PDA

View Full Version : Best time to hike?

d2daj86
01-19-2009, 12:52
Hi Im new to this forum, been reading up on things on here and finally decided to register...

I was wondering what month is best to plan a hike on the AT? I plan to start in north east PA, ive gathered all my equipment and information, i just need a good start date. i would like to do it soon so either spring or the begining of summer is fine.

Also if anyone has any experience which direction should i head? north or south? Im taking a week of from work and would be hiking for 7-10 days.

tuswm
01-19-2009, 13:13
well if you want to so it soon the southern end of PA and in to MD would be at lower altitude and milder weather. you could end at harpers ferry about 44 miles south of the PA MD line. Its a nice place to spend a day. Also in my opinion the best view in 200 or so miles of the AT I have done is about 4 miles north of HF right before you descend from the ridge. Its a great river over look and I was just there during the last ice storm. But if you don't have a warm sleeping bag you might wait a few months.

Blissful
01-19-2009, 15:23
By late May it is hot and humid as you head south but buggy and muddy in the north. If you want to go in the summer, I suggest heading north from PA. If you want to go in the spring, head south.

johnnybgood
01-21-2009, 21:08
Wait

johnnybgood
01-21-2009, 21:22
Early May ...no later for lower elevations. South to ....Weaverton cliffs Harpers Ferry

Tin Man
01-21-2009, 21:25
mid-September to mid-October, is by far the best time to hike most sections of the AT, earlier in NH-ME if you don't mind mixing with thru-hikers. my opinion.

A-Train
01-21-2009, 21:38
NE PA is some of the most uninteresting trail on the AT in my opinion. Why start the hike treading on the worst rocks the AT has to offer?

I would either head north from Delaware Water Gap to Bear Mtn or the CT border, or head south from Duncannon or Boiling Springs PA to Harpers Ferry WV.

For either section, I would recommend mid to late May. Still pretty cool, though bring your raincoat!