PDA

View Full Version : Boots vs. Trail Shoes

SkinnyT
01-16-2009, 09:35
Have read and heard compelling arguments for and against both in regards to thru hiking. What does everyone think? My longest continuous hike was about 120 miles with boots and I guess I was fine, but it's my understanding that replacing with shoes is supposed to feel like taking 5 pounds off my pack.

wcgornto
01-16-2009, 09:45
I've used both. I perfer trail runners. The general claim is that one pound on your feet is like five pounds on your back. I don't know how correct this is.

The only time I might prefer boots is if I was wearing a fifty pound pack ... which I would never do, or when hiking in a lot of fine, sandy scree.

the_black_spot
01-16-2009, 09:58
i only prefer my boots for heavy loads (above 30 lbs) or winter (which is usually both).

any other time, trial runners, solomon's for me, are much more comfortable and lead to less pain.

jersey joe
01-16-2009, 10:44
A well made boot lasts longer and protects your feet better at the end of the day when you are more prone to stubbing your toe on a rock.

SkinnyT
01-16-2009, 13:15
I understand I am going to get wet...a lot...no matter what I decide on. But it's hard to imagine putting in more miles in a week of steady rain wearing shoes as opposed to boots which will keep your feet a bit more dry.

I read about a lot of folks downing gators on this forum. But would they be more useful in shoes rather than boots? Would it not be close to a wash as far as weight around your ankles?

PS...I am looking at about 35 lbs on my back.

jersey joe
01-16-2009, 13:17
I understand I am going to get wet...a lot...no matter what I decide on. But it's hard to imagine putting in more miles in a week of steady rain wearing shoes as opposed to boots which will keep your feet a bit more dry.

I read about a lot of folks downing gators on this forum. But would they be more useful in shoes rather than boots? Would it not be close to a wash as far as weight around your ankles?

PS...I am looking at about 35 lbs on my back.
shoes tend to dry out quicker then boots, so you won't necessarily keep your feet dryer with boots.

Sir Isaac
01-16-2009, 13:24
I completed my thru-hike in sandals after starting with boots that gave me blisters. Not necessarily recommending, just giving you a third option. I prefer a sturdy pair of Chacos that are practically boot soles with straps...now it doesn't matter how wet your feet get.

If you are starting with 35 lbs, expect that weight to drop by about 10 lbs as you realize what you need and what you don't.

My advice would be to start with boots and as you see the need (if you ever do), down grade to a lighter option.

jersey joe
01-16-2009, 13:40
I completed my thru-hike in sandals after starting with boots that gave me blisters. Not necessarily recommending, just giving you a third option. I prefer a sturdy pair of Chacos that are practically boot soles with straps...now it doesn't matter how wet your feet get.

If you are starting with 35 lbs, expect that weight to drop by about 10 lbs as you realize what you need and what you don't.

My advice would be to start with boots and as you see the need (if you ever do), down grade to a lighter option.

Greetings Sir Isaac!
It's been a while...hope all is well.
You were one of the few people I hiked with in 2002 who wore sandals and they seemed to work very well for you. If I recall correctly, you wore socks with them.

Tinker
01-16-2009, 13:56
The rule of putting more on your feet when you put more on your back is a fairly good one - not "gospel truth", though. I weigh 220 lbs. generally carry a 25 lb. pack for several days (section hiking), and have worn boots, low topped trail hikers (beefier than trail runners), trail runners, and sandals. Other than in snow, you'll find me in trail runners or sandals. Boots handle rocks a bit better as they're stiffer in the sole (generally, but I've found some stiff low tops), and they're fine for cool weather. When the weather gets hot, that's when low tops and runners shine. Ventilation is much better so there's less sweating (moisture) and heat, so fewer blisters, usually.
That, incidentally, is why many low top shoe (including runners) don't like gaiters (they're spelled with an "e", the kind with the jaws is spelled with an "o"). Hot in summer is not good.
When it comes to hiking style "Hike your own hike". Advice is nice, but you decide what's best for you.
When it comes to footwear "Hike what ya like" might be an appropriate saying.
Then there's socks..................:p

Deadeye
01-16-2009, 14:02
i only prefer my boots for heavy loads (above 30 lbs) or winter (which is usually both).

any other time, trial runners, solomon's for me, are much more comfortable and lead to less pain.

Pretty much my sentiments, too. The rest is a series of trade-offs: boots may keep your feet drier for a while, but eventually your feet get wet no matter what you wear, and then whatever kept you dry for the longest time, will take the longest to dry out. Trail runners soak through quickly, but dry very fast.

As for the pound on your foot is worth 5 on your back, that was the conclusion of an Army research project, comparing the energy required to carry loads.

Smile
01-16-2009, 15:13
I used boots exclusively, and really tore my feet up over four years. Finally jumped on the lightweight wagon and got some NB trail runners, I won't go back ( unless winter hiking for a short time) :)

Slo-go'en
01-16-2009, 15:36
I don't think there is any real significant weight differance between a modern, light boot and trail runners, so it's mostly a personal thing. I perfer the extra support a full boot gives.

