PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Hike With A Bear Bell?

Big Suave
01-16-2009, 10:17
I'm planning a thru starting in March and was just wondering if anyone actually uses these? It's seems like listening to a bell mile after mile would become MADDENING!! I've hiked the Smokies regularly for over a year now and have had several bear encounters, but it was only my first one that I almost ended up a few feet from the bear without seeing him. He was in thick brush right at the side of the trail. Luckily, he stepped on a branch and snapped it when I was about 30-40 feet away so I heard him first and he wasn't to concerned with me at all, just foraging. One thing I have learned for sure about the tail, if you hear a branch snap, it's probably a bear!!

snowhoe
01-16-2009, 10:19
No but I do have a whistle that is around my neck or attached to the outside of my pack.

DavidNH
01-16-2009, 10:22
I sure as heck hope not! I think these things bother hikers a lot more than bears!

David

audiophile
01-16-2009, 10:29
I got one a few weeks ago for my pack but haven't used it. Not bear season yet. :)

Kanati
01-16-2009, 11:00
You get better views of the wildlife if you are quiet. Bears are part of the experience and it's kinda neat to see them. But if you are worried, a bell will certainly drive them away.

Last year in NJ, I heard the most gosh awful noise on the trail about 300 yards in front of me. It got louder as I got closer. It sounded like metal clanking, chains inside of buckets and some other sounds that I'm not sure I can describe. It turned out to be a guy on a day hike rigged up to alert bears of his approach. His primary sound producer was a stainless steel cup with something attached so that the swinging motion was in rythem with his steps. It actually produced an interesting sound, that is, if you didn't have to listen to it too long.

By the way, I saw more bears in NJ than anywhere else. They seemed semi-tame. That may be because the locals feed them.

Happy hiking. :sun

Kanati
01-16-2009, 11:08
With reference to Audiophile's comment about "not bear season" yet, the bears in the southern Appalachians don't fully hybernate. The are active all winter unless it is extremely cold, like now. We saw lots of bear tracks in the snow around Cold Spring Shelter on March 9th and the temperature was in the teen's.

Mocs123
01-16-2009, 11:10
If you start a thru with a bear bell, your fellow hikers might beat you up and take it from you.

In all seriousness, Black Bears will run when they see you. I have never had a bear pay me any attention unless he was high tailing it out of the area.

superman
01-16-2009, 11:12
I sure as heck hope not! I think these things bother hikers a lot more than bears!

David

I found a bear bell hooked on a post as Winter and I began crossing a field. So I hung it on Winter. By the time I got to the other side of the field I hooked it on another post. Annoying.

senache
01-16-2009, 11:13
Only out west in griz country. Then I call it my dinner bell.

audiophile
01-16-2009, 11:19
With reference to Audiophile's comment about "not bear season" yet, the bears in the southern Appalachians don't fully hybernate. The are active all winter unless it is extremely cold, like now. We saw lots of bear tracks in the snow around Cold Spring Shelter on March 9th and the temperature was in the teen's.

Interesting. That's good to know. I guess the Jersey bears are just bums. :p

Slo-go'en
01-16-2009, 11:34
I used one for about an hour out in Yellowstone and said the heck with this! Was driving me nuts.

One day I was sitting next to a tree near a stream and a prong horn deer wandered up about 5 feet from me, grazing. Suddenly, it lifited his head, looked around and ran off. A few minutes later I started hearing bells clanking. 5 mintes later, I see some guy coming my way making a heck of a racket. When he got close, I said HI! and scared him, as he hadn't seen me sitting there. I asked him if he had seen any wild life? He said no, not a thing. I wonder why.

weary
01-16-2009, 11:43
I'm planning a thru starting in March and was just wondering if anyone actually uses these? It's seems like listening to a bell mile after mile would become MADDENING!! I've hiked the Smokies regularly for over a year now and have had several bear encounters, but it was only my first one that I almost ended up a few feet from the bear without seeing him. He was in thick brush right at the side of the trail. Luckily, he stepped on a branch and snapped it when I was about 30-40 feet away so I heard him first and he wasn't to concerned with me at all, just foraging. One thing I have learned for sure about the tail, if you hear a branch snap, it's probably a bear!!
Not me. I like to see bears -- not scare them away.

Weary

Wags
01-16-2009, 12:04
i was always under the impression that only polar bears truly hibernate. i don't carry one but i do yell or clap my hands every once in awhile

bigmac_in
01-16-2009, 13:01
Here is your answer -

(Had to put it in a link, due to wording)

http://www.outdooroddities.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/grizzly_bear_warning_sign.jpg

weary
01-16-2009, 13:06
i was always under the impression that only polar bears truly hibernate. i don't carry one but i do yell or clap my hands every once in awhile
It may not be true hibernation, but I've been with biologists in the early spring when they crawl into black bear dens where a mother bear is sleeping, and remove her babies for inspection.

Once inside they jab the mother with a needle, but the bear certainly appears to be sleeping pretty solidly and very reluctant to wake up.

Weary

SawnieRobertson
01-16-2009, 13:46
No but I do have a whistle that is around my neck or attached to the outside of my pack.

As I was walking out the door to come to the trail in 2003, I casually picked up the little bell that I had set aside from GRIZs new pack when it arrived. I had never intended to use it, but at that very last moment I knew that I did want her to wear it at least for a while.

