PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Springs Campground

slider
04-25-2004, 21:44
Just returned from my Dick's Creek to Wallace Gap. The trail is in great shape from recent trail work. We stayed at Rainbow Springs where they had stored my car. The new "Ert" bunkhouse was great. The new owners were happy to see us and very helpful. I visited the new outfitters store and found it well supplied for hikers. All in all I glad I was able to stay there for just a little while. While on the trail we encountered a 17 year old high school drop out ..he had a trash bag for a pack and a golf umbrella and had been living off the goodness of other hikers and what he could find in shelters. I shared this at the campground..they said they would be on the look out for him and would try to give him a little help. His name was Mark and according to other hikers he had been out there for several weeks.

A-Train
04-25-2004, 22:21
We stayed at Rainbow Springs where they had stored my car. The new "Ert" bunkhouse was great.

I think its Yurt. :)

Moon Monster
04-25-2004, 23:51
While on the trail we encountered a 17 year old high school drop out ..he had a trash bag for a pack and a golf umbrella and had been living off the goodness of other hikers and what he could find in shelters.

It is not cool if this guy is relying solely on other hikers to keep him fed. Hopefully that is not the case. Nevertheless, I commend your generosity to the guy, slider. Hopefully he finds what he is looking for, and soon.

Jack Lincoln
04-26-2004, 02:40
Moon Monster

You won't give him anything because that is your philosopy. Your good! But, I might give him lots of things. Jack Tarlin might give him a couple of snorts from a fuel bottle. Who knows? We are all different......

Kerosene
04-26-2004, 09:22
I left my car at the Rainbow Springs Campground earlier this month for a week-long hike from Amicalola. I ended up cutting off the Albert Mountain loop by using the Kimsey Creek Trail from Deep Gap (lovely trail), showing up a day early right at dusk. They opened up just for me to let me get on my way. It looked like the Mountain Crossings outfitter had a fairly good equipment selection.

Jack Tarlin
04-26-2004, 12:14
Not if he's underage I wouldn't, Mr. Lincoln. But thanks for your kind words.

Moon Monster
04-26-2004, 19:16
Moon Monster

You won't give him anything because that is your philosopy. Your good! But, I might give him lots of things. Jack Tarlin might give him a couple of snorts from a fuel bottle. Who knows? We are all different......

I'm sorry, that is not my philosophy at all. I would indeed help the fellow out and I would commend you for doing the same, as I did to slider. Please reread my orig. post.

B Thrash
05-10-2004, 21:17
Spare Pocket took a photo of this kid and posted it in her photo section on trail journals. He had not come through Wesser as of 7 May 2004.

B Thrash
05-11-2004, 19:55
The kid hiking the AT with a garbage bag for a pack has a trail name of "Santa".

uscgretired
05-11-2004, 20:14
I met this young man somewhere between Standing Indian and Carter Gap Shelter on my Southbound section hike to Hiawasse. He was carrying his black garbage bag in one hand and his unrolled sleeping bag in another. He looked like he just woke up and grabbed everything and hit the trail. I thought it strange at the time. We exchanged pleasantries and he went North and I continued South. Speaking of Spare Pockets, what a great lady. She has a very enthusiastic attitude about the trail and is determined to go all the way. If you have read her journal you will know that she is a recent cancer patient and had a breast removed. She changed her trail name from KarenSioux to spare pocket because she can now store items in that spare pocket. I met her and her friend Larry at the Hiker Hostel in Dalonega(sp.) and then again at the Hiwasse Inn when I finished my section hike. Both of them fine people.

B Thrash
05-11-2004, 22:03
Remarkable Lady. I will follow her thru-hike and know that she will make it.