PDA

View Full Version : Bald Mountain Trail, St. Mary's Wilderness

Frau
01-19-2009, 11:14
We took this nice little trail off the BRP, into the St. Mary's Wilderness yesterday. The trail head is a few miles north of the Rt. 56 intersection with BRP. The trail doesn't appear to be used much. It descends easily to a creek where there are two nice camping spots. The up hil portion, to the Bald Mt. Jeep Trail is short but fairly steep and would be difficult to follow had some kind soul not marked it with neon tape. There is MUCH gypsy moth damaged blow down and the trail has been moved (and not well done) around several tree tangles. This is a nice exercise hike, though, of about 4 miles. It was an enjoyable few hours out in the cold.

Frau

jlb2012
01-19-2009, 19:17
that's too bad about the blow down - I used to cut the blow down on that trail - too bad my shoulder no longer lets me do that type of work anymore - I started cutting somewhere around 2002 when I had a lot of trouble backpacking that trail with Baume66 due to all the blow down - for several years I kept it clear but I had to give it up

from those two campsites there is another trail that leads down the branch - that trail was never completely clear but there is a nice waterfall at the bottom

Frau
01-20-2009, 07:24
Thanks for the tip about the waterfall. How far down the branch is it? We want to go back and take the trail left from the top the next time.

Frau

jlb2012
01-20-2009, 09:39
Its about a mile down if I remember rightly - let me know when y'all want to hike it and I may be able to meet up and show you the route

If you want to see it from the low end it is possible to walk up stream from where the camping spot with the old mill works is on the river trail - its about 2-300 yards up stream but the brush is very thick right there - easiest is to walk in the stream

Frau
01-21-2009, 07:23
Sounds like a plan. Will do!

and thanks again.

Frau