PDA

View Full Version : comparing windshirts

Wags
01-18-2009, 11:59
i'm looking for other options than marmot's driclime. i'd like to investigate integrating a windshirt into my clothing system and would like a couple options.

thanks

burger
01-18-2009, 12:32
I know they call it a windshirt, but the Marmot Driclime is more of an insulating jacket than just a wind blocker. If you're looking for something just to block wind an provide a little extra warmth, you can't do much better than the Patagonia Houdini, but you can check out lots of windshirt reviews here (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/category_display?cid=49&cat=Clothing%20-%20Wind%20%26%20Soft%20Shell).

g8trh8tr
01-18-2009, 14:35
I use a Golite Wisp...

JAK
01-18-2009, 15:01
You really can't go wrong with plain old nylon if it is light enough to be breathable enough.
I found a couple of cheap light nylon wind jackets at LL Bean Outlet, about 4oz each.
I got a Large for summer and an XXL for winter. $12 and $20.

Its worth paying more if pockets etc are where you want them, but light weight is key.

Nearly Normal
01-18-2009, 20:30
use your rain coat

trail ronin
01-20-2009, 02:56
I use the driclim.
I think it's really overpriced but the best piece of kit ever.

Marta
01-20-2009, 06:54
I've got the Montane jacket and pants. They've lasted since 2005 or so, getting a fair amount of use. I like 'em, and haven't had an excuse to buy/try any others.

Hoop
01-20-2009, 07:20
Ditto the Montane shirt (bought it here on WB).

Grinder
01-20-2009, 09:03
I'm trying a sheddable shell from here
http://www.disposable-garments.com

It's a tyvek jacket that weighs 3 OZ (actual weight measured by me). cost under $20 delivered.

The thing looks kind of fragile, but we'll see. I plan to use it as a windbreaker. with EWS underwear and a tee shirt underneath.

Years ago, I had one I got as a souvenir from the Gasparilla Distance Classic, before Tyvek got any publicity. I wore that thing for years until it finally tattered, so I'm hopeful.

I'll have my driducks for backup.

the_black_spot
01-20-2009, 11:39
i got the montbell one on sale a while back. it is amazing what 2 oz will do to your clothing system.

i would get one with a hood tho.

Oms
01-24-2009, 09:22
The Montane Aero weighs 3.2 oz, stuffs to the size of a tennis ball and breaths great (I love Pertex Quantum fabric). It is not water proof at all, but better used for layering when rounding a breezy ridge or short rest periods. The old style has a chest pocket which is good for a map or keeping my water warm under a top layer while hiking in winter. I've had it for years and I hope it never dies. Hard to find and a little overpriced, but worth it. I was up in Banff, a while back, and noticed some in a outdoor shop for cheap. I wish I could have afforded an extra one for the future. I'd love to buy some of their pants. All said, a windshirt works well for me. Don't leave home without it what ever time of year.