PDA

View Full Version : AT Guide book of choice?

slugger
01-16-2009, 11:40
I have been looking at the different guide books and was wondering what one you used and what you didn't like about it.

KG4FAM
01-16-2009, 11:51
Companion - when it is wrong (all three are equally erroneous) I know that it is done by volunteers and I don't get pissed off because the money goes to ALDHA and the ATC. When the others are wrong I get pissed off because I paid for something that is a commercial publication.

Its like if my buddy is going to show me a cool trail or something and we get lost its cool even if I am pitching in for gas money. If I hire a professional guide service to take me somewhere and they get lost I am going to be pissed.

Jack Tarlin
01-16-2009, 17:41
The three major guides are quite similar and at the end of the day, it probably doesn't matter which one you decide to use.

Over the years, most folks have found the Handbook easiest on the eye, and with the best town maps (which is important); because it has so many field editors, all of whom have either hiked recently or actually live in the ares they're writing about, the Companion is generally assumed to have the most
up-to-date and accurate information, and the fewest errors.

But it doesn't really matter.

jafrost
01-17-2009, 00:17
I found the Handbook had a better list of water sources and better town maps, while the Companion sometimes listed more town resources. The deciding factor, though, on which one to take was that the Handbook weighed a few ounces less than the Companion. I carried it whole instead of ripping it into sections.

hikingshoes
01-17-2009, 01:51
hi,i just order the Appalachian Pages 2009 northbound book today and it has a map of the town where u can get supply,place to sleep,water,shower,and the GPS # to find where it is.i have the AT DATA book but it dont have half the INFO a this book has.

summitnh
04-04-2009, 18:56
Appalachian pages. Love the profile right on the data page

JoshStover
08-22-2009, 21:48
I use the Companion and like it so far. I have only done a few sections but will be starting my thru in February. Anyone know if the 2010 companion will be out before the end of February???

Not Sunshine
08-22-2009, 22:39
what about this one? It looks like it's the lightest...but amazon doesn't have any sample pages (blah!).

http://www.amazon.com/Appalachian-Trail-Data-Book-2009/dp/1889386596/ref=pd_sim_b_2

Not Sunshine
08-22-2009, 22:41
I use the Companion and like it so far. I have only done a few sections but will be starting my thru in February. Anyone know if the 2010 companion will be out before the end of February???

From the Amazon link, the 2009 was published on 1-16-09 (16th edition), so you should be able to get one hot off the press by early February. :)

JoshStover
08-23-2009, 06:55
Thanks so much. I am getting sooo pumped for February to roll around. I just cant wait to start. Im trying to hike atleast 30 miles every week on some VERY steep trails. Thats the good thing about WV, plenty of hills. Just wish I had time to get more miles inevery week but that is hard to do when you work 60+ hours a week...

Jeff
08-23-2009, 08:13
Wow, 30 miles every week hiking in WV !!! You will be in great shape compared to your other AT buddies at Springer.

Rain Man
08-23-2009, 09:48
I voted "Other," because you don't allow me to choose but a single selection. IMHO, lots of people hike with multiple books, or at least pages torn/cut from multiple books. I usually do. I'm not out there merely to get from Point A to Point B. I like to learn things about the trail and area. I like the experience.

If I had to take just one, it'd be Appalachian Pages. I also like the profile map printed as a watermark on each page.

Rain:sunMan

Jeff
08-23-2009, 10:01
Agreed, many folks have access to multiple books. I am always finding different town lodging options as I compare one book to the other.

AP really had a nice innovation in '08 with the profiles, but The Handbook has (IMO) done it a little better in 2009.

Nice to have threee choices. It leads to improvement as one book tries to better the others.

JoshStover
08-23-2009, 20:19
Wow, 30 miles every week hiking in WV !!! You will be in great shape compared to your other AT buddies at Springer.

Im really trying. Im very lucky to have a great 32 mile trail VERY close to home. It also has two shelters that are very similiar to the ones on the AT so that kinda helps me get used to the "Shelter Life''. For as short as the trail is it has lots of terrain. It has VERY steep hills, rocky section, steam crossings, etc. It has a little bit of everything except it doesnt go above the treeline. Guess I cant have everything close to home.:). I really do love West Virginia and I think it is a great place to get ready for the trail, even if the trail just barely goes through my home state...

bigcranky
08-23-2009, 21:07
I have multiple copies of all three (well, only one of A.P., since it only came out last year.) They are all quite good, albeit slightly different, and I could complete a section or thru-hike with any of them.

RWK
11-25-2009, 12:55
Just got a postcard in the mail that the Appalachian Pages will no longer be published but same features and more will be in a new book,The A.T. Guide.

Compass
11-25-2009, 15:58
App. pages/AWOLs book if I could only take one but I take the pages of Wingfoots old Handbook for when I have a unanswered question or need more information.

I have ordered AWOLs new A.T. Guide.

Jim Adams
11-25-2009, 22:34
Data Book

geek