PDA

View Full Version : Waterproofing Boots?

bustedchucks
01-19-2009, 11:03
I have a pair of Columbia Titanium (Icebreakers?) that I bought a couple of years ago at an outlet. They are heavy monsters and so only see use in the winter. Last year they were fine, but this year they are all sorts of not waterproof. Whats gives? They sat in a closet over the year and only have probably ~100 miles on them with very little signs of wear. Tread is fine, no seams fraying, upper looks good. They have a tag they says "waterproof", but apparently thats no longer the case.

http://www.columbia.com/Product/5/Footwear/51020/ColdWeather/9409/Titanium-Bugaboot-XTM-Omni-Tech.aspx

That is not the boot, but is similar in design, with the rubber lower and leather upper.

Any ideas? nikwax or something similar worth a try?

JAK
01-19-2009, 12:06
I use a beeswax type sealer on my leather boots.
I dry them out and heat them up in the furnace before applying it.
I think I am supposed to use leather soap also now and then. Not sure.

Are they leather? If so, seal them. If not, maybe seal them anyway.

bigmac_in
01-19-2009, 12:30
If you want waterproof, get rubber boots. Otherwise, nothing is truely "waterproof".

ChinMusic
01-19-2009, 13:07
If you want waterproof, get rubber boots. Otherwise, nothing is truely "waterproof".

IMO it is MORE important to know how fast a shoe/boot dries out rather than it waterproofness.

bkrownd
01-21-2009, 21:08
IMO it is MORE important to know how fast a shoe/boot dries out rather than it waterproofness.

That would depend entirely on the situation you're headed into.

ChinMusic
01-21-2009, 21:59
That would depend entirely on the situation you're headed into.
You're right.

For a dayhike I would value the waterproofness.
For an extended trip I would value the drying ability.

c.coyle
01-31-2009, 15:49
I use a beeswax type sealer on my leather boots.
I dry them out and heat them up in the furnace before applying it.
I think I am supposed to use leather soap also now and then. Not sure.

Are they leather? If so, seal them. If not, maybe seal them anyway.

Yep. Been using Sno-Seal (http://www.atsko.com/products/waterproofing/sno-seal.html) for a long, long time. I rub it on and heat it up with a hair dryer.

brotheral
01-31-2009, 16:48
I took a look at this boot. I'm assuming this has a waterproof membrane. If you haven't punctured it, I'd contact their customer service dep't & see what they'll do for you... :-?

Summit
01-31-2009, 18:30
If your boot is suede uppers, forget the suggestions to seal with sno-seal or whatever - not good for suede. I would second the suggestion that if the membrane is leaking, see about getting Columbia or the store to refund your money. Then go buy a non-Columbia boot or better yet, a trail runner shoe. I like Columbia clothes, but shoes . . . nah! You can do better.

Mooselook Marty
01-31-2009, 20:31
I had the Columbia Ice Dragons and had the same problem after a year or so. There was no waterproof membrane. I contacted Columbia, but they would not do a return and recommended Nikwax or Sno Seal. I used the Sno Seal and it definitely keeps them waterproof, but I think whatever breathability existed is now gone. My feet sweat profusely in them unless it is very cold. Maybe Nikwax would have worked better.

I have primarily switched to Salomon B52s for winter hiking (White Mts. and Maine). They are lightweight, breathe pretty well, comfortable, waterproof so far and nearly as warm as the Columbias. They also work well with snowshoes and flexible crampons. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Marty

Richard Snider
01-31-2009, 23:23
I feel Nikwax and SnoSeal are about equally good. I do use Nikwax and have used SnoSeal. Nikwax is easier to apply as it sponges on out of the bottle and then brush of the excess with a shoe-shine brush.

SnoSeal is more labor intensive but still not a that hard to apply and bakes on/in well with a hairdryer. It is probably more durable than Nikwax also. I do know that people who use boots for work (Generally harsher conditions than hiking/backpacking) tend to prefer SnoSeal over Nikwax.

I wear all leather boots and my feet have never been wet in those & I have been in a lot of water and snow.
A boot that is at least partially fabric will still leak even with the best of water proof liners or topical water proofing. I think the out boot material and weather/trail conditions has more to do with water proofness than anything else.