I lived among wildlife, deer, elk, black bears, coyotes, rabbits, big horn sheep, and, undortunately, mountain lions. I was aware of the stress they suffered when they found themselves in proximity of us, we humans. At that moment I decided that I would prefer that they have plenty advance warning of my coming along the trail with my brown Standard Poodle.

So GRIZ had it on her pack the whole time we were out there from April 22 to August something. It made a tiny tinkling sound. She didn't have explosive moments of wanting to chase a just-noticed animal. The wildlife didn't have moments that sent their adrenals into overdrive. When they heard us coming, they must have gently moved on. Calmly.

I also carry a whistle, but that's not because of wildlife.--Kinnickinic

Tinker
01-16-2009, 14:00
The difference between black bear scat and grizzly scat is that you'll find those bear bells in the griz poop.:D

turtle fast
01-16-2009, 14:13
In reality the bells will annoy you at first, then you get used to it. However, they are not necessary on the AT... You will tend to scare away wildlife you are there to see like deer and such. Black bears normally will be afraid of humans anyways and you WILL annoy other hikers with the noise. So in short, loose the bell and carry a whistle or bang your metal hiking poles togeather.

Serial 07
01-16-2009, 14:14
if you're worried bring a whistle...one reason for hiking is animal encounters, no?

Tinker
01-16-2009, 14:33
If you use trekking poles and suspect a bear is in your area you can whack them together a few times. Bears aren't deaf, they aren't dumb, and they probably don't appreciate the tinkle of overpriced reindeer bells any more than they fear the sharp crack of aluminum on aluminum.

(I've often thought that the noise of cooking pots in camp is akin to a dinner bell to the local nuisance bear). I've never seen one (probably heard a few crashing through the brush running away) in 30 years of hiking. I am still looking forward to it.

sly dog
01-16-2009, 14:37
If I am approaching a blind turn or some thick bushes I will tap my poles together so I dont startle anything that is out of sight.

JERMM
01-16-2009, 16:12
I keep a bell on my dog so I can keep up with her if she's off leash. But, I don't wear one when I'm hiking.

bigmac_in
01-16-2009, 16:21
The difference between black bear scat and grizzly scat is that you'll find those bear bells in the griz poop.:D

Ummm, yeah - like the sign on the link in my post.

Jack Tarlin
01-16-2009, 17:19
Bear bells on the A.T. are pretty much useless, and will only guarantee three things:

*They will quickly driveyou bonkers.
*They will drive anyone who comes near you bonkers.
*They will scare away all sorts of other wildlife and not necessarily work on
bears.

One of the reasons most folks spend time on the Trail is to see and observe the native wildlife, and not disrupt or frighten it away.

This hold true for bears.

Lose the bells.

Wise Old Owl
01-16-2009, 17:33
I used one for about an hour out in Yellowstone and said the heck with this! Was driving me nuts.

One day I was sitting next to a tree near a stream and a prong horn deer wandered up about 5 feet from me, grazing. Suddenly, it lifted his head, looked around and ran off. A few minutes later I started hearing bells clanking. 5 minters later, I see some guy coming my way making a heck of a racket. When he got close, I said HI! and scared him, as he hadn't seen me sitting there. I asked him if he had seen any wild life? He said no, not a thing. I wonder why.

Incredibly appropriate! I use a bear bell with a magnet to drive other hikers nuts.

Hikes in Rain
01-16-2009, 19:51
Never needed bells. I figure the bears can hear the gasps, wheezing, coughing, trips, stumbles and other racket I make as I hike way before I get there.

Blissful
01-16-2009, 20:15
No need for a bell on the AT. Poles work fine if need be.

I saw only one bear on my hike in '07 - in PA, and he was foraging. I'd heard all these horror stories of bears in jersey. Didn't see one!

SunnyWalker
01-17-2009, 02:11
There have been times when I wondered if a bear was around the corner or something like that. So i whistled a tune or sung a song out loud. What do you guys think of the effectiveness of that?

kytrailman
01-17-2009, 09:22
I would say if you are that worried about bears or wildlife, it might not be the undertaking for you. Don't want to spend the whole time worrying about what is past the next hill or turn in the trail. HOnestly, -- I have seen plenty, and am still here to tell about it. It is definitely part of the experience.

OldStormcrow
01-17-2009, 16:54
The only thing those bear bells are good for is your dog....the noise gives the skunks a running start before your dog decides to mess with them.

theinfamousj
01-17-2009, 17:23
I've never met a bear nor seen one from a distance. (Deer on the other hand seem impervious to even car horns.)

My friend from Canada used to regularly encounter bears. He said that if you avoid looking them in the eye and yell, "Go away bear!" they will leave the trail so you can pass.

River Runner
01-18-2009, 03:30
Had a friend who hiked with one on one trip. It drove us all bonkers. It finally drove her bonkers too and she put it away never to use again.

Big Suave
01-18-2009, 20:56
I would say if you are that worried about bears or wildlife, it might not be the undertaking for you. Don't want to spend the whole time worrying about what is past the next hill or turn in the trail. HOnestly, -- I have seen plenty, and am still here to tell about it. It is definitely part of the experience.

I was just asking a question. You may have had encounters, but let me know when you've had a mama bear charge you when you're between her and her cubs!!!!

Egads
01-18-2009, 23:24

Wanna sound like a Marmot? Blow the whistle and see if a hungry bear thinks a marmot is it's next meal. Applicable out west.