PDA

View Full Version : Any Bouldering

ArDiAcMe
01-19-2009, 14:34
I am planning not necessarily a straight up 'thru' hike, but am starting at Springer and making my way towards Maine with 6 months to kill. I was wondering if anyone knew of any good Bouldering Rocks along the way or in the area of parts of the trail. I am a climbing enthusiast as well as a hiking enthusiast so I thought I might try and combine the two on this hike.

emerald
01-19-2009, 14:45
I don't have the A.T. milepoints, but a fun place I loved when I was a kid is hidden behind hemlocks upstream of Hertlein campsite. It's a sizeable boulder field with a slight incline and a view from the top although not as good as it once was when the trees were shorter. A much bigger boulder field is located at Hickory Run State Park (http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/hickoryrun.aspx).

You'll find plenty of places to play in Pennsylvania in the course of your through hike, more than you will have time and energy to explore. I suggest you be careful where you put your hands. We have venomous snakes here and they do bite if they think someone deserves it.

A Google search of bouldering just turned up all kinds of opportunities if you still desire more.

4eyedbuzzard
01-19-2009, 15:33
You'll have lots of bouldering opportunity in NH and ME all along the trail, especially in the Mahoosucs.

max patch
01-19-2009, 15:43
Supposed to be good bouldering around McAfee Knob in SW VA; I've seen boulderers at the parking area.

Serial 07
01-19-2009, 15:50
bouldering comes and goes...some good climbing in grayson highlands...

weary
01-19-2009, 16:08
You'll have lots of bouldering opportunity in NH and ME all along the trail, especially in the Mahoosucs.
And on Katahdin

emerald
01-19-2009, 17:28
I would think the NOBO climb out of Lehigh Gap would qualify too.

weary
01-19-2009, 19:51
Me too, not exciting bouldering, but certainly bouldering.

Johnny Thunder
01-19-2009, 19:54
The Northern end of the "Roller Coaster" had some cliffs that a bunch of high school summer camps were using. Also, southern PA (before 30) had some rocks worth looking at.

brianos
01-20-2009, 00:40
There's the Sunset Rocks trail over Little Rocky Ridge. Runs parallel to the AT starting just before Tom's Run shelters in PA, or Michaux Rd a mile farther down the AT.

chicote
01-20-2009, 15:20
McAffees Knob... I wish I had my pad and shoes when I went through there. You could spend a week there and have just scratched the surface of problems that exist.

max patch
01-20-2009, 15:36
McAffees Knob... I wish I had my pad and shoes when I went through there. You could spend a week there and have just scratched the surface of problems that exist.

I mentioned McAfees earlier as I have spoken to boulders in the parking area. I don't understand your comment re "problems that exist." Could you explain?

mudhead
01-20-2009, 18:55
Sounds like scrambler lingo for routes.

NativePennsylvanian
01-20-2009, 19:18
95% of people probably don't know it but Table Rock outside of Duncannon, PA is pretty big. You have to climb around under it but its worth checking out. There's a picture in my gallery for reference.

take-a-knee
01-20-2009, 23:14
Sounds like a good way to end a hike early. When you boulder you need a buddy and a crash pad, if you didn't actually need those you were not actually bouldering.

ArDiAcMe
01-20-2009, 23:47
Buddy...Check, Crash Pad....not necessary, I am not looking for anything too too challenging, just something to keep up the passion.

slugger
01-21-2009, 09:31

I don't know how much that is bouldering if you stay on the white blazes. I found by going off bushwackying/blue blazing there you can get some what closer to bouldering along with some cool views.

chicote
01-21-2009, 11:47
I mentioned McAfees earlier as I have spoken to boulders in the parking area. I don't understand your comment re "problems that exist." Could you explain?

Max Patch:

"Problems" as in "Bouldering Problems" or a sequence of moves that one climbs. It's a climbing term. Just like you might have a "route" that you climb. You have a "problem" that you boulder. I hope this helps.

max patch
01-21-2009, 12:08
Max Patch:

"Problems" as in "Bouldering Problems" or a sequence of moves that one climbs. It's a climbing term. Just like you might have a "route" that you climb. You have a "problem" that you boulder. I hope this helps.

Got it; had no idea that "problems" had that definition.

emerald
01-21-2009, 13:45
I don't know how much is bouldering on the white blazes. I found by going off bushwacking/blue blazing you can get somewhat closer to bouldering along with some cool views.

Most A.T. hikers who stick to the white route will find it sufficiently challenging. Others who seek greater thrills won't need to look long or hard. Unecessary risk-taking as was pointed out earlier could interfere with one's completing a through hike. Bouldering without a buddy off of marked trails could result in one's not getting timely medical attention.