Short gaters help keep twigs and rocks out of the shoes. Long gaters are better in the rain to keep water from rolling down your leg and into the boot, keep your pants legs free of mud and keep your pants dry when walking through wet brush. I don't bother with rain paints, just a jacket and the long gaters.

I've seen a lot of hikers in sandals, but man, I could never hike in those! My toes would be bleeding raw in a mile.

kytrailman
01-17-2009, 10:11
I carry a lil under 20 lbs and wear Gore-Tex TR with shorty gaiters if it is wet out. Your feet are going to get wet in anything you wear. THis combo is far more comfy to me than boots-- it really is personal choice, unless the extra stability of boots is needed for extra weight. Good luck---

nitewalker
01-17-2009, 11:08
liteweight boots are the way to go. more ankle support and depending on how much weight you will be carying this comes into play. your feet will get beat up if you carry too much weight using trail runners. the boot will give you alot of support, comfort and confidence to keep hiking. trail runners are better suited for people who are carrying minimal loads at all times.. long hike = boots...shorter hike= runners but this is only my opinion and too each their own....

gonewalkabout
01-25-2009, 00:57
trail runners dry quicker than boots and are cooler in warm conditions. I believe the army's calculation is 1 lb saved on feet equalls 6 lbs on your back. That is you burn the enrgy as if you are carring an extra 6 lbs.

Also you don't need camp shoes which can save you a LB on your back. If my TR are wet I slip goretex socks over my dry socks and put the wet TR back on around camp.

blackbird04217
01-25-2009, 05:27
Not to hijack someones thread, but personally I am not one that cares for boots, as it restricts my ankle movement. I do realize that it gives added support and protection, but really annoys me. I've done a few hikes in 'skater' shoes, which are not exactly trail runners. It is my plan as of now to buy a pair of skater shoes for the AT as they are what my feet have been used to for the past 8 years or whatever. I realize the downfall to them is traction on smooth rocks during rain, generally that is the same for any shoe, and another downfall *may* be the wear and tear that the shoes may take; I've seen a pair take a hell of a beating, although I can't claim that I walked 2000 miles on rocky terrain... I don't mind buying an extra pair or so along the way since my feet will be more surrounded by their natural environment; not being constricted by a boot.

Am I being an idiot with the thought of using skater shoes?

Skater Shoe Example (http://www.skatewarehouse.com/descpageMSDCSHOES-DCDYBBB.html)

garlic08
01-25-2009, 10:51
Am I being an idiot with the thought of using skater shoes?

Some advantages trail runners have over those are better ventilation (very important for my feet) and aggressive tread. I really notice as my TRs get worn down that I slip more often on the descents. (Nothing is really great on smooth wet rocks.) But hey, give them a try, they might be the next fad. It doesn't look like a major investment and you can always try something else.

Jorel
01-25-2009, 10:58
I have become a fan of the very light weight New Balance 790's. with low gaiters.

SGT Rock
01-25-2009, 11:05
I have used boots extensively, but whenever I get the chance I hike in trail runners - even in winter.

If you need ankle support, boots are an illusion. The worst sprains I have ever had were in high leather boots - spent a few months on profile and in re-hab after one of 'em. Because of a bad right ankle (10% VA disability when I got out last year) I started with an athletic brace on that ankle with the running shoes and never hurt that already weak ankle at all. If you really need ankle support for an ankle that is prone to roll, I recommend an athletic brace which will give you real support and is designed for someone to still be able to move like they need to. Trust me, I have repeated ankle sprain injuries on both legs over 22+ years in the Army in "real boots" which has weakened my ankles.

I now get the correct brace for my ankles as I go along. If I had the same brace on my left ankle that I had on my right ankle this last year, I would not have gotten off the trail with that injury. I thought that old injury was good (also got it in "real boots") but I ended up rolling it on a road walk of all things.

At this point, boots are only for trail maintenance when I use cutting tools or in very challenging off-trail hiking.

Lone Wolf
01-25-2009, 11:09
boots are so 80s y'all

Lone Wolf
01-25-2009, 11:09
gaiters too

SGT Rock
01-25-2009, 11:11
I've got some gaiters somewhere...

ApeApeMan
02-03-2009, 13:33
What is a good weight for trailrunners? Or boots for that matter? I guess it would vary with shoe size.

I just ordered some Chaco Canyonland Low eVent shoes. Hopefully they work out well, I'm hesitant about ordering shoes online.

Tinker
02-03-2009, 14:00
If you've used Chaco shoes before, in the same size, on a long hike you shouldn't be concerned. If Chacos are new to you, wear them to an indoor mall for a few hours, walking up and down the stairs, that should tell you whether you should return them or not.

booger
02-06-2009, 00:21
I just bought a pair of Danner EXO Edge GTX trail shoes for $60 at Bass Pro. I've only put a couple of miles on them, but they seem very comfy so far