PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about boots

Earl Grey
01-18-2009, 10:29
Ive never had a serious pair of boots but would like to get some for winter hiking. I do have a pair of vasque but theyre not ankle high theyre like a normal tennis shoe. Ive liked them alot but theyre starting to get worn out. The vasques were a gift and they happened to be very good and I liked them alot. Should I get an ankle high version of that boot? What else is out there thats good?

dmax
01-18-2009, 13:15
I use Vasque sundowners in the winter, down south. You could use the style you talk about with some short or tall gaiters to help keep snow out.

mudhead
01-18-2009, 14:23
Ive liked them alot Tthey happened to be very good and I liked them alot.

Seems like you ought to snag another pair of those while you mess around with the other options.

Kanati
01-18-2009, 18:38
I wear Vasque Wasatch gtx and grease them with Nikwax. They are alost warm. They do a good job until you get a few hundred miles on them then they beging to leak. I wore out two pair on my thru last year, and I still have most of ME to do.

Tinker
01-18-2009, 18:48
Don't be surprised if different models of Vasque boots fit differently in the same size. It happens with all manufacturers. I don't know why, but it seems to be the case. I'm a big proponent of low top hikers, trail runners, and sandals, but if you're likely to encounter snow, you may do well to go with a light boot. My current answer to the boot/shoe debate is to use trail runners (even in the snow, but not above treeline, even with crampons) and Sealskinz socks which are waterproof (kinda) and breathable (kinda). They're thin, but they keep my feet warm as long as I'm walking. In camp I like to use down booties (I'm such a wimp! :D).

NCYankee
01-18-2009, 22:03
I have a pair of asolo 520 gtx's that I really like. The break in period was pretty long with a severe blister on my large toes but otherwise they hold up great, allow me to walk through ankle deep water (I like goretex unlike a lot of other people) and are comfortable.

I also wear them in summer because I am clumsy and seem to roll my ankle a little too often for my own good.

My wife has the REI Spirit boots. She likes them a lot and has had no break in problems with them. She also has not had a blister issue with them. She is happy with them and would buy them again (we kept the box just based off the reviews on the site with them falling apart).

DavidNH
01-18-2009, 22:25
Ive never had a serious pair of boots but would like to get some for winter hiking. I do have a pair of vasque but theyre not ankle high theyre like a normal tennis shoe. Ive liked them alot but theyre starting to get worn out. The vasques were a gift and they happened to be very good and I liked them alot. Should I get an ankle high version of that boot? What else is out there thats good?

Winter Hiking. You are in NC where the winter is probably not like ours in New Hampshire. Up here you would not think of hiking with out an insulated boot. in the whites you'd want a plastic mountaineering boot.

Down there, you might get by on regular hiking boots. For smokies, if it is cold maybe sorels?

david

Earl Grey
01-21-2009, 19:46
I am interested in either the Wastach, Sundowner or Breeze.

Which one of these is the best?

ASUGrad
01-26-2009, 16:16
I use hiking shoes instead of boots. But I bought a pair of cheap boots to wear to work. Really cheap. $15 for the pair. They are OK but I cannot walk far in them because they rub. They are very roomy.

I went to a Scout event where it was -6F. I wore the boots with a pair of cotton socks with wool socks over the cotton socks. They worked great. My feet stayed warm and I was able to do some moderate hiking in them. I was surprised. Not impressed enough to give up my hiking shoes but impressed.

Jonnycat
01-26-2009, 22:03
The best pair of boots you can buy is the pair of boots that fit your feet.