PDA

View Full Version : LBL North South Trail

jcramin
01-17-2009, 19:19
My son and I want to do the North South Trail in LBL (Land Between the Lakes) But we have one problem that I need help with. Is there any kind of shuttle service in that park ? Either at the start or at the end ....

Anyone have any info on any way to do this ?

Thanks,
J

Rain Man
01-17-2009, 19:36
Turtle2 is a WBer and former thru-hiker who lives very near Land Between the Lakes. You might check with her. Could PM her on here. Not to mention you could check with the Park staff.

The Nashville Backpackers Meetup Group is doing the northern third of the North-South Trail next weekend, if you'd like to tag along.

Rain:sunMan

Kanati
01-17-2009, 20:46
Land Between the Lakes is one of my favorite places. I live about 2 hours south of there. I have hunted and hiked LBL for more than 25 years and am very familiar with the NS trail. It is an easy hike thru beautiful forest. The total length is about 35 + miles. There are lots of deer and wild turkeys at LBL. There is no shuttle service there however. You can camp anywhere along the length of the NS trail, except within 150 ft of any of the major roads. If you enter from the south end (TN side), stop at the south visitor center for a map and information. The folks there are very helpful and they may help you find someone who can shuttle you.

You may already know this but in case you don't, the park HQ is located at Golden Pond, KY., ph (270) 924-2000, or www. lbl.org

Interesting that you would mention this today as I just received my application for the LBL turkey hunting lottery in the mail today.

If I can be of any help please let me know.

happy hiking. :sun

jcramin
01-17-2009, 21:23
Thank for all the info, I only live about 2 hours away just outside of Memphis. Ive been to LBL to hike and horseback ride several times but never to hike yet.

J

Rain Man
01-18-2009, 11:06
The total length is about 35 + miles.

The guidebook lists 59.8 miles.

Jeepocachers
01-19-2009, 10:17
I live about 15 minutes from the North Welcome Station. I've shuttled a member to the South Welcome station and they hiked back to their car in the North...if you would like to do something like that. I'd be happy to help out, depending on which day of the week you plan to start.

jcramin
01-19-2009, 21:58
I live about 15 minutes from the North Welcome Station. I've shuttled a member to the South Welcome station and they hiked back to their car in the North...if you would like to do something like that. I'd be happy to help out, depending on which day of the week you plan to start.

From lookin at your name, can I assume you also have a jeep and your a geocacher too ?

Thank you very much. When we start planning the trip I will get ahold of you to see if you can shuttle us.

Thank you so much,
J

Jeepocachers
01-20-2009, 09:58
No problem, and yes, your assumptions are correct

The Solemates
01-20-2009, 10:23
the trail is 60 miles, not 35. we did it at a leisurely pace in 3.5 days. the trail can easily be done in 2 days. the terrain is very easy, rolling. we saw lots of wild turkey on our hike. there are not as many views of the lake as I would have liked. the shelters are interesting. you could do the whole trail without a tent if you really wanted.

Kanati
01-20-2009, 10:36
I didn't realize the trail was so long. It's good to learn that it is a 3 day/2 night hike. May do that myself before long. Thanks.

John B
01-20-2009, 11:25
Any need to carry a map; if so, any suggestions? At a glance, it looks like a straight shot.

Jeepocachers
01-20-2009, 13:00
Any need to carry a map; if so, any suggestions? At a glance, it looks like a straight shot.

You can get a park map at either of the welcome stations. They have two different kinds, and one is more suited to hiking that the other. Don't really need one, but it's nice to know where the shelters and springs are located along with various attractions.

EMAN
01-20-2009, 13:36
FYI, I was at Golden Pond about 3 weeks ago. There is some sort of construction going on from the Visitor Center some ways north that they told me prevented folks from doing that small section of the trail. Might be worth a call to that VC to ax them about this. They said this project would be going on for a while.
Rain Man- When do y'all start that? Is that the weekend of 23-25?
Thanks.

Jeepocachers
01-20-2009, 14:10
FYI, I was at Golden Pond about 3 weeks ago. There is some sort of construction going on from the Visitor Center some ways north that they told me prevented folks from doing that small section of the trail.

