PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Mummy Sleeping Bag User Question

WalksInDark
01-17-2009, 15:47
Decided it was time to try out my Montbell Ultra Light Super Stretchy 0 degree down bag http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/images/smilies/thumbup1.gif.

Temps here were in single digits both Thursday night and Friday. I spent the nights outside in my tent in my Montbell.

Maybe because I toss and turn (and sometimes apparently burrow down into my sleeping bag) :bse, my mouth and nose almost never point directly out of the sleeping bags hood. Outcome.....condensation and/or moisture wherever my breath has been going.

So my questions are: do I even need to worry :-? about where my breath is going; and/or once I am out of the bag, how long will it take for the condensation and/or moisture to disappear?

Johnny Thunder
01-17-2009, 16:02
So my questions are: do I even need to worry :-? about where my breath is going; and/or once I am out of the bag, how long will it take for the condensation and/or moisture to disappear?

You probably will want to control the level of moisture in your bag b/c it does take away a lot of the loft, and therefore the warmth of your bag. There might be a few ways to combat this...

You could try to synch down the hood so that it moves with you when you toss and turn. This might be a bit too clostrophopic feeling but it's worth a shot.

Or...

You could put your pad inside the bag so that it won't move with you when you toss and turn. Then, you'd want to tighten up the part that comes across your shoulders and neck and leave the hood part relatively loose. You'd want to wear a thick hat or backlava in this setup so it might not be as warm.

The speed at which moisture will leave your bag depends on the amount of water that's already in the air along with the overall temperature. Even though it might be bone dry right now it will still take a while for the condensation to evaporate. Conversely, if you start at Springer in the Spring it is often humid and rainy on a lot of days. Even though it's 70 degrees doesn't mean that the moisture will instantly evaporate.

Slo-go'en
01-17-2009, 16:53
I wish someone would make a bag where the head hood normally goes over the top of the head instead of below it. I often end up with the bag upside down, but then the zipper baffle doesn't work right.

A good hat and scarf around the neck to keep drafts out helps a lot to prevent the need to snuggle deep into the bag. Backlava works good too.

The first thing you should do once you get out of the bag is stuff it to push out all the moist air so it doesn't have time to cool down and possibly freeze. Also roll up your sleeping mat while it's still warm and flexable.

Smile
01-17-2009, 18:54
Those Ul STretchy bags are awesome! Can't believe all mummy bags aren't made like that, just super comfy. I'd suggest you try a bandanna, you can tuck or tie it loosely. Be sure the baffle in that bag is sealed properly as well, that will keep your face up and out of the bag, and bag on you in the 'right' direction. Good choice of bags, you just won't beat the comfort of it if you toss and turn, or like to bend one leg.

Great idea to do a shakedown before hitting the trail. Happy hiking to you! :)

Live the Journey
01-17-2009, 19:38
I dont' know if this answers your question or not, but what I usually do when it's really cold is wear some kind of brimmed hat (lots of people like baseball caps, but I use a beanie with a short brim) and sinch the drawstring up quite a bit. The brim keeps the opening over my face, and there's just enough room for the moisture to escape and not get my bag wet/frosty. I can toss and turn as much as I want, and the hole stays over my face.

Tinker
01-17-2009, 20:53
I wish someone would make a bag where the head hood normally goes over the top of the head instead of below it. I often end up with the bag upside down, but then the zipper baffle doesn't work right.

A good hat and scarf around the neck to keep drafts out helps a lot to prevent the need to snuggle deep into the bag. Backlava works good too.

The first thing you should do once you get out of the bag is stuff it to push out all the moist air so it doesn't have time to cool down and possibly freeze. Also roll up your sleeping mat while it's still warm and flexable.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baklava

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balaclava_(clothing)

bigcranky
01-18-2009, 18:11
The short answer is yes, you need to worry about breathing inside your bag. The condensation will eventually, over several nights, reduce loft and warmth. If you get a sunny day, you can air out your bag when you stop for lunch. But it's best to keep your face in the opening so you exhale outside the bag.