PDA

View Full Version : PA hike

coolnessisuncool
01-18-2009, 18:32
Im planning a short hike in april for the first time for a "practice run" for a longer hike i plan on doing later in the year. im pretty new to this but very interested and willing. Im going to start at Pine Grove Furnace in PA and just hike north for about 9 days. Any info or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Cookerhiker
01-18-2009, 18:50
:welcomeWelcome to WhiteBlaze. April is a very rewarding time to hike. Of course, you may have some rain but otherwise, you should see wildflowers and enjoy views from the ridgetops since the leaf canopy will just be emerging.

If you hike 10 miles per day, your hike will end at Rt. 501. 12 miles per day will take you to Port Clinton. I don't know how hard set you are at starting at Pine Grove Furnace SP. If you start at Caledonia on Rt. 30, you'll find a long pleasant and easy stretch all the way to Pine Grove Furnace after the initial ascent in first few miles.

You'll hike through Duncannon where Trail Angel Mary can help you if needed. She's a big AT hiker fan and truly lives up to her name. She's also a WB member.

9 days is a lot of food to carry. Are you going to resupply? If so, Duncannon is a good place to do so. A useful resource is the ALDHA Companion. Here's the section covering Pennsylvania (http://www.aldha.org/companyn/wv-pa08.pdf).

Have a great hike!

Yahtzee
01-18-2009, 18:52
Just off the top off my head. Resupply may be difficult along this stretch. Duncannon, Port Clinton, Palmerton, all require a short trip to get to food.

Pine Grove to Duncannon is fairly easy. Great stretch to get your trail legs. Even the stretch from Duncannon to Swatara Water Gap is fairly forgiving. Just a couple of ups, mostly flat and not too much rock. That would take up your first 80 miles.

Convenient stopping pts would be :
Pine Grove, Pa -- 91 miles 10.1 miles/day or
Port Clinton, Pa -- 115 miles 12.8 miles/day.

Anything beyond that your probably pushing it for your first big trip. All in all, a real good section to get your feet wet. Just gonna have to work a little to resupply. You don't want to have to carry 9 days worth of food.

ki0eh
01-18-2009, 20:02
I'm sure Y knows the difference - but Pine Grove Furnace and Pine Grove are two different places, and one might reasonably be confused by the above post which is otherwise good info.

If I read it right "Pine Grove" is really Pine Grove Furnace in the 2nd graf, and "Pine Grove" in the 3rd graf is PA 501 near the Borough of Pine Grove.

Cookerhiker
01-18-2009, 20:14
I'm sure Y knows the difference - but Pine Grove Furnace and Pine Grove are two different places, and one might reasonably be confused by the above post which is otherwise good info.

If I read it right "Pine Grove" is really Pine Grove Furnace in the 2nd graf, and "Pine Grove" in the 3rd graf is PA 501 near the Borough of Pine Grove.

Thanks for pointing that out - I should have said "Pine Grove Furnace" in my posting which I will now do using the editing feature.

Hoop Time
01-19-2009, 00:53
Just off the top off my head. Resupply may be difficult along this stretch. Duncannon, Port Clinton, Palmerton, all require a short trip to get to food.

. . . Just gonna have to work a little to resupply. You don't want to have to carry 9 days worth of food.

The store in Duncannon is a little out of town, but offers a free shuttle from the Doyle

coolnessisuncool
01-19-2009, 17:47
Thanks! i will keep all of this in mind and keep my options open for different starting and ending locations for now.