PDA

View Full Version : An introduction and questions of a newbie.

AirOutlaw7
01-19-2009, 15:04
Hello Whiteblaze! Im new to the site and only age 16. Ive wanted to go on the Trail for the past 3 years, and just revently found this site.

First, a little about myself I guess. My real name is Kyle, Sophmore in high school. I love rock music, Led Zeppelin is my favorite. If anyone is interested, I can give a youtube video of my band covering Gimme Shelter.

I have 2 people that are coming on the trail with me. Our biggest obsticle though is finding the time to do it. We have to start college the fall right after graduation, and school lets out too late for a NOBO hike(we arnt interested in a SOBO). Weve considered going after college, but that poses the problem of College Gradutation being too late for a NOBO, and there is the potential threat we won't be in contact by then(the 3 of us arnt going to the same colleges most likely).
I had the idea of going after graduation for a section hike over summer, but I would prefer a thru-hike. The section hike has the advantages of being cheaper and if we decided on that, it is more likely to happen.
So please give me your opinions on those options, and answer me this: Howd you get time for a thru hike?

Ill post our gear-list later.

Bearpaw
01-19-2009, 15:09
My advice? Use those summers off to do a few hundred miles at a time. That's what they are there for after all.

If you find you really enjoy doing 4-8 weeks on the trail, then you probably have the right attitude to do a thru-hike after graduation. But if not, you've had a neat experience during one of many summers off. You could very easily section the whole AT over 4 summers and have better weather than those who deal with all the snow of a March thru-hike.

Or you could PM Kirby here, who arranged to finish his junior year early and thru-hike before he started his senior year. His trip was even more impressive for this fact than the usual thru-hike.

Lone Wolf
01-19-2009, 15:12
Hello Whiteblaze! Im new to the site and only age 16. Ive wanted to go on the Trail for the past 3 years, and just revently found this site.

First, a little about myself I guess. My real name is Kyle, Sophmore in high school. I love rock music, Led Zeppelin is my favorite. If anyone is interested, I can give a youtube video of my band covering Gimme Shelter.

I have 2 people that are coming on the trail with me. Our biggest obsticle though is finding the time to do it. We have to start college the fall right after graduation, and school lets out too late for a NOBO hike(we arnt interested in a SOBO). Weve considered going after college, but that poses the problem of College Gradutation being too late for a NOBO, and there is the potential threat we won't be in contact by then(the 3 of us arnt going to the same colleges most likely).
I had the idea of going after graduation for a section hike over summer, but I would prefer a thru-hike. The section hike has the advantages of being cheaper and if we decided on that, it is more likely to happen.
So please give me your opinions on those options, and answer me this: Howd you get time for a thru hike?

put off college for a year. do a SOBO after graduation. what's the rush? seriously? life is very short. have some fun

Blissful
01-19-2009, 15:17
Welcome to White Blaze!!!
You could do it inbetween high school and college. No rush on college unless there is cash problems, which I understand. My son did that. You might be able to work it out with your teachers also to fufill your requirements for hIgh school and then leave in APril for a NOBO. Talk to Kirby about how he took the time to do it in HS.
But if not, a long summer section is a fine way to do the trail and a great adventure.

TheKO
01-19-2009, 15:47
Are schools you are attending on semester or quarterly period? You might be able to scrounge time in for hiking if you are on quarterly cycle. You get a summer of - couple this - with missing a spring and fall quarter and you have your AT time.

Like someone else said - what's the hurry to finish school. Life is to short.

Tell your parents you are going to take some time off to go find yourself and decide what you really want to do in life. I guarantee you don't have a clue right now - you might think you do but you reallly don't.

AirOutlaw7
01-19-2009, 17:50
My school won't let me get out early. Plus my dad has serioes doubts about me doing this at all, so Im gonna have to be 18 to do this.
My parents wont pay for college if I dont go right outta high school.
SOBO hikes are harder, not ideal for a first hike.

As for the over summer thing, A longer hike would be a major preference.

Im much more limited to when by trying to find a time where me and my friends can go. And before someone says anything, they are as serious about going as I am.

Tennessee Viking
01-19-2009, 18:08
What a lot of kids do is thru-hike right after college. A lot of companies are now getting into recognizing people who thru-hiked. Thats one reason why you see a mad rush to Springer in late April and early May. Then the weather is another reaseon. But stick with college, the trail is always going to be here. And you can do section hikes for the summer and your breaks.

Smile
01-19-2009, 18:10
Whatever you plan - it will be a wonderful learning experience at your age! Go for and have a great hike :)

(I also suggest reading Kirby's trailjournal from 08, great read!)

