PDA

View Full Version : Planning section hike - advice welcome

trailhawk
01-18-2009, 15:12
I am an experienced hiker and outdoorsman and have had the dream of completing the AT for years. With work and other commitments, I am unable to commit such a long span of time for years to come. So... I have decided to begin the section process and at least get a start. My problem now is that there are many of my friends that want to go along and have (for the most part) little to no experience with hiking or the outdoors in general. I am excited to get them out and have given them all assigments to get them ready. We are all spread out and it is hard to ensure that they are prepared in any aspect with the exception of what gear they purchase. Now the question. Where to do the first section? I have experience in the WV, VA, and S. PA areas, and they are all nice. BUT... I am looking for any advice on a stretch that is around 100 miles or so of the most scenic, and a bit easier on a handful newcomers to imtroduce them to our way of outdoor living. I know there are gonna be those who just are not going to like it, and will not return for the next section. I would just like to entice those who are borderline with the best of what the AT has in a single section bundle. Try to "addict" them that way! I appreciate your responses

Phreak
01-18-2009, 15:25
I can't speak from experience but I've heard/read the 100 mile stretch in the Shenandoah is easy.

hnryclay
01-18-2009, 17:14
Atkins to Damascus, is beautiful, not that hard of a section, and goes through the Grayson Highlands. One of the most beautiful areas in the Southeast in my opinion.

Doctari
01-18-2009, 18:39
Atkins to Damascus, is beautiful, not that hard of a section, and goes through the Grayson Highlands. One of the most beautiful areas in the Southeast in my opinion.

At about 76 miles it's do-able in about 7 days, easily. AND, you will see a wide varity of terrain from woods to wide open balds, Mt tops to way cool valleys. With the added "Bonus" of semi wild ponies.

Also, if your Newbies are beat near the end of the trip, there is the gentle downhill to Damascus on the VA Creeper trail just a few miles past the Lost Mt shelter.

trailhawk
01-18-2009, 19:37
so, it is best to do that section north to south?

hnryclay
01-18-2009, 20:36
I think so, Atkins is a very small town really just a truck stop and a school. Damascus offers bed and breakfasts, and a couple hostels where you can shower up for your ride home. It is also easier to walk north to south in this section IMO.

Blissful
01-18-2009, 23:23
Do Shenandoah, esp with newcomers, without a doubt. Good trail, interesting, places to eat too

trailhawk
01-19-2009, 02:02
I have done a good portion of shenandoah on several trips on previous outings (trail and canoe) and have enjoyed every minute of it. I am just afraid that I may spoil the newbies with the lap of luxury on the trail and they may not get to know what the wilderness has to offer other than a hotdog and a cold soda. Maybe I am just being over cautious and maybe I want to push them to their limits early on. This is the first time they are out and I want them to know they can handle more than the mall and McDonalds. LOL. My very first thought was to take it easy with the place place that has the most options to go home for those with weak minds and hearts, but the more time goes on and the more people that say they want to go (a couple more today), the more I do not want them to have an easy way out. I have been in places (mainly alaska), where I was almost ready to throw in the towel and get on the sat phone, but am glad now that I had way too much pride to do so. It is most definitely those times that you prove to yourself who you are. Not so much what you are made of, more so an eye opener of what you are going to be from that day forward.

tuswm
01-19-2009, 14:22
I recently spent a few months planning a trip like this for 8 first time back packers.

Things I noticed
They will pack too much food
they will pack too much clothes
they will pack to much crap
I had a 110 lb girl pack a 80 lb pack
tell them before you will go through each of their packs and toss out anything you don't want them to carry.

some people can follow a trail when other people will get lost not matter how well the trail is marked. yes even the AT. have the more experienced at the front and back. and even with adults make sure the hopeless have an experienced partner. That partner is to never be out of fight and has veto power over ANY AND ALL actions.

The girl that took the 80 lb pack didn't have a water filter, or a tent, she had a 40 year old sleeping pad that she had not test inflated it didn't work, she had 20 lbs of camera equipment and even school books. We spent an 2 hours looking for her the first night then she got lost again 2 more times the first week. She refused to get out of her tent and we would have to wait hours on her every morning. after the 3rd (2 of which she spent crying) night she was given a talking too we talked about leaving her at out bail out point.

she said she would change and shape up and we all carried some of her stuff. Big mistake we should have left her at the bail out point.

Well she got lost again we actually ended up having to rescue her. she had been rock climbing while showing off for another group in the canyon lands. she got stuck. it took us 3 hours to get her down. we ended up not being able to make our planned camp sites that we had permits for and even FINED by national park rangers:mad:.

This wasn't a young girl, this was a 22 year old women. :eek:

Don't take them just because they are your friends

Don't be scared to take charge and kick people off the trip and make them call for a ride. Some people are not meant to leave the safety of their own home.

I got an email from her a few weeks ago telling me that she was organizing a group trip back to the same place that she was leading and asked if I wanted to tag along. OMG they are all goign to die.

Blissful
01-19-2009, 15:14
I have done a good portion of shenandoah on several trips on previous outings (trail and canoe) and have enjoyed every minute of it. I am just afraid that I may spoil the newbies with the lap of luxury on the trail and they may not get to know what the wilderness has to offer other than a hotdog and a cold soda. Maybe I am just being over cautious and maybe I want to push them to their limits early on.

I guess it depends on the people you plan to bring and if you are truly doing it for them or for you. :) If they are adventuresome types who can't wait to get out there and get rugged and have challenges hiking (the "let me at it" attitude), then by all means, choose a different part of the trail. If they are unsure about the whole deal, about terrain, handling a backpack, camping, getting themselves mucked up, so to speak, then I think Shenandoah is a good beginner area. My son disliked backpackng and doing the trail with me. I took him to Shenandoah to experience it and some of trail life, and he loved it. And eventually he did the entire trail the following year. So it depends on the person. But you are also out there to have fun, not make it a trial either. You want them to go back again (I'm assuming). So have some fun.

Anyway, real wilderness isn't really experienced until you get to NH and ME, IMO. The AT is really a social trail, not tried and true wilderness. Plenty of hot dogs and sodas everywhere, honestly. But it's great all the same. I love it.