PDA

View Full Version : The Mountain Crossings Method

joshua5878
01-16-2009, 12:25
Backpacker Magazine Nov 2008

BPM dedicated a huge section to Mountains Crossings in this issue. It contained a lot of useful information!

The question I have refers to clothing. I am trying to decide what to pack for our 09 NOBO thru hike leaving last week of Feb 09.

Assuming temps are "normal" for that time of year this is what they (Mountains Crossing) recommend:

"Clothing System" 6.5 pounds

>>Lightweight long underwear (top and bottom)
>>Midweight long underwear (top and bottom)
>>Short sleave, synthetic shirt
>>Baggy Nylon Shorts
>>Rain Jacket
>>Rain Pants
>>Synthetic- or down fill jacket
>>Socks 2-3 pairs

End of quote..

Do you folks think this is adequate for average cold temps?

Thanks in advance! Joshua

PS the list goes on and includes Cooking System, Water System, Sleep System, First Aid and Personal, Footwear

Johnny Thunder
01-16-2009, 12:41
Do you folks think this is adequate for average cold temps?

Thanks in advance! Joshua

Yes

slowandlow
01-16-2009, 12:41
Don't forget gloves and a warm hat.

CrumbSnatcher
01-16-2009, 12:44
Don't forget gloves and a warm hat.
i carry my stocking cap nearly year round. easiest way to keep warm or get warmed up fast!:D

Rcarver
01-16-2009, 13:18
i carry my stocking cap nearly year round. easiest way to keep warm or get warmed up fast!:D

Yeah. I learned my leson several years back in June. I decided to take a trip to Mount Rogers for the weekend. When I left the parking lot is was 70 degrees and blue sky. When the sun went down it became 30 degrees and windy. I carry a light weight hat and liner gloves year round now.

Serial 07
01-16-2009, 14:38
two pairs of long underwear bottoms? i would trade rain pants for convertibles...

generoll
01-16-2009, 15:24
one thing I've found very useful is a balaclava. I use it to sleep in as I sleep cold and it has made a huge difference. Winton's a very knowledgeable man and I'd say his list is pretty complete.

Blissful
01-16-2009, 15:39
Just hat and gloves. 3 pairs of socks (two are not enough, IMO)
I also use convertible pants. I guess they assume you will hike in rain pants (which stinks) or long underwear if it's cold - ?. So I'd replace the lightweight long underwear bottoms and baggy shorts with convertible pants.

JERMM
01-16-2009, 15:58
Winton's list is about what I carry and wear. IMO rain pants are good to have in the winter, to wear around camp on cold nights, they stop the wind, great or wearing while doing the laundry. I've hiked wearing them with long underwear pants when it's cold.

Warm weather months, I don't carry them.

I carry two pair mid weight long underwear pants, if needed one for hiking in under shorts and one to sleep in.

Like a few others have mentioned, gloves and I prefer a fleece cap.

peakbagger
01-16-2009, 16:57
A lightweight balaclava is superior to a fleece hat and works pretty well under a baseball hat. It takes up a lot less volume and weighs a bit less. I usually have a pair of poly pro liner gloves and a light weight set of poly mittens that have a slot in the palms so I can reach out with my gloves if needed.

One caveat is that I tend to light a stove with my gloves on and inevitably I will manage to melt off a fingertip at some point in the trip. Might be worth bouncing a spare.

If its a windy day on a ridge with no leaf cover, having light weight gear to cover all bare skin is probably more important than insulation, as the typical hiker is putting out plenty of heat and all they need is something to cut down on surface convection. During winter hikes in the whites in far colder conditions, a lot of folks hike in wind shells with just one pair of poly pro underwear underneath. This works well as long as you are moving but within a few minutes of stopping, it time for another layer or time to crank up the stove.

flemdawg1
01-16-2009, 17:03
Full list is now online: http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4

That should much clothing should definately be adquate, you have 3 layers on bottom and 5 on top. Plus a sleeping bag if its too cold to walk in that.

Jack Tarlin
01-16-2009, 17:10
I think their list is just fine; they've been looking after thru-hikers for a very long time and have a very good idea what they're talking about.

