PDA

View Full Version : Platypus Cleaning

Spider
01-19-2009, 13:38
Yesterday I bought a 2liter platypus water bottle (http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_detail_square.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=8455 24442597246&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302891303). It fits perfectly into the side pockets of my pack and I'm very excited to try it out. It holds more water than my previous water bottles, and is lighter - win-win. My only question is, how do you clean it?

take-a-knee
01-19-2009, 14:29
Yesterday I bought a 2liter platypus water bottle (http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_detail_square.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=8455 24442597246&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302891303). It fits perfectly into the side pockets of my pack and I'm very excited to try it out. It holds more water than my previous water bottles, and is lighter - win-win. My only question is, how do you clean it?

#1, don't get it dirty. That is never put anything but water in it, no gatorade, drink powder etc. If you obey rule #1, a little bleach after each trip should be all you ever need, and that is only if you use some questionable water sources. Leaving a container full on clear water in direct sunlight all day will expose it to enought UV light to kill most bugs.

Spider
01-19-2009, 14:42
I mean like getting it dry to prevent mold.

garlic08
01-19-2009, 14:44
As far as I know and have seen, they don't mold if you have nothing but water in them. I've stored mine wet for months, no problem. Do as Take-a-knee says, it'll be fine.

The Will
01-19-2009, 15:54
I mean like getting it dry to prevent mold.

After each use, I try to shake out as much of the water as possible, then leave the platy by the sink with the cap off. When enough water runs down from the sides and accumulates in the bottom I again pour out what I can and shake out some more. I may have to repeat this process three or more times until the platy, while not completely dry, does not yield enough accumulation in the bottom to pour/shake out. Then it is just a matter of evaporation.

Wise Old Owl
01-19-2009, 15:59
Mine get black mold quite a bit. Even when dried out. I always carry a seperate plastic soda bottle for powdered drinks cus it doesn't weigh anything.

hnryclay
01-19-2009, 16:03
I freeze mine when not in use. I have the hose accessory and I put both the bladder, and the tube in the freezer.

Tennessee Viking
01-19-2009, 17:13
Use either a dash or vinegar or lemon juice to get the plastic taste out. Then usually clean it with a little bleach and soapy water after you store it for long periods of time.

Nearly Normal
01-19-2009, 17:17
A small amount of bleach, rinse and hang upside down in the sun till dry. Won't take long. Rinse again before the next trip.

Smile
01-19-2009, 18:02
I replace my hose/mouthpiece each year. :)

Wise Old Owl
01-19-2009, 18:20
I replace my hose/mouthpiece each year. :)

Smile, if that is what you want to do go ahead, yet Walmart has a cheap tube cleaner in the camping section that really does the job.

Smile
01-19-2009, 18:21
Ok, I could try that this year, thanks for the heads up! Mine just tend to smell a little musty after storing and rinsing with a little bleach, maybe it's the temp I keep them at - perhaps in a colder environment would be better? What do you think? :)

Wise Old Owl
01-19-2009, 19:15
I never noticed - the black brown bacteria just pops up and needs to be cleaned. Boiling without a brush doesn't work.

theinfamousj
01-19-2009, 19:46
If you need a quickie drying rack for a platy bladder, try sticking a chopstick into a glass or mug and putting the platy upside down on the chopstick, so its tiny neck is held up by the chopstick.

Anyone know how much bleach is too much bleach? I've got a Nalgene cantene that has some gross in it.

Panzer1
01-20-2009, 03:03
Here's a camelbak cleaqning kit from amazon.com with everything you need:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=camelbak+cleaning+kit&x=0&y=0

Panzer

mkmangold
01-20-2009, 03:17
Smile, if that is what you want to do go ahead, yet Walmart has a cheap tube cleaner in the camping section that really does the job.

Tie a bunch of single knots in a leather string. Dip in bleach a second or two. Force through the tubing and all of the black stuff (fungi) comes out. Clean leather string in hot water and soap for next use.

optimator
01-20-2009, 03:37
I found a great tip online awhile back on drying bladders pretty quick. Get a small aquarium pump & tubing. Cheap stuff at Walmart. Put the tube into the bladder and turn it on. The recirculating air drys them out pretty fast. But since I've never put anything but water in mine, I usually just rinse it out & throw it in the freezer.

snaplok
01-20-2009, 05:37
I found a great tip online awhile back on drying bladders pretty quick. Get a small aquarium pump & tubing. Cheap stuff at Walmart. Put the tube into the bladder and turn it on. The recirculating air drys them out pretty fast. But since I've never put anything but water in mine, I usually just rinse it out & throw it in the freezer.

I do the same thing with the pump, get one with 2 outtakes or more and you can dry several at the same time.

The correct ratio of bleach is a 10% solution mixed with water. I will kill anything. But another way is to use the chlorine water treatment purifier tablets, but the bleach solution is cheaper.

Downhill Trucker
01-20-2009, 05:41
Been freezing my camelback for five years straight. No mold.