Lone Wolf
01-19-2009, 18:17
My school won't let me get out early. Plus my dad has serioes doubts about me doing this at all, so Im gonna have to be 18 to do this.
SOBO hikes are harder, not ideal for a first hike.

As for the over summer thing, A longer hike would be a major preference.

Im much more limited to when by trying to find a time where me and my friends can go. And before someone says anything, they are as serious about going as I am.

time to go against your parents wishes. it's YOUR life. don't let them hold you hostage with tuition

Rockhound
01-19-2009, 18:18
You can put college off a year as LW suggested. Then you will be able to include your AT experience on your applications. For a teenager to accomplish such a huge undertaking will certainly stand out and impress any review board. It shows maturity, responsibility and determination that few your age have. An other option is to hike to Harpers Ferry before you begin classes in the fall and then knock out the northern 1/2 next summer.

AirOutlaw7
01-19-2009, 18:27
After college would be great, just the matter of
When does a year of college usually end? Same time as high school? it would be a mad rush to springer for a thru hike then.

Nice tip Lone wolf, but that leaves me paying for college.

coolnessisuncool
01-19-2009, 18:32
Hey! im in a similar situation. im 17 and am planning a "practice" hike for about a week in PA in early april for a longer expedition in the summer. i would deffinetly suggest doing some section hikes during breaks and summer vacation. good luck!

Lone Wolf
01-19-2009, 18:35

plenty of people work and pay for their own college. apply for grants and scholarships, etc. join the military for a stint.

AirOutlaw7
01-19-2009, 18:49
I applied to a Career Technical Center near my school, for their ARJROTC program.

Im likely to end up doing a section after graduation with my buddies, then attempting to do a thru hike later on in life. I just dont know how im gonna set aside 6 months to do so.

johnnybgood
01-19-2009, 18:49
Need to listen to your instincts. Go hikin' my son .

sleeman13
01-19-2009, 20:01
i just graduated this past year for high school. i've been working during the fall and winter and am leaving in march from springer to thru-hike. this has worked out well because i've been able to earn money for my hike.

if this is something you really want to do, just do it. your 18. your parents don't have control over you anymore.

Kanati
01-19-2009, 20:18
Lone Wolf you're givin a 16 year old some bad advice. He's 16 and a sophmmore in HS. If he and his friends have good parents who want them to get a good education and are willing to pay for it, then that's what they need to be focusing on and hiking in the during spring break and summer months. This country is not run by "drunken bums...." It's run by, well I won't go there.

AirOutlaw7, hiking is a hobby, not a vocation. The best time in your life to do a thru-hike is the day after you graduate college!!!!, or in some cases, the day after you graduate high school.

Happy hiking. :sun

Lone Wolf
01-19-2009, 20:22
Lone Wolf you're givin a 16 year old some bad advice. He's 16 and a sophmmore in HS. If he and his friends have good parents who want them to get a good education and are willing to pay for it, then that's what they need to be focusing on and hiking in the during spring break and summer months. This country is not run by "drunken bums...." It's run by, well I won't go there.

AirOutlaw7, hiking is a hobby, not a vocation. The best time in your life to do a thru-hike is the day after you graduate college!!!!, or in some cases, the day after you graduate high school.

sure. whatever you say. although threatening cutting off funds for one year cuz a kid wants to have a little fun ain't good parenting

the_black_spot
01-19-2009, 20:32
When does a year of college usually end? Same time as high school? it would be a mad rush to springer for a thru hike then.

i graduated college may 5th, 2008. i am leaving this march for my thru.

someone in their twenties can begin a nobo in early may. it is cutting it close, but very doable, no worries about cold.

or just do what i am doing. get a temporary job and stack some cash. go the following march.

probably write off the possibility of all three buddies coming along. they can do their own hikes then ya'll can share stories.

KG4FAM
01-19-2009, 21:40
It sounds like you are really not interested in thru hiking. Sounds more like you are more interested in careers and jobs and a professional life. If you are really interested in thru hiking you will have to make the time, you cant do both. Somewhere in there you will have to put everything else on hold to do it. If you can't do that you will have to settle for section hiking.

Bearpaw
01-19-2009, 21:54
This country is not run by "drunken bums...."

"On both ends of the economic spectrum, there is a liesure class..."

Usually the "drunken bums" have more fun. :banana

And the one you seem to be making suggestions about has probably never "bummed" anything off any one else, while I KNOW he's helped out countless other hikers.

AirOutlaw, I still stand by the idea of doing a long section over summer first. That way you don't blow off college for a year only to discover after 2 or 3 weeks on trail that a long-distance hike isn't what you thought it would be. See if you can arrange to do 200 miles over a summer while you're still in high school. It will be a great experience, even if you decide a full thru-hike isn't for you.

