PDA

View Full Version : Side Track Cafe

Sarge
04-24-2004, 08:24
I saw on Trail Journals that the Side Track Cafe in Damascus was for sale. I was a little intrigued by this so I sent Mountain Man an e-mail to see if he had sold it yet, but I never heard back from him. Does anyone know if he has sold it yet? It would have been a long stretch for me to relocate there, but I must say I pondered the idea.

Lone Wolf
04-24-2004, 08:30
He doesn't own the building he just leases. The owner died recently and his wife is trying to sell it. Presently it is open.

Jaybird
04-24-2004, 08:32
I saw on Trail Journals that the Side Track Cafe in Damascus was for sale. I was a little intrigued by this so I sent Mountain Man an e-mail to see if he had sold it yet, but I never heard back from him. Does anyone know if he has sold it yet? It would have been a long stretch for me to relocate there, but I must say I pondered the idea.

Sarge:

havent heard either...but, with the Cafe still listed...i'd think it's still up for sale.....Lone Wolf would know....he lives there in Damascus! :D

Sarge
04-24-2004, 08:46
Thanks for the info. My wife has always wanted to own a run a business like that and I would love to be closer to the trail and especially in a place such as Damascus. However, with a good job here in south Georgia, kids in school, etc., right now wouldn't be a good time to pack up and move. If an opportunity like that came up in about 10 years when it would just be mea and the wife, I would probably jump on it.

Lone Wolf
09-06-2004, 19:57
The Sidetrack is for sale. Asking price is $65,000. Could probably get it for less. Call Callebs Realty @ 276-628-2583 for more info.

Lone Wolf
01-07-2005, 15:56
Looks like it sold. Apperently a former thru-hiker bought it and is gonna make a burrito/taco kinda place out of it. This is just what I heard thru town gossip. I'll post again when I know facts or maybe the new owner will post. Big-ass burritos would be damn good! :banana

Sleepy the Arab
01-07-2005, 18:03
Here's to hoping they keep the liquor license!

Footslogger
01-07-2005, 18:37
Looks like it sold. Apperently a former thru-hiker bought it and is gonna make a burrito/taco kinda place out of it. This is just what I heard thru town gossip. I'll post again when I know facts or maybe the new owner will post. Big-ass burritos would be damn good! :banana=============================
I spoke with the hiker a day or so ago who was planning to open the burrito/beer business (Trace - AT 2003) in the SideTrack spot. According to him, someone else bought the property so his plans have changed. Don't know any more about it at this point.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Lone Wolf
01-12-2005, 21:05
I spoke with the new owners of the old Side Track. They're naming it The Baja' Cafe. He's a hiker from 2001 named The Sheriff. I forgot his wife's name. I suck. Gonna serve some good stuff. I'll get the menu in a few days and post it. They will be serving beer and wine. They're shootin for a March 1st opening.

Footslogger
01-12-2005, 22:06
I spoke with the new owners of the old Side Track. They're naming it The Baja' Cafe. He's a hiker from 2001 named The Sheriff. I forgot his wife's name. I suck. Gonna serve some good stuff. I'll get the menu in a few days and post it. They will be serving beer and wine. They're shootin for a March 1st opening.===========================
That's WAY cool ...Sheriff is a straight up guy and hiked with a group called "The 4 Horsemen" (Gunslinger, Strider, Maximus and ???). Met up with them in Monson and again in the 100 Mile Wilderness in 2001. Bet that place is gonna be a huge success.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Tha Wookie
01-13-2005, 00:20
I spoke with the new owners of the old Side Track. They're naming it The Baja' Cafe. He's a hiker from 2001 named The Sheriff. I forgot his wife's name. I suck. Gonna serve some good stuff. I'll get the menu in a few days and post it. They will be serving beer and wine. They're shootin for a March 1st opening.
So there ARE going to be big-ass burritos?

Skyline
01-13-2005, 00:29
===========================
That's WAY cool ...Sheriff is a straight up guy and hiked with a group called "The 4 Horsemen" (Gunslinger, Strider, Maximus and ???). Met up with them in Monson and again in the 100 Mile Wilderness in 2001. Bet that place is gonna be a huge success.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Is the fourth Horseman named "Movement"? The kid whose hike was interrupted when he got hit by a car in Erwin?

Jaybird
01-13-2005, 06:13

THANKS for the "SIDETRACK" UPDATE", Wolf!
Glad to see a part of Damascus will be coming back to LIFE just in time for
us hikers to grub! :D

Footslogger
01-13-2005, 09:15
Is the fourth Horseman named "Movement"? The kid whose hike was interrupted when he got hit by a car in Erwin?============================
That's it Skyline ....his name was "Movement". He wasn't with the gang when I met them and the name didn't stick like the rest of them.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Skyline
01-13-2005, 12:23
============================
That's it Skyline ....his name was "Movement". He wasn't with the gang when I met them and the name didn't stick like the rest of them.

'Slogger
AT 2003

I was hiking north of them that year, never met them, but heard about them (the A.T. grapevine is never down for repair).

