PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else experience leakage with Big Agnes Air Core

hurryinghoosier
01-17-2009, 11:20
My Big Agnes Air Core sleeping pad started leaking last night. I tested it this morning in the swimming pool and the entire end opposite the blow up valve was leaking through the fabric. There was not one hole but the entire end was leaking in hundreds of spots. Strange---it was not leaking at the seams. Has anyone else had this problem? I am going to send it back but I am skeptical now that a replacement will do the same. Any help here?
Hoosier Ben

russb
01-17-2009, 11:25
Does you BA have the plastic valve or the brass one? Anyhoo, BA will repair or replace. Contact them.

hurryinghoosier
01-17-2009, 11:29
The valve is brass encased with some type of plastic/rubber

Lyle
01-17-2009, 11:59
Look on the bright side, You have a pool containing liquid water to test it in. Would be nigh onto impossible for most of us to test our BA in a pool right now. :D

YeOldeBackpacker
01-17-2009, 12:03
Big Agnes will replace that pad I'm sure.
What it sounds like is you may have done one of two things, got DEET on your pad which will eat the material or if it is at the seam it may be a delamination issue although very rare it can happen.

My Big Agnes Air Core sleeping pad started leaking last night. I tested it this morning in the swimming pool and the entire end opposite the blow up valve was leaking through the fabric. There was not one hole but the entire end was leaking in hundreds of spots. Strange---it was not leaking at the seams. Has anyone else had this problem? I am going to send it back but I am skeptical now that a replacement will do the same. Any help here?
Hoosier Ben

Tinker
01-17-2009, 12:07
No problems with mine. Used it last night with a bluefoam ccf pad on top in 5 degree weather in the open.
Sounds like you have a problem with inconsistent coating coverage. The inside of the fabric is polyurethane coated. If it's thin at any spot it can leak.
If there's obvious wear on the outside from dragging, or it's been too close to a fire these could cause failure like the one mentioned as well.

ChinMusic
01-17-2009, 12:08
Look on the bright side, You have a pool containing liquid water to test it in. Would be nigh onto impossible for most of us to test our BA in a pool right now. :D
I was thinking the same thing. When I saw "pool" I had to look at the state.

I just found a couple minor leaks in my Air Core a month ago, had to use my tub......:D I had noticed that if I inflated the pad all the way, left it alone for a few days, that it lost the tightness. The leaks were not big enough to deflate the pad over night so I was surprised that I even found them.

Wise Old Owl
01-17-2009, 12:13
Big Agnes will replace that pad I'm sure.
What it sounds like is you may have done one of two things, got DEET on your pad which will eat the material or if it is at the seam it may be a delamination issue although very rare it can happen.

Where did you pick up on that nugget of information?

KG4FAM
01-17-2009, 12:16
I hiked with a couple of folks that had leaky BA pads. They talked like BA knew about the problem and it was a particular manufacturing run that was bad. I think it was something about the bottom of the pad being black. I can't remember if black was bad or good. BA customer service took care of them and they were happy.

russb
01-17-2009, 12:30
Where did you pick up on that nugget of information?

I remember as a teen there were some plastics that when deet got on them would seemingly liquefy. IIRC electrical tape was one of them.

Johnny Thunder
01-17-2009, 12:47
I had an exped airmat. Did the same thing. They eventually replaced it...with another mattress that did the same thing. I broke the K.I.S.S. principle and deserved what I got.

Rcarver
01-17-2009, 13:50
I had one of the older all black one's that started losing air. I tested it in the bath tub, but could not see any visible leakage. My buddy Jody that works in an outfitter sent it back to BA for me. A few weeks later they sent me a new one. They never said what the problem was. But, they didn't give any problems about replacement either.

Marta
01-18-2009, 18:21
I had one of the black, leaky ones, too. I procrastinated for three or so years about sending it back. When I did, they replaced it for free. Can't beat that for customer service.

Uncle Tom
01-18-2009, 21:18
We had two of the earlier all-black covered air cores and both leaked after time. There were no punctures, were leaking from the valves somehow. In fact, I was staying in a shelter in Maine this fall and everyone there had leaks of some nature in their BA pads . Our replacements , which have a maroon cover, have been tight.
Uncle Tom
]

hurryinghoosier
01-19-2009, 20:51
Thanks for the input===talked to Big Agnes today and they indicated that the older black models had leakage problems but the problem has been corrected in the newer models. I told them I would like to have the maroon one but the indicated they would replace with a black one (newer model). What service!

the_black_spot
01-19-2009, 22:45
i have a black one and have had no leaks....

EMAN
01-20-2009, 13:49
I had one of the pads develop a leak which BA gladly replaced. However, the one they sent me leaked right out of the bag. They were a bit skeptical when I called them on this, saying the pad had come stright off the shelf and they test everything before it goes out. Nonetheless, the replced that one as well and I have not had another problem.

cannonball
01-20-2009, 17:22
Caution- don't over inflate or inflate to make a "hard matress. This will bring about leakage post haste:confused:

BA was real good about free replacement.:)