As for me and how I managed a thru-hike, I went to college, served about 6 years in the Marine Corps, got out debt-free, single, and with money in the bank. At 28, I decided I'd earned some early retirement. There's not necessarily a "magic age". If you truly want it, it will happen.

theinfamousj
01-19-2009, 22:15
If your high school is like the one I teach at, you end your classes in early June. Perfect for summer section/shakedown hikes. In fact, between your sophomore year summer and your graduation from college, your buddies could section the entire AT. I know you want to thru-hike, but this would be a great way to keep in touch with an annual summer reunion until such time as you can complete the thru-hike of your dreams.

superman
01-19-2009, 22:17
I applied to a Career Technical Center near my school, for their ARJROTC program.

Im likely to end up doing a section after graduation with my buddies, then attempting to do a thru hike later on in life. I just dont know how im gonna set aside 6 months to do so.

You have too much conflict in your life. Think how peaceful it would be to joint the corps and request 0311.

Gecko
01-19-2009, 22:36
Hey AirOutlaw-
I have the same problem (basically.) I'm seventeen, and I've wanted to thru-hike since I was 13. Things were looking pretty grim for me, especially since my dad doesn't want me to hike alone (I'm a girl). Obviously, once I'm eighteen he can't really do anything about that. I've been trying to figure out how to pull of a hike during college for a few years, and my basic plan as of now is to take a semester off of college some year, probably my sophomore or junior year. It's a bit of a wait, but I figure if I take extra credits first couple years of college, I could take a semester off with no harm done. If I can't, well, I'll probably just wait until after college to thru, and do long shakedown sections during the summers. The trail will always wait for you, you know.
Good luck with your thru!
Gecko

Berserker
01-20-2009, 13:56
My advice? Use those summers off to do a few hundred miles at a time. That's what they are there for after all.

If you find you really enjoy doing 4-8 weeks on the trail, then you probably have the right attitude to do a thru-hike after graduation. But if not, you've had a neat experience during one of many summers off. You could very easily section the whole AT over 4 summers and have better weather than those who deal with all the snow of a March thru-hike.

This is the best advice I have seen here thus far. Since you don't mention your experience level I will assume you are a novice hiker. Go out there for a couple of weeks and hike. Then you'll see if it's really something you want to invest a lot of time in or not. If you're not a novice, then disregard the last statement.

Also realize that you are young and things are going to be constantly changing for you over the next few years. I know when I went off to college things changed drastically from semester to semester. I probably could have taken a semester off and squeezed in a thru, but I was not into hiking back then (thus why I section hike now...I'm don't have the time with a full time job and a family). Anyway, I'm all for the summer section, and then taking things from there. So that's my 2 cents.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Kanati
01-20-2009, 14:35
Bearpaw, I am sure you are right about LW. All of his postings up until this one have been right on the money. Frankly I was surprised and taken back by his suggesting a 16 year should disregard his parents wishes and live is own life. As a father of 3 sons now in their 30's, I can tell you that at 16 they fell short of maturity in many ways, none of which were physical. Not saying that all 16 years are the same, just saying that 98% of them need good help to move in adulthood well adjusted. They need good role models.

If it sounded as though I though LW fit into the category of durnken bums then that may have been the wrong choice of words. The thing that prompted that statement is the quote which appears at the bottom of most of his posting. That's what I was eluding to.

Lone Wolf
01-20-2009, 14:55
Bearpaw, I am sure you are right about LW. All of his postings up until this one have been right on the money. Frankly I was surprised and taken back by his suggesting a 16 year should disregard his parents wishes and live is own life. As a father of 3 sons now in their 30's, I can tell you that at 16 they fell short of maturity in many ways, none of which were physical. Not saying that all 16 years are the same, just saying that 98% of them need good help to move in adulthood well adjusted. They need good role models.

That's what I was eluding to.

delaying college for one year will in no way hurt his adjustment into adulthood. for a parent to threaten witholding tuition money if the kid doesn't immediately go to college right after high school, is BS.

you mean alluding

KG4FAM
01-20-2009, 15:13
Not saying that all 16 years are the same, just saying that 98% of them need good help to move in adulthood well adjusted. They need good role models.Trail folks are not good role models?

Blissful
01-20-2009, 15:21

There's no problem wth you paying for your education. I did. Got a job summers. You shouldn't expect them to pay for it anyway. Like everything you need to plan what yu want to do and how you will do it. LW has some good suggestions for paying for your education.