We did this piece not too long ago, hiking up from the southern end to Jenny Ridge. The trail took us out of the woods to the road at Golden Pond, and we had to walk through the construction under the bridge, but just after passing the bridge, we saw a path that went back into the woods. I didn't see any markers, but it was the N/S trail. This was on a Sunday though, so there was no construction going on. I could see how it might have been a little dangerous otherwise.

ChinMusic
01-20-2009, 14:25
I didn't realize the trail was so long. It's good to learn that it is a 3 day/2 night hike. May do that myself before long. Thanks.
If you need to truncate the trail, don't cut the northern section. The north is MUCH better than the south.

Jeepocachers
01-20-2009, 14:37
If you need to truncate the trail, don't cut the northern section. The north is MUCH better than the south.

I absolutely agree. I would never choose to do the southern portion again. It seems more suited for horses and empty beer cans.

jcramin
01-20-2009, 17:35
No problem, and yes, your assumptions are correct

Are there many geocaches along the North/South trail that can be hit while hiking the trail ?

J

Jeepocachers
01-20-2009, 18:02
Are there many geocaches along the North/South trail that can be hit while hiking the trail ?

J

Just a few. Most of the hundreds of caches in LBL are away from the N/S Trail.

Rain Man
01-20-2009, 19:59
Rain Man- When do y'all start that? Is that the weekend of 23-25?

EMAN, it is this weekend, the 24th and 25th. It is the Nashville Backpackers MeetUp.com group. I might or might not be going. Not 100% yet.

The group will drive up Sat morning, hike a bit, camp, finish Sunday and drive back. Whole mileage they are counting on is 15. Not much for two days. If I go, I'd do an extra 3 miles at the north end, to knock it off.

Turtle2
01-20-2009, 21:57
Hi there. I live a mile from the 68/80 bridge at Canton. Let me know if I can help shuttle. Send me a PM.

One thing to remember, there is a Primitive Camping Permit required by the Forest Service. They have just raised it to $20 but it is good for a year from issue date. It can be obtained at the Golden Pond Visitor's Center. Some folks stop by during their hike as you pass right by and it is a good excuse to stop for a soda and restrooms. That having been said, I've not seen a Ranger on the trail. And, Yes, the northern section is much prettier than the south.

If you are driving from afar, there is Piney Campground in the south and camping in the north to allow an early start if you arrive after work one evening. Of course, most of us just camp in the woods.

The construction in question is the road improvement from 2 to 4 lanes. That is scheduled to be completed in 2010 or 2011. They should complete the section around the N/S Trail by the end of this summer.

uprocks
01-26-2009, 02:10
Have MTB on the northern (from Golden Pond) section multiple times. Trail was always in great condition.

Only once did we hike on the southern section. Serious horse damage with lots of beer can debris. Would not repeat.

jcramin
01-28-2009, 09:37
I think we are going to try and do the a bunch of the Fort Henry Trail during Easter Weekend since its a long weekend and then this summer do the full North/South Trail.

J

Rain Man
01-28-2009, 11:10
Have MTB on the northern (from Golden Pond) section multiple times.

"MTB"? Wanna try it again in English? :)

MOWGLI
01-28-2009, 11:23

I believe that is "mountain biked".

uprocks
01-31-2009, 21:25
Mowgli is right. Apologies for the jargon slip. :)

And some more personal perspective on LBL...what a real gem for the area. I lived in W TN for close to 9 years, and was shocked by the transition from Upstate SC.

Now that I'm back "home", the places I remember keeping me sane were LBL, the relatively "un-trailed" Natchez Trace State Park and Montgomery Bell. LBL was a life saver...miles of trail with what seemed like no one on them (exception for the ones near the horse camp). Landlocked w/ no towns, the place seemed empty of human travel when the lights went out.

Awsome.

Rain Man
02-01-2009, 11:32
Mowgli is right. Apologies for the jargon slip. :)

No problem, just didn't know what you were saying. Hey, if you are familiar with the Natchez Trace hiking, there is a new thread on here asking for help with that. You might want to check it out and you might be able to help the WBer who's asking for help. I know nothing about hiking the NT. Here's the title of the thread along with a direct link to that thread--
Natchez Trace State Park in Tennessee (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45938)