PDA

View Full Version : Greetings

rockvalve
01-16-2009, 11:05
Hello WhiteBlaze.net

I'm new to the site (and hiking) I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Ben and I hail from Boston, Mass. I’ve never really hiked before a lot of the people I climb with (mostly indoor top roping) are hikers and I want to try it out myself.

I’m just hoping to pick up some good knowledge on the website and maybe make some solid connections. I’m not sure I can start hiking in the winter, some of the online groups I’ve joined organize hikes but they don’t seem to recommend them for beginners. Though if there is an easy way to get started I am definitely going to find out how.

Anways, hello and thank you all in advance. :banana

Ben

Kanati
01-16-2009, 14:46
Hi Ben,

Welcome to hiking and WB. You'll pick up lots of information on this site. One thing to keep in mind is that hiking equipment is all about opinions. What suits one hiker will seem like folly to another. My advice is to shop carefull before dropping a lot of money on something you won't like. ie, I purchased a Kataydn water filter for my hike last year. It is still in the box and I can't send it back because they won't take it. $60 wasted. I opted to use aqua-mira drops for the weight factor. In the future I am going to use bleach, but I'm not really sure how much of that to use. Some say 2 drops per liter. That doesn't sound like enough, but maybe it is.

Anyway, last week I was in the Boston area working and visited with Brian and Hot Cheese in Allston, MA. They are 2 great people as well as hikers. They thru-hiked the A.T. in 08

Good luck and happy hiking. :sun

Serial 07
01-16-2009, 15:07
don't feel like you gotta have all the dank gear...work with what you have and what your budget can afford...the most important thing about hiking is actually hiking...spend most of your efforts on that...

i don't know nothin' about hiking in MA other than what the AT covers...but you have some great spots...

Smile
01-16-2009, 15:12
Have fun here, lots of great articles. Happy hiking! :)

Blissful
01-16-2009, 15:35
Hey, welcome. This is the place to be. Lots of neat people and advice.

FritztheCat
01-16-2009, 18:39
Welcome to Whiteblaze :welcome

You'll find a ton of information here!

4eyedbuzzard
01-16-2009, 18:59
:welcome Jump right in and have fun. Ditto on all the prior comments. Lots of different hiking styles and equipment preferences. There's is no "one size fits all".

buckwheat
01-16-2009, 19:14
Hey Ben,

I'm fairly new to hiking as well. I hike here mostly because it's near my house.

Harold Parker State Forest
http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/northeast/harp.htm

This is a great area to hike ... lots of ponds, well-maintained trails of different types (some fire road, some bike trail). It's fairly easy ground to cover and is pretty to look at.

I've done some winter hiking in this area as well, and even a beginner could do it with the right equipment.

Let me know if you'd like to hook up and maybe take a spin. I'd be glad to show you around the place. I live in Billerica.

Cheers,
Buckwheat

nitewalker
01-16-2009, 19:26
ben
welcome aboard and cherish all the great info you may or may not agree with. what works for one may not work for others but all advice is worth listening to..

peace out, nitewalker GO RED SOX

TrippinBTM
01-16-2009, 20:46
Find out how? Man, you're in luck: all you gotta do is walk! ;)

But seriously, there's nothing to it. But for the details, you've come to the right place. Welcome!

johnnybgood
01-16-2009, 22:15
:welcomeCheck out all the forums here on WB. Read as much as possible here ,then develop your own system of what works best for you.

Spogatz
01-17-2009, 01:20
Oooohhhhhh.....

You have the sickness now....

One day you find yourself standing in a REI store and the next day your walking 2000 miles....

And the strange thing is it seems to make sense to you!!!

theinfamousj
01-17-2009, 21:56
One day you find yourself standing in a REI store and the next day your walking 2000 miles....

Ain't that the truth. :D

Tinker
01-17-2009, 22:02
Welcome, rockvalve.
I imagine you've heard of these folks: http://www.amcboston.org/
It would be a good place to meet fellow hikers from your area. I'll try to remember to give you a shout if I do any hiking up north soon. I have a couple of friends my age in my area who hike together with me quite a bit.
I'll be teaching a beginner cross country ski instructional weekend at Boston U's Sargent Center next weekend. I think we still have room in the bunkhouse. http://www.amcnarragansett.org/gazette/gazette_dec-jan-09.html
Send me a PM if you're interested.

rockvalve
01-23-2009, 13:14
Thanks everyone for the very warm welcome! Yea, I'm definitely just looking to get out there!

I'll sure to be in contact with all you fellow MA people :banana

And the strange thing is it seems to make sense to you!!!

Definitely the case! Making that my signature haha!

Highpointbound
01-24-2009, 19:03
Hello Rock. Fellow Springfield, MA hiker here. :)

Dee