And there is also timing. Maybe right after high school isn't the right time to do it. Things to think about in the whole scheme of things. But parents do have wisdom also and to disregard counsel is not wise either. Time can change minds too. So don't count your parents out. Get them involved with hiking. Show them your interest and passion for it. Take some father /son trips. There are ways to go about this without alienating your family.

And as for some of you others - telling a 16 yr old at this stage in his life to flagrantly rebel against his parents is not wisdom at all. He ain't an adult, nor is he one at age 18 either (believe you me). And obviously his parents care about him and want what is best for him in thier eyes.

Lone Wolf
01-20-2009, 15:26
He ain't an adult, nor is he one at age 18 either (believe you me). And obviously his parents care about him and want what is best for him in thier eyes.
i guess you never had an 18 year old in the Marine Corps

Blissful
01-20-2009, 15:27
Trail folks are not good role models?

No, some are not when they are smoking pot and getting drunk and everything else out there. My 16 yr old was offered joints and drinks several times on the trail or in trail towns. Most out there are only interested in their hike.

But there were a few out there who were super. Took him under his wing. Taught him. Befriended him. Gave him his trail name. And for those, I am grateful.

Blissful
01-20-2009, 15:28
i guess you never had an 18 year old in the Marine Corps

I told PB he should join the military. I think he needs the discipline badly. He's had a tough time since he got off the trail. Not adapting to adulthood very well.
My 20 yr old nephew is in the army right now and just got married to boot - talk about entering the wide cruel world quick. He goes to Afghanistan next month, on the front lines.

KG4FAM
01-20-2009, 15:43
No, some are not when they are smoking pot and getting drunk and everything else out there. My 16 yr old was offered joints and drinks several times on the trail or in trail towns. Most out there are only interested in their hike.

But there were a few out there who were super. Took him under his wing. Taught him. Befriended him. Gave him his trail name. And for those, I am grateful.
Its just as easy to get weed and underage booze at college. Either way the parents are not there and the kid is going to do what they want.

Berserker
01-20-2009, 15:55
And there is also timing. Maybe right after high school isn't the right time to do it. Things to think about in the whole scheme of things. But parents do have wisdom also and to disregard counsel is not wise either. Time can change minds too. So don't count your parents out. Get them involved with hiking. Show them your interest and passion for it. Take some father /son trips. There are ways to go about this without alienating your family.

And as for some of you others - telling a 16 yr old at this stage in his life to flagrantly rebel against his parents is not wisdom at all. He ain't an adult, nor is he one at age 18 either (believe you me). And obviously his parents care about him and want what is best for him in thier eyes.

Agreed. AirOutlaw7, do whatever you feel is best, but realize that you are 16 years old. I don’t mean that in a derogatory way, but I was an idiot (read: extremely immature) when I was 16. You might be the most mature 16 year old ever…I don’t know.

At any rate, as someone that graduated from college with a degree where my parents helped fund my way through, I am extremely grateful for what they did. So if you have that opportunity, and you really want to go to college then jump on it. I have plenty of college buds that had huge loans they had to pay off for years after they graduated. Sure paying your own way through school builds character (and in retrospect that would have been good for me at the time), but there’s also nothing wrong with taking advantage of a good opportunity.

Blissful offers other good advice on getting your parents interested in hiking if they aren’t already. That may help open another opportunity for you to do the AT with their approval.

So there’s another 2 cents worth…I guess I am up to 4 cents now.

Highpointbound
01-20-2009, 20:18
Airwolf...I suppose my views may be in the minority here also. Thru hikers may be a different "sort" of folks. This is why you are getting so many " just go hike and put college off" answers. I can appreciate the fact that the type of folks who thru hike might be just a bit more "carefree" about things. That kind of "live life for the day" attitude. Which, in moderation, is fine, and something I admire to a certain extent or else I wouldn't be on this board.

However, welcome to the real world. In the REAL world, you will not be thru hiking your way through life. In the REAL world, getting a good education and lining yourself up for a career that you will prosper in and be happy with is going to mean a hell of a lot.
I cringe at the fact that someone may feel that parents who STRONGLY want their 16....16...(not 27) 16 year old son to go to college is a result of bad parenting simply because they throw in the jab about not paying for it if the kid doesnt go right away. I would do everything I could to convince my kid to get an education FIRST also, because THAT is what is going to count. The trails are NOT going anywhere. BUT..your parents financial situation, death, or other unforeseen tragedy could strike. Times are hard now adays. Grab the opportunity for college while you can. The trails are not going anywhere!!!!!

Perhaps do some section hiking while you are in college to get the feel of it. Then, after you graduate, give the thru hike to yourself as a graduation gift. What a great way to start off your entry into the real world after graduation, with a tough, long, soul searching thru hike. I mean, dress it up however you like if that's what it takes.:p

Listen, we are just people on a message board. We are not the ones who feed you, love you, and put a roof over your head. You may think your parents tactics of trying to get you to go to college as soon as you graduate is "mean", but it sounds like they only want the best for you.