As I recall, Movement had stayed back a few days in Erwin while the other three went on to Damascus, and that's when he was hit by a car in Erwin which broke his leg. His hike was over until he recuperated. Understand he got to rejoin them in New England (I'm thinking Vermont or southern NH, since I was in the Whites when I heard the whole story including that he had rejoined), but later heard he had to leave again (leg not healed? I dunno...).

If the person who told me about them is correct, these four guys were very young but had some previous backpacking experience. What a bummer to have a CAR end or at least seriously interfere with your hike.

Footslogger
01-13-2005, 12:32
I was hiking north of them that year, never met them, but heard about them (the A.T. grapevine is never down for repair).

As I recall, Movement had stayed back a few days in Erwin while the other three went on to Damascus, and that's when he was hit by a car in Erwin which broke his leg. His hike was over until he recuperated. Understand he got to rejoin them in New England (I'm thinking Vermont or southern NH, since I was in the Whites when I heard the whole story including that he had rejoined), but later heard he had to leave again (leg not healed? I dunno...).

If the person who told me about them is correct, these four guys were very young but had some previous backpacking experience. What a bummer to have a CAR end or at least seriously interfere with your hike.============================
You've got the story straight. Their hike is documented on the DVD "TREK", which has been mentioned here on WhiteBlaze. We got an early copy on videocassette, before they produced the DVD but either way ...it's quite a film. The hiker "Sherrif appears in the film.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Skyline
01-13-2005, 14:01
Would you believe I bought a copy of "Trek"--as a present for someone. I had, um, intended to make a copy for myself before sending it to them, but my copying setup was malfunctioning so I never got around to it and never even got to watch it! Very bad karma, that piracy thang, huh?

I had no idea who was even on the video. Now I REALLY want to see it, so I may just have to pay for a copy. Yeah, maybe this should have been posted under that Confessions thread :-)

Lone Wolf
01-19-2005, 09:03
I saw Sheriff and his wife Becky last night. They lent me a copy of TREK and gave me a couple of menus for the new cafe. They'll be serving a big variety of Burritos, Tacos, Quesadillas, salads in tortilla shells, Nachos, and Tortas(Mexican sandwiches). I have a feeling this joint will be a hit.

Jaybird
01-19-2005, 09:17
is the "good Sheriff" taking RESERVATIONS, yet?
hehehehehehehehe :D

Lone Wolf
03-10-2005, 22:49
The Baja Cafe, formerly The Sidetrack, opened today. Was there earlier this evening but didn't eat. Will get a burrito tomorrow. Y'all stop in now, hear?

smokymtnsteve
03-10-2005, 22:54
I delete...I'm not going to say it...I'm going to respect LW :datz

Lone Wolf
03-10-2005, 22:57
Speak up. Go ahead and dis me. :p

jlb2012
04-07-2005, 14:36
The Baja Cafe, formerly The Sidetrack, opened today. Was there earlier this evening but didn't eat. Will get a burrito tomorrow. Y'all stop in now, hear?

so how was the burrito?

Lone Wolf
04-07-2005, 14:41
Pretty damn good actually. Beer will be availabe real soon too.

Footslogger
04-13-2005, 15:33
Hey Lone Wolf ...do you know if Sherrif (Jared) is keeping the internet service going at the Baja Cafe ?? Next time you're in there see if you can get his e-mail address and PM it to me. Thank man ...

'Slogger

Footslogger
04-13-2005, 16:09
Hey Lone Wolf ...do you know if Sherrif (Jared) is keeping the internet service going at the Baja Cafe ?? Next time you're in there see if you can get his e-mail address and PM it to me. Thank man ...

'Slogger======================================
No need for the e-mail address ...I spoke with Sherrif on the phone today.

'Slogger

Jaybird
04-13-2005, 18:00
Hey WOLF...

can you post the BAJA CAFE hours for all us hikers....
thanks! :D

see you in MAY!

APr 28-May 5 (w/"the Model T crew") Hot Springs-Erwin
May 6 & 7 Carvers Gap back to Erwin
May 8-20 Damascus to Pearisburg

Lone Wolf
04-13-2005, 20:48
Closed Tuesdays. Open all other days at 11:00AM.
NO internet service. The library is the only place in town with public access puters.

ShakeyLeggs
05-16-2005, 00:51
Wolf could you get someone to upfate the Damascus web site.
The date the resturant page wad updated was 1/3/02. Also the business page was last updated 14 April 04. This might cut down on some of the confusion with the Side Track Cafe.

Lone Wolf
05-16-2005, 08:12
Ill ask. The Baja Cafe DOES have a computer now.

Tha Wookie
05-16-2005, 17:03
I am a real burrito-lutionary, and i must say the veggie is one awsome burrito at Baja Cafe. Too bad I have to drive 6 hours to get one now that I'm home.

T Rex
07-06-2005, 13:29
Where is it in damascus?

jlb2012
07-06-2005, 14:28
its where the Side Track Cafe used to be - see map : http://www.traildays.nstemp.com/damascus_map_2004.jpg