009, 14:17
You should try this stuff. No creams, sugars, or filters needed just hot water. It is much easier than lugging around all that jazz for a regular cup of coffee. I was gonna post this in the previous thread but I wanted to make sure some folks got wind of this if they haven't already. It is extremely expensive but worth its weight in gold to me. I think this pic is of the decaf and low sugar or whatever but I use the caffinated cafe vienna and mix it part to part with white chocolate.

Too weak when you make it by their directions. Too sweet if you make it by mine. I have used it on a few overnighters and weekend trips in the summer when real good coffee didn't matter as much.

Reid
01-16-2009, 14:24
Thanks yall, ruined for me. Hydrongenated oils uh.

turtle fast
01-16-2009, 14:28
Make cowboy coffee, throw grounds in boiling water of your pot. Then remove from the flame and let sit for 2 min then add cold drinkablewater, this settles the grounds on the bottom and allows you to pour a few cups.
Also, you can use the coffee from the hotel room coffee makers that make 4 cups, just throw in boiling water and wait a bit....remove and enjoy!

fiddlehead
01-16-2009, 15:06
instant works for me.
Simple and i like it.

Blissful
01-16-2009, 15:41
Black coffee all the way... :)

Jack Tarlin
01-16-2009, 17:50
Jorel beat me to it.

I'm also a big Java Juice fan.

JaxHiker
01-21-2009, 20:42
instant works for me.
Simple and i like it.
Same here. I thought about the singles but I don't want to carry the used bags.

Jack Tarlin
01-21-2009, 20:51
Since we're on the subject, and coffee drinkers will find a way to this thread, where is the best TOWN coffee?

Living in Hanover, I'm biased, I think tops on the Trail is the Dirt Cowboy Cafe on Main St., which individually brews each cup.

Bluff Mountain Outfitters does OK, too, and Mojoe's in Damascus is also a very nice place to have coffee.

Other ideas?

Toolshed
01-21-2009, 21:00

Problem with this stuff is you hafta lug 3 friends around with you to talk about your feelings while you sip away!!!:D

middle to middle
01-21-2009, 22:16
cannot beat real coffee. Other stuff is ok in a pinch but real coffee beans make best coffee. Hot choc mix good for desert. go for Juan Valdez beans !

Hikes in Rain
01-22-2009, 06:40
Absolute best are the beans I roast just before the hike and grind in the morning with my little backpacking coffee grinder. It's a cute little gadget, and it really does work if you're not in a hurry and don't mind carrying a one-use item.

However, if the bottom section falls out at home and you don't notice until that first morning on the trail, you're reduced to pounding beans between two flat rocks in a ziplock. Punches a lot of little holes in the bag, and you end up with a really coarse, um, "grind".

Tin Man
01-22-2009, 06:58
www.javajuice.com (http://www.javajuice.com) light, and tastes as close to real coffee as anything I have tried.

that link didn't work too well for me... i think this is the one you meant...

http://www.javajuiceextract.com/

bikebum1975
01-24-2009, 17:36
The best easy for me is using fresh ground coffee and using the Malita single serve cone filter direct on the cup or they make a bigger on that uses a #4 cone filter takes only a couple minutes to make.