Get your education, then go hike all over the world if you want. Whatever you choose to do, I wish you good luck.

Wise Old Owl
01-20-2009, 20:50
ohh, Nobody mentioned he can do both! Didn't someone mention doing the AT in three sections? College in the winters, Hiking the summers! No harm done there, except you have to agree with LW and Bearpaw at the same time.....They can both be right at the same time. Oh thats a stretch....:eek:

A7 you are NOT going to college to make parents happy, You are going to college because a high school education isn't enough today to open doors to make you happy, don't worry what your parents think. Find out what matters to you! I have met successful people who didn't go to college and started their own businesses. One of them was my barber he earned enough to keep two women happy at $70k annual (his wife and his mistress). I doubt anyone can duplicate what he did. These are different times, you need to prove to yourself you can do things without what your dad thinks.

shelterbuilder
01-20-2009, 20:57

I'm surprised that no one has suggested this: go to college (and do section hikes when you can), but while you're in college, try to take an extra course every semester (or maybe summer classes), so that you're finished with your classes in December/January of your senior year. THEN, start your NOBO at the "regular" time of year.

That will satisfy your parents as far as getting your education, AND it will show them that you're serious enough about the thru-hike to make an extra-ordinary commitment in order to make it happen. (It will also give you enough time to get enough money in the bank to be able to complete a thru!)

Wise Old Owl
01-20-2009, 21:06
sure. whatever you say. although threatening cutting off funds for one year cuz a kid wants to have a little fun ain't good parenting

Parents are the voice of safety & conservatism. Withholding funds is not a sign of bad parenting, its a tool to change attitude & poor behavior. LW if your son came home with a $1000 cell phone bill, you would expect him to repay it. The neat part is as a parent I can change my mind and reoffer the college money next year.

Linesman
01-20-2009, 22:29
Sup fellow 16 year old. I'm thinking about taking a year off between high school and college to do a thru. The only thing I can suggest to you is that if you complete the hike then I'm sure your parents would be proud enough of you to pay your way though college. I of coarse don't know your parents personally...

Spider
01-20-2009, 23:34
Dude. I'm in the exact same position as you. Only I'm a Junior.

Bare Bear
01-20-2009, 23:40
What wouldbe wrong with TALKING to your parents more about this? If they see you are serious then it would make sense to me for you to go do a summer half thru from Springer to Harpers Ferry then talk again about college. I would have actually preferred that my kid hike first as it would help focus what is really important from what we think is important before we go. My kid changed majors five times and took eight years to get to degrees. Perhaps some more thinking time before hand would have helped? Whatever you end up doing, do it well, and take the time to enjoy it.

Big Suave
01-21-2009, 01:08
You could always work for a company for 10 years out of your 33 year old life, get laid off, empty your retirement, and then do a thru. That's what I'm doing. Look, I'm 33 and my father still has a problem with me doing a thru and not just licking my wounds and going to get another job after being laid off. It's not a parents predisposition to hold money over your head for wanting to do a hike, it's that type of parent specifically. My stepmother thinks it's amazing that I want to thru, but my own flesh in blood's response when I told him I was going to thru was "so you're going to be homeless?" Look dude, you could SOBO after graduation only taking your first semester off. After making that kind of committment and following through with something like that if your parents aren't impressed with that and still don't decide to pay for your college then they've got issues!! I finally went back to college in my 20's when I was paying for it and only then did I take it seriously, get to class on time, and manage to achieve A's somehow even with a fulltime job(part time school). Just follow your heart. I know it's cliche and cheesy, but at the end of the day brotha, it's what's real!

By the way, FYI, you can't use the word "DOUCHER" when responding to a smart -ss on here or it will be deleted. ***???

Big Suave
01-21-2009, 01:11
I guess you can't use w---t---f either.

slugger
01-21-2009, 09:55
Life doesn't always give you the time you want... I know I have wanted to hike since High school, now that I'm in college I'm pushing things aside to make it happen.
"MOST" colleges graduate early enough that you have time for a NOBO hike right after as long as you plan to leave after you graduate. I know my college(Drexel) doesn't graduate until June so I have two choices either SOBO that summer or a NOBO the next year. I know I would rather NOBO so I plan on taking a temp job after college or if I find a place I like I will request a leave of absence and do my NOBO the next spring, if they tell me no then I plan to leave them. There are plenty of good jobs out there.

If you want it bad enough you can find the time to do it. No one ever said you need to start your career right after you graduate college. Take a year for your self. It might be the last one you take for a wile...

