PDA

View Full Version : First Need Water Purifier

WritinginCT
01-17-2009, 15:49
Does anyone have any experience with the First Need Water Purifier? Good or bad :)

Hikes in Rain
01-17-2009, 16:23
I've used one for years. Plusses are that it can turn the worst water into drinking water, remove odors and bad tastes via it's carbon filter, and removed even viruses due to it's micropore filter. Those plusses also lead to some of it's minuses: it's pretty slow to use, and it's a little bulky and heavy. Easy to maintain and service, and you don't have to wait to drink.

Spock
01-17-2009, 17:00
I second Hikes in Rain. It's a good, reliable filter. But I don't use it (or any other filter) on the AT. Never had a problem just being picky about water sources and using 4 drops of bleach per liter.

Phreak
01-17-2009, 17:31
Yes, I've been using one for years. Only downside is the weight, but well worth it in my opinion.

Tinker
01-17-2009, 22:22
Ditto all the above. Filter removes many organic chemicals (pesticides, herbicides, etc.) probably the best reason to use it over other filters or chemical treatments. It's the only thing in my pack (including the pack!) that I haven't changed in 30 years (well, I've been through a few filters :D).

Rough
01-17-2009, 22:46
Been using the First Need since 2003. Would not get on the trail without one. Newest model is the First Need Deluxe XL - longer filter life, pumps a little bit easier, filter cap now attached to main unit - I upgraded to this model at REI.com .

WritinginCT
01-17-2009, 23:00
The only down sides I've heard about this unit is that it's a little heavy/bulky and the filters are expensive. But that aside from that it's reliable.

I'm sold :D I like things that work and work well. And looking at the online instruction manual it's a piece of cake to backwash when needed. :cool: as I also like simple!