PDA

View Full Version : Bugs in MA

charlottebronte
04-25-2004, 15:27
I'm going to do a "rehearsal" hike for the thru in Massachusetts in late May. Is it going to be buggy? Rate the bugs on a scale of 1-10. Would you have a better recommendation for a "rehearsal" hike in late May?

Jaybird
04-25-2004, 15:56
I'm going to do a "rehearsal" hike for the thru in Massachusetts in late May. Is it going to be buggy? Rate the bugs on a scale of 1-10. Would you have a better recommendation for a "rehearsal" hike in late May?

i've been in MAINE during May...the black flys are pretty bad!
attroll can probably give you some first hand info...he lives there! :D

Chef2000
04-25-2004, 17:46
There will definitely be buggy. Expect Mosquitos, bees and maybe some black flies as well as gnats. I was just out last week in MA and the regulat old flies were spotted a few times when the weather got warmer. June is uaually worse for black flies.

DebW
04-25-2004, 18:30
Probably bad, but depends on the weather. If nights are cool you may luck out in the evenings and mornings. Black flies will probably be out during the day.

A-Train
04-25-2004, 18:50
You asked for better spots.

Mass is generally a very wet, boggy and as a result, buggy area.
Anywhere south will be better. I'd say New Jersey or New York would be lovely at this time of year, and you'd probably run into the first pack of thru-hikers. Pennsylvania can also be lovely in May, very green, no bugs and no heat yet. no problems finding water.

Basically I'd just head south. Vermont is not worth tackling this time of year due to lots of lingering snow, mud season and equal blackfly problems.

Good luck!

eyahiker
04-25-2004, 19:15
----------------------------------------:)

Moon Monster
04-26-2004, 00:06
charlotte,
Early May may be better than late for avoiding thick black flies, but mosquitos are probably the biggest concern for the entire month. And, be very watchful for ticks as well.

eyahiker,
Williamstown/North Adams is essentially the top of Mass. If you want to be official and touch the VT state line, you need only allow yourself an extra half day of hiking as it is only about 7.5 miles round trip to touch VErmont from route 2 by N. Adams. For some ideas on bus routes, check out the Berkshire Regional Transit Authority at: http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/6488/BRTA-hom.htm

okpik
04-26-2004, 08:50

hawkeye
04-26-2004, 10:21
How is CT. during late May? I will be doing 3-4 days starting at Fallls Village heading north.

Cosmo
04-28-2004, 20:27

Hey, bugs are part of the trail experience, and a wonderful source of protein too! My experience is that the bug scale vairies by elevation, temp, location, etc. There are some times where I think I will go mad, then an hour later it's OK. If you are looking for a lesiurely hike with lots of stops, choose a different time of year. Typically, if you keep a moderate pace or it's breezy, the Blackflies can't keep up. They will go away when it gets dark (to be replaced by mosquitoes to be sure). DEET is farily effective, as are lightwieght long sleeves and pants. I douse my hat liberally w/100% DEET and that seems to work well. I also prefer to tent rather than shelter, so I always have a bug free refuge.

The worst I have encountered is Southern VT in late May. One time at Nauheim Shelter, I had to set up my tent just to eat lunch.

Depending on timing Charlotte, I may be able to offer a shuttle. You can check out my bona fides with Deb W, then e-mail me and let's see if our schedules synch.

Cosmo

Rambler
04-28-2004, 21:24
eyahiker: major bus lines leave regularily from the Williamstown Inn, c. three miles from the trail. Ask, but might have to pay in cash, not credit card.

A-Train
04-28-2004, 21:40
The worst I have encountered is Southern VT in late May. One time at Nauheim Shelter, I had to set up my tent just to eat lunch.

Cosmo[/QUOTE]

Pretty funny, since I was planning on starting the LT in late May from the south. Think i'll wait a week or two. Not like it'll make much difference :)

Look for my journal accounts of me going crazy