PDA

View Full Version : Apalachicola NF section hike

ednotmilkman
01-18-2009, 01:09
hi from southeast AL,

Just wanted to mention that I'm not planning a FL trail hike myself, but since I'm fairly close by, let me know if anyone would like a hiking companion for a few days, including shuttle help, through Apalachicola NF, or wherever the FT goes west into the panhandle. I work part time so am flexible.

I have no knowledge of the Florida trail yet so give me specifics about locations. If I need to buy the NF map or a FT trail guide - is it available near the trail or do I need to order it?

BumpJumper
01-18-2009, 20:59
Hi Ed...Welcome:welcome

You can go to floridatrail.com and they have one you can order online. I am going to do some day hikes up there in the next few months. I have full weekends thru February so it will be after that.
Did you have any specifics in mind?

Hammock Hanger
01-19-2009, 18:58
hi from southeast AL,

Just wanted to mention that I'm not planning a FL trail hike myself, but since I'm fairly close by, let me know if anyone would like a hiking companion for a few days, including shuttle help, through Apalachicola NF, or wherever the FT goes west into the panhandle. I work part time so am flexible.

I have no knowledge of the Florida trail yet so give me specifics about locations. If I need to buy the NF map or a FT trail guide - is it available near the trail or do I need to order it?

I would absolutely like to talk to you about this. I have 20 miles from the Villas Campsite south to hike to finally complete the FT. This is a section in the northern half of the Apalachicola NF. It is so remote and out of the way it is difficult to plan as a solo hike unless I hike in 20 and out 20. Which I would rather not do. I am actually going on a kayak trip in early March and would be partially in the area, if you were free on March 7 or 8th it would be fantastic. However, I would also be willing to drive back out there if we get some type of group hike set up.

ednotmilkman
01-20-2009, 11:30
hi bj and hh,

March 6-7 is the weekend of the Alabama Hiking Trail Society conference near Mobile and I'm already registered for that. I'd rather go home the next day, Sunday, but might still go over the evening of the 8th to hike with you hh the next few days if thats the best time for you. I work in construction and it's been slow all fall and winter, but we have a couple of jobs coming up next week, so it's hard to tell if I'd be working in March at this time.

I always prefer at least a 2 nighter once I get ready to hike. Are there other trails in the N.F. besides the Florida trail to make a loop hike? If not, there's hardly a reason to buy a map !

Edwin

Hammock Hanger
01-22-2009, 20:52
hi bj and hh,

March 6-7 is the weekend of the Alabama Hiking Trail Society conference near Mobile and I'm already registered for that. I'd rather go home the next day, Sunday, but might still go over the evening of the 8th to hike with you hh the next few days if thats the best time for you. I work in construction and it's been slow all fall and winter, but we have a couple of jobs coming up next week, so it's hard to tell if I'd be working in March at this time.

I always prefer at least a 2 nighter once I get ready to hike. Are there other trails in the N.F. besides the Florida trail to make a loop hike? If not, there's hardly a reason to buy a map !

Edwin

I have a lot going on at that time. I was suppose to be going to the AHTS conference myself. However, the person I was going with has a conflict so I doubt I will be going. I will be in the area doing a kayak trip but that will get done the day before the AHTS conference. So, perhaps we can plan somehing for a couple of days a little later on in the winter.

Sue

Gray Blazer
01-22-2009, 21:29
I have a lot going on at that time. I was suppose to be going to the AHTS conference myself. However, the person I was going with has a conflict so I doubt I will be going. I will be in the area doing a kayak trip but that will get done the day before the AHTS conference. So, perhaps we can plan somehing for a couple of days a little later on in the winter.

Sue

I was thinking we (orange blazers) could get together and be with you when you complete the FT and then celebrate. Just an idea. What say the rest of youse?

BumpJumper
01-23-2009, 14:38
Weins say yes....that is a great idea Gray.....Sue, what do you think?

Gray Blazer
01-24-2009, 14:30
Tomorrow, Sunday, I'm going to worship service in the woods. In other words, I'm going hiking.

I'm starting at Camp Branch on the Suwanee (parking lot that is off the road between 129 and White Springs) if you'd like to join me and Blaze. I'm gonna hike south on the FT 'til about 1:00, stop, eat lunch and then head back to my vehicle. Peace out!!

Gray Blazer
01-24-2009, 20:53
I'm still going. I'll be at the Camp Branch parking lot at 8:00 am tomorrow morning.

chiefduffy
01-25-2009, 06:25
I love that area! But I can't hike this Sunday, daughter's birthday dinner. I plan to hike the new section Big to Little Shoals next Sunday tho, company welcome. (Home before the Super Bowl) Gray, please post how your hike turned out!