As for your friends not being in contact at the end of college. If they want to come as bad as you they will find you or stay in contact. Hike for your self, if they don't come you will meet more then enough good friends on the trail...

I know it's on someone signature here on WB but I'm going to steal it for a second....
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do." - Mark Twain

Slugger.

TrippinBTM
01-21-2009, 10:34
Parents are the voice of safety & conservatism. Withholding funds is not a sign of bad parenting, its a tool to change attitude & poor behavior.

Some people might have a name for that kind of thing, such as "coersion" or "blackmail." I mean, is wanting to live one's own life really a bad attitude? Is doing a thru-hike necessarily poor behavior?

Anyways, I agree with a lot of people here. Air, you should finish college first. You clearly want to, and have plans for it. You have parents willing to pay for it. You also have some friends that would want to do section hikes with you, which as you said is the more likely-to-happen situation.

Every indication points to doing some long sections. Plus, when you get out of college or to a place in life that you can make the time for a thru, you'll know whether or not it's something you really want to do, without having the worry about how to pay for college and avoid alienating your parents (who, trust me, you'll appreciate a lot more in a few years).

Lone Wolf
01-21-2009, 10:54
serve your country, join the military before anything

Bumshandler
01-21-2009, 11:07
As I see it, there are two themes in play here: 1) how much influence should parents have on their 16 yr old and 2) Priority. Should one put off college to go on a thru-hike or should one 'follow one's dream' of thru-hiking and then go to college (also a goal in the case of A7).

In general, blanket statements are inappropriate. That said, the issue with MANY (but not all) 16 year olds is not that they don't anything, but rather that they think they know EVERYTHING. They don't. The job, and tricky part of being a parent is to let your kids make mistakes from which they can learn, but not make critical, life-threatening mistakes. Too far either way and the kid will suffer.

As far as advice on the hike goes, I think Shelterbuilder is on the money. Take your required graduation credit requirements and divide them by 7 instead of 8. Then take that many credits, either each semester, or include a summer class or two, and you'll graduate in December. An added benefit here is that it'll save your dad a semester's worth of tuition, room and board (provided you don't get charged for taking add'l credits). The savings might prompt your dad to provide some of your gear as a Christmas present for saving him all that money.

Mother's Finest
01-21-2009, 13:03
Blissfull, Tell PB to try one of those joints---it is not going to hurt him. I promise.

This is coming from a 36 year old business owner. It does not automatically equal trouble.

As to the original poster I think the best thing to do is go for a hike for a week. or maybe two. if you love it, then......

follow Lone Wolf's advise. your life will be there after your hike. you will be able to go to college. heck, I bet your parents will even still help you.

but test the water first. the first time I walked on the trail with a full pack I said to myself holy mackeral this is as hard as lacrosse practice.

peace
mf

JAK
01-21-2009, 13:06
As I see it, there are two themes in play here: 1) how much influence should parents have on their 16 yr old and 2) Priority. Should one put off college to go on a thru-hike or should one 'follow one's dream' of thru-hiking and then go to college (also a goal in the case of A7).3) how much influence should internet forum posters have on someone elses 16 yr old. lol ;)

Rockhound
01-21-2009, 14:06
There are plenty of high school drop outs that are millionaires and plenty of college grads flipping burgers. A degree is no guarantee of financial security especially in this economy. This is not to say that you should forget about college. I just feel that many people put a greater importance on this than is warranted. I feel putting off college for a year now is not the end of the world. Not only would you be able to thru-hike, you would also be able to save a little more money to offset the costs of tuition, housing, books etc...

BitBucket
01-21-2009, 14:17
Why not do both - start college and a thru. Your college may let you take some of your "elective" courses your first semester. If you take these as self-study courses, you can tie them to your thru-hike and get college credit for it (maybe a biology course, geology course, forestry course, etc). Depending on what you plan to study and where you plan to go, it's relatively easy these days to do a number of your courses as self-study. You'd probably have to keep a good journal/notes and take a lot of pictures along the way.

My son got 12 hrs college credit while he toured South America a few years back.

Think outside the box, it doesn't have to be an either/or. If you can arrange this it would take care of your parents concerns at the same time..

Good luck and have fun...Like LW said, you're life is just beginning. Enjoy it while you can.

Kanati
01-21-2009, 15:46
I went back an reread Outlaw7's intro and question for a Newbie and his other comments. He is a very bright guy. When the time comes he'll do the right thing for himself and his parents. I just he hasn't gotten confused by reading all this stuff.