The key thing, especially with a February start, is ALWAYS keep some warm clothes for the end of the day, i.e. never let everything you have get wet or sweated out. This is why doubling up on long underwaer makes sense, as you'll likely be sleeping in a pair, and starting your day in them, meaning you might get them wet and sweaty rendering them useless for day's end. I always make an effort to keep aside a set of what I call my "camp drys" which is just what it says......these are warm, dry clothes that I can put on in camp at the end of a long day, whether I'm in a shelter or a tent. Believe me, with a February start, you'll really want something comfortable and dry to change into when your hiking day is done, so don't cut it short on your clothing. This is a lousy way to save a couple of pounds.

gravityman
01-16-2009, 17:17
It's right on, except I would use expedition weight long underwear top and bottom rather than midweight. That's what we took for a March 1 start and were plenty happy. More importantly, make sure you sleeping bag is warm enough. Suggest Western Mountaineering Versalight.

joshua5878
01-16-2009, 20:00
I think their list is just fine; they've been looking after thru-hikers for a very long time and have a very good idea what they're talking about.

The key thing, especially with a February start, is ALWAYS keep some warm clothes for the end of the day, i.e. never let everything you have get wet or sweated out. This is why doubling up on long underwaer makes sense, as you'll likely be sleeping in a pair, and starting your day in them, meaning you might get them wet and sweaty rendering them useless for day's end. I always make an effort to keep aside a set of what I call my "camp drys" which is just what it says......these are warm, dry clothes that I can put on in camp at the end of a long day, whether I'm in a shelter or a tent. Believe me, with a February start, you'll really want something comfortable and dry to change into when your hiking day is done, so don't cut it short on your clothing. This is a lousy way to save a couple of pounds.

I agree. I added to their list a set of expedition weight tops and bottoms for nights.

joshua5878
01-16-2009, 20:16
It's right on, except I would use expedition weight long underwear top and bottom rather than midweight. That's what we took for a March 1 start and were plenty happy. More importantly, make sure you sleeping bag is warm enough. Suggest Western Mountaineering Versalight.

Of course bags are purchased. Mont-Bell's 15* Super Stretch with Thermarest 3 season regular size. I could still add sleeping bag liners or add'l pad. (or both) What do you all think? Thanks!I would rather error on the warmth side! :0)

Runsalone
01-17-2009, 11:31
I bet the mid weights were for in camp and the lightweights were for hiking in.:-? The mid weights never get wet or sweaty that way and you shouldnt need more that the lights while hiking, if any.:sun

Lyle
01-17-2009, 12:15
Of course bags are purchased. Mont-Bell's 15* Super Stretch with Thermarest 3 season regular size. I could still add sleeping bag liners or add'l pad. (or both) What do you all think? Thanks!I would rather error on the warmth side! :0)

Bag should be fine.

My guess would be that an additional torso or 3/4 length blue pad would offer more additional warmth early on than a liner. You can always add to your bag's top warmth by draping your insulation layer over it. It's difficult to add effective insulation to the bottom without and an additional pad.

Probably won't need it for too long, once the nights warm up, you could cut it down for a nice sit pad - very useful any time of year - or send it home, or place it in a hiker box. Blue pads are very cheap and very effective insulation.

KG4FAM
01-17-2009, 12:20
Of course bags are purchased. Mont-Bell's 15* Super Stretch with Thermarest 3 season regular size. I could still add sleeping bag liners or add'l pad. (or both) What do you all think? Thanks!I would rather error on the warmth side! :0)Get a liner just to keep the bag clean. That is a nice bag (I have one myself) and a liner is the easiest way to keep your dirty hiker funk out of it.

Nearly Normal
01-17-2009, 18:15
A liner sort of defeats the super stretch feature.

KG4FAM
01-17-2009, 19:13
A liner sort of defeats the super stretch feature.nope, i have a sea to summit reactor liner and it stretches. I guess the silk ones probably don't stretch. when i bought my MB UL SS #1 it came with a free MB liner (called warm up sheets) that didn't stretch so yeah that was kind of retarded.