PDA

View Full Version : Jetboil

Stir Fry
01-18-2009, 18:24
Anyone have any exp. with cutting down a jetboil. I just got one and it seems kind of tall. The most water I need to boil at once is about 16 oz. I like the system, not th pot size.

wrongway_08
01-18-2009, 18:44
If you want to cut, just use a hacksaw and cut it. No big deal.

No problems besides you wont be able to fit the smal fuel canister and stove in the pot as a single unit anymore

Stir Fry
01-18-2009, 18:51
If you want to cut, just use a hacksaw and cut it. No big deal.

No problems besides you wont be able to fit the smal fuel canister and stove in the pot as a single unit anymore
Is that why its the size it is?

buckwheat
01-19-2009, 05:54
Is that why its the size it is?

I have one of these, and having read the manual, I can tell you that there are several reasons why the JetBoil cup is the size that it is, starting with safety.

If you fill the Jetboil to capacity (to its fill line) and then bring your water to a roiling boil for one minute to, for example, kill bacteria ... you will quickly discover why it's as tall as it is. You need that height to ensure that no boiling liquids come over the top. Also ... you are going to be cooking food inside the cup (such as noodles, etc.) You need the extra cup height to fit both water, and food, into the cup for cooking.

Before cutting down your JetBoil, I suggest you try to cook a cup of shells & cheese in it. You'll quickly see why you need that extra space.

Secondarily, the JetBoil cup was designed specifically to contain all of its constituent parts, and its fuel canister, inside the cup, sealed with the lid for travelling. It's the perfect size for that. If you take a look at your .pdf manual you'll see how to pack it up and how everything is designed to fit inside. If you cut it down, you'll just be then searching for a place to store everything. Not worth the few ozs. you'll save.

Incidently, the JetBoil canister is the size that it is also so that it will fit into the bottom of the cup. The result is that it is 3.5 oz, where most other canister stoves use 4.0 oz. fuel canisters.

Cheers,
Buckwheat

4eyedbuzzard
01-19-2009, 08:10
I doubt you'll save even an ounce cutting it down. The pot is aluminum and there isn't much mass to be lost cutting it down.
And given that you still have to carry the stove and fuel canister, you aren't saving any pack space by getting rid of the upper half of the pot. The packed dimensions of the overall system remain pretty much the same whether you cut down the pot or not.

mudhead
01-19-2009, 08:34
I tried filling it to about an inch from the top of the pot. Didn't work well.

Summit
01-19-2009, 09:39
Only when I make coffee do I fill my Jetboil over the 2 cup line. I just lay the lid loosely on top and watch it closely to make sure the moment it begins to boil I turn down the flame 'til I get a low rolling boil for a minute or two. Never had a problem with this. You could cook with content overfill, but it does require extremely close supervision and reducing the flame to get a simmer. Best probably to stick with the manufacturer recommendations! :)

snowhoe
01-19-2009, 10:04
Are you worried about the height or the weight?

Ekul
01-19-2009, 10:30
I agree dont burn yourself in the middle of nowhere!

dradius
01-19-2009, 11:25
I like the system, not th pot size.

If you like the stove/canister setup but not the mug, you can sell the mug by itself for at least $20, then buy the pot stabilizer which will allow you to use whatever pot you want with the jetboil stove/gas. I think at that point though I'd just go with a pocket rocket, but whatever works for you.