Good luck Outlaw7 and happy hiking. :sun

Highpointbound
01-22-2009, 19:56
I suppose there ARE college grads that are flipping burgers for a living, and high school drop outs that are millionares. Drop out of school Airwolf and then tell me in 10 years how that worked for ya. LOL

Hey, we can all agree to disagree. One thing i will add is that getting an education is NOT about your parents. It's about YOU. It's about having MORE of an opportunity to have a good career and live a stable life and perhaps be able to afford all the toys and trips and hikes yout want to take. I just feel that getting an education is more important to get out of the way first than doing some hike that you may not even be able to finsh when you start it. Stuff happens on the trail.

I also think going to college and doing section hiking at the same time is a good compromise. I actually like that compromise very much.
Anyway, you've got time to decide so...good luck.:)

AirOutlaw7
01-25-2009, 00:21
Wow, ive started quite a controversy here, havent I? Sorry but i simply cant reply to everything everyone has said, would take too long. I apperciate all the input though.

It sounds like you are really not interested in thru hiking. Sounds more like you are more interested in careers and jobs and a professional life. If you are really interested in thru hiking you will have to make the time, you cant do both. Somewhere in there you will have to put everything else on hold to do it. If you can't do that you will have to settle for section hiking.

so what it sounds like your telling me is that to fufill my lifes dream i have to settle on a crappy dead end job.

Airwolf...I suppose my views may be in the minority here also. Thru hikers may be a different "sort" of folks. This is why you are getting so many " just go hike and put college off" answers. I can appreciate the fact that the type of folks who thru hike might be just a bit more "carefree" about things. That kind of "live life for the day" attitude. Which, in moderation, is fine, and something I admire to a certain extent or else I wouldn't be on this board.

However, welcome to the real world. In the REAL world, you will not be thru hiking your way through life. In the REAL world, getting a good education and lining yourself up for a career that you will prosper in and be happy with is going to mean a hell of a lot.
I cringe at the fact that someone may feel that parents who STRONGLY want their 16....16...(not 27) 16 year old son to go to college is a result of bad parenting simply because they throw in the jab about not paying for it if the kid doesnt go right away. I would do everything I could to convince my kid to get an education FIRST also, because THAT is what is going to count. The trails are NOT going anywhere. BUT..your parents financial situation, death, or other unforeseen tragedy could strike. Times are hard now adays. Grab the opportunity for college while you can. The trails are not going anywhere!!!!!

Perhaps do some section hiking while you are in college to get the feel of it. Then, after you graduate, give the thru hike to yourself as a graduation gift. What a great way to start off your entry into the real world after graduation, with a tough, long, soul searching thru hike. I mean, dress it up however you like if that's what it takes.:p

Listen, we are just people on a message board. We are not the ones who feed you, love you, and put a roof over your head. You may think your parents tactics of trying to get you to go to college as soon as you graduate is "mean", but it sounds like they only want the best for you.

Get your education, then go hike all over the world if you want. Whatever you choose to do, I wish you good luck.

The best reply on here. :cool:

ohh, Nobody mentioned he can do both! Didn't someone mention doing the AT in three sections? College in the winters, Hiking the summers! No harm done there, except you have to agree with LW and Bearpaw at the same time.....They can both be right at the same time. Oh thats a stretch....:eek:

A7 you are NOT going to college to make parents happy, You are going to college because a high school education isn't enough today to open doors to make you happy, don't worry what your parents think. Find out what matters to you! I have met successful people who didn't go to college and started their own businesses. One of them was my barber he earned enough to keep two women happy at $70k annual (his wife and his mistress). I doubt anyone can duplicate what he did. These are different times, you need to prove to yourself you can do things without what your dad thinks.

It isint about what my parents think, its that I know im better off with going to college, even if it means putting off the trail.

serve your country, join the military before anything

As I said before, I signed up for an Air Force ROTC program. And I wouldnt join the military straight out of High School. Can you say "Front Line Infantry!"? Its a long cry from Fighter Pilot(my ideal career).

I suppose there ARE college grads that are flipping burgers for a living, and high school drop outs that are millionares. Drop out of school Airwolf and then tell me in 10 years how that worked for ya. LOL

Hey, we can all agree to disagree. One thing i will add is that getting an education is NOT about your parents. It's about YOU. It's about having MORE of an opportunity to have a good career and live a stable life and perhaps be able to afford all the toys and trips and hikes yout want to take. I just feel that getting an education is more important to get out of the way first than doing some hike that you may not even be able to finsh when you start it. Stuff happens on the trail.

I also think going to college and doing section hiking at the same time is a good compromise. I actually like that compromise very much.
Anyway, you've got time to decide so...good luck.:)
I think this one probably hits the mark. College with section hikes.
btw, why am I Airwolf? Lol, quincidince since my favorite animal is wolves.