-Duffy

Gray Blazer
01-26-2009, 20:51
Hey Chief, sorry I missed your email.

Alright, here's my trip report.
Left Parking lot at Camp Branch at 8:30 am. Funny seeing my footprints from the week before. I don't think many people go there. It's at least a mile or more to the Suwanee and FT. There are spring fed streams and sinkholes. There is one sinkhole that a tumbling stream dissappears into and another where you can see the water flowing thru the bottom. Beautiful. I headed south, hiked to I-75 and saw no one on the trail the whole time. Saw one kayaker and some people canoe camping. Lots of steep ravines. One was so steep it had a cable to hold on to while ascending.
The trail is extremely nice and well marked. If you are familiar with the FT there is a lot of jeep road walking. I like walking on the sandy jeep roads, but, if you are not paying attention you can miss the little turnoffs into the woods. I missed one past Jerry Branch and thought I could cut back to the river and pick up the FT again. After 45 minutes of bushwhacking and dead ends and brambles and swamps I did find it again. Next time I will back track. I don't have the FT guide. but, I'm guessing it was 9 miles from the Camp Branch Parking lot to I-75. It was prolly less, but, it felt like 9.

Great hike. Blaze and I were worn out by the end of the day. It's beautiful hiking next to the Suwanee River. I'll post a couple of pics in my gallery in a couple of minutes.

chiefduffy
01-27-2009, 04:26
Nice report, thanks!

Gray Blazer
01-27-2009, 08:28
Couldn't download the pics. Maybe tonite.

BumpJumper
01-27-2009, 17:30
This thread sucks without pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D

Gray Blazer
01-27-2009, 19:11
Couldn't download the pics. Maybe tonite.

OK, The pics are downloaded into my WB Gallery. They won't be there for long so check 'em out. If you can bring them here to the thread, be my guest. I still haven't figured out how to do that yet.

Gray Blazer
01-27-2009, 19:13
FT builders and maintainers, I couldn't get my dog over the steps at I-75. There were some hard steps for her near Keystone Heights, too. I'm not complaining. It's just hard to get a big dog over some of those fences. I may have to pack a block and tackle.

tom_alan
01-27-2009, 21:56
OK, The pics are downloaded into my WB Gallery. They won't be there for long so check 'em out. If you can bring them here to the thread, be my guest. I still haven't figured out how to do that yet.

Ok' Gray here is how to do it. Bring the picture up that you want to post. Right click on the picture and click on "Properties". Look for the URL of the picture. Double click on the URL ~ should highlight the URL. Than hit "Ctrl C" at the same time. Come back here and enter "".
Than hit "Ctrl V" at the same time. Than enter "". Thats it.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/2/1/7/096.jpg

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/2/1/7/065.jpg

You should be able to right click the picture and hit "copy" as well that add the picture using the same method.

Cheers,

Tom

BumpJumper
01-29-2009, 13:38
Gray, your doggie lost a shoe. Do you belong to the Florida Trail Association? If so, you should have a chapter. Report it to them or email FTA. I doubt very seriously any Ftrooper's are reading this and it is going to get fixed this way.

Gray Blazer
01-29-2009, 14:26
Well, I do live in G'ville so I guess I could go across town to the FT headquarters and tell them. One of my former students Grandmas work there.

Mal the Elder
01-29-2009, 21:37
Sweet pics, GB. I believe I've paddled & camped along that stretch long years back.

Now I'm really sorry I wussed out. . . .

Mal

Gray Blazer
01-29-2009, 21:58
Sweet pics, GB. I believe I've paddled & camped along that stretch long years back.

Now I'm really sorry I wussed out. . . .

Mal

There's more pics in my gallery. Thanks, Tom Alan.

We paddled it with the boy scouts about 35 years ago.

tom_alan
01-29-2009, 22:12
There's more pics in my gallery. Thanks, Tom Alan.

We paddled it with the boy scouts about 35 years ago.

You are :welcome. It was my pleasure!:sun

tom_alan
01-29-2009, 22:25
Gray, thought I would put a couple more up for you,

Tom

[/URL]

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/2/1/7/041.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=30956&original=1&c=member&orderby=dateline&direction=DESC&imageuser=6217&cutoffdate=-1)

[URL="http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=30954&original=1&c=member&orderby=dateline&direction=DESC&imageuser=6217&cutoffdate=-1"]

Looks like a great place to hike or kayak. Hope I might make the trip there someday to do that. You have some great pictures.