PDA

View Full Version : Jetboil questions..

mindi
01-18-2009, 13:43
I'm looking into a Jetboil for my SOBO but I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly which model to buy. Also, how long does a canister last, and are there any sections where it would be hard to find them? What about bringing them on a plane?

KG4FAM
01-18-2009, 14:13
If it is just you the the PCS is the one you want. It is plenty big for one meal. The only thing I hate about it is that it is narrow and therefore harder to clean without getting you hand all messy.

I hiked from Katahdin to just past Monson with my dad and used one canister. Two dinners every night and one coffee about every other morning for my dad.

Canisters don't go on planes. Stoves are fine if you have them in a checked bag. You can get canisters at the AT Lodge in Millinocket (you may have to be a paying guest). There are stores in Portland and Bangor that you can get a canister at as well if you are renting a car or can work the bus.

Its kind of hard to find canisters in Maine. You can call up the hostels/hotels that you know you are going to stay at and see if they can pick one up for you while they are out. I did that at the Stratton Motel and only had to pay a dollar extra for her trouble (I did stay there as well).

4eyedbuzzard
01-18-2009, 14:28
1) you can't transport or ship or mail gas canisters via air. you can mail them ahead, ORM-D/surface mail only.
2) the standard size jetboil PCS is likely fine for a solo hiker. the bigger GCS is probably overkill for all but a trail gourmet.
3) the jetboil's biggest strengths are fuel efficiency and "foolproofness"
4) there are lighter weight canister alternatives(snow peak giga and MSR pocket rocket come to mind), and lighter weight alcohol stove alternatives--none of these are as convenient or foolproof as the heavier jetboil though(IMO).
5) i haven't thru-hiked so i'm not familiar with canister availability everywhere on the AT. Most places that cater to hikers have them, and the other manufacturers canisters will fit the jetboil and vice-versa, but they won't all pack inside the jetboil pot. you can mail them ahead, ORM-D/surface mail only.
6) figure about 8 to 9 liters of water boiled per 100 gram canister, depends upon how attentive you are(don't let it sit there boiling) and the starting temperature of the water you're boiling. You can also stretch this by not fully boiling the water--just bring it to the point it starts bubbling and steaming and you'll have hot enough(@190-200 deg) water and save fuel.

Panzer1
01-18-2009, 14:52
You can also stretch this by not fully boiling the water--just bring it to the point it starts bubbling and steaming and you'll have hot enough(@190-200 deg) water and save fuel.Although I know that some on this list do not wash their pots wit soap and water and instead rely on the daily boiling of water to sterilize their pot.

I don't think there is really anything wrong with buying your next canister long before the first runs out. That way you don't have to worry about running out. And yea, that weights more to do it that way but you will be able to cook all you want without worrying about running out. The extra weight really is not that much.

Panzer