The way I see it most likely playing out is going to college, not to please my parents but because I know it is a good idea. My friends and I have ajusted our plans to a section hike after graduation, which has the advantages of being cheaper, doesnt interfere with college, and will test us to see if a thru-hike is possible for us. Perhaps some more section hikes over summer, and Ill probably make an attempt at a thru hike outta college. I still have some questions though.
-Whats the latest college could end where I still have a window open to for a NOBO? Keep in mind this is a kid in his 20s going, so id be moving fairly fast. I walk fast as it is anyway.
-Say for w/e reason I couldnt hike outta college, NOBO or SOBO. Like I got a job offer that I couldnt refuse. Im I just dreaming that I would find 6 months for a hike? Not to mention the potential of a family to block me(there would have to be kids though, any wife of mine would hike with me).

mudhead
01-25-2009, 08:40
More girls at school. Be smart.

Christus Cowboy
01-25-2009, 09:59

Hey Air,

Just a quick question here.... There's been alot of good advice been given here but if tuition money is an issue regarding college then do you have the 5K handy to pay for a thru-hike? Alot of people fail to complete their thru-hike not because a lack of heart, or injury, but merely because they just run out of money.....

TnSlowPoke
01-25-2009, 23:43
On 12/31/08 I started a commitment to stop smoking ....so far I did... Now on April 15,2009 I will try again to hike the At.
I would like to say thank you too everyone on this site for all the info that you have posted. It has realy help me out. All I have to do now is find the "right" stove.

Tinker
01-26-2009, 01:58
They had this little thing called the Vietnam "war" when I was your age. I got a high draft number. A couple of guys I grew up came back with PTSD, one tried to kill his wife in his sleep while having a flashback about a hand-to-hand situation he was in. She had to divorce him, because it wasn't just one time. A guy I worked under at a major home goods company couldn't work with orientals because he had trouble controlling his thoughts of rage. He eventually drank himself out of his job. He really was a great guy that his time in the service had messed up. I have other stories of friends and people on the street (I used to work with the homeless) about how war permanently damaged their lives. I'd think twice about signing up unless you're willing to face the fact that none of the people I've mentioned above bargained on being changed in this way.
Go to college, then do the trail. Start life on the right foot, with a full toolbox, then decide which "job" you want to tackle first.

Tinker
01-26-2009, 02:01
On 12/31/08 I started a commitment to stop smoking ....so far I did... Now on April 15,2009 I will try again to hike the At.
I would like to say thank you too everyone on this site for all the info that you have posted. It has realy help me out. All I have to do now is find the "right" stove.
Good luck with your next thru attempt. :)
I have the right stove.
About 6 of them, each right for the proper situation. :D
April is a good time to start. You won't have to carry all that heavy winter junk.

Good luck with the smoking thing, too. I had my last one on March 15, 1981 after 10 years of moderate to heavy smoking. You can do it.

AirOutlaw7
01-27-2009, 19:07
They had this little thing called the Vietnam "war" when I was your age. I got a high draft number. A couple of guys I grew up came back with PTSD, one tried to kill his wife in his sleep while having a flashback about a hand-to-hand situation he was in. She had to divorce him, because it wasn't just one time. A guy I worked under at a major home goods company couldn't work with orientals because he had trouble controlling his thoughts of rage. He eventually drank himself out of his job. He really was a great guy that his time in the service had messed up. I have other stories of friends and people on the street (I used to work with the homeless) about how war permanently damaged their lives. I'd think twice about signing up unless you're willing to face the fact that none of the people I've mentioned above bargained on being changed in this way.
Go to college, then do the trail. Start life on the right foot, with a full toolbox, then decide which "job" you want to tackle first.

I apperciate the concern, but leave that worrying to me.

Hey Air,

Just a quick question here.... There's been alot of good advice been given here but if tuition money is an issue regarding college then do you have the 5K handy to pay for a thru-hike? Alot of people fail to complete their thru-hike not because a lack of heart, or injury, but merely because they just run out of money.....

I wont be doing anything till after Highschool(sophomore now) so i plan to put a portion of my paycheck away every week, should help for a section hike. As for a thru, i wont be doing that till after college(most likely). $ is the second biggest factor we are considering(next to when).

Umm..good for you? Seems a bit irrelevant though.

Kanati
01-27-2009, 19:34

I like your choice in music and would like to see your video. Last year while hiking I only stayed in the shelters when it was raining because I don't like to pack my tent up wet. In order to sleep bdcause of the usual loud snoring I had to turn my Sony Walkman radio on classic rock, my favorite because that's what I grew up with. Thanks.