PDA

View Full Version : 09 Gear List. Please critique!

ABasin
01-19-2009, 16:25
Below is my ever-changing list for an upcoming thruhike attempt starting the last week of february. Any input would be appreciated, especially from those who already have a thruhike under their belt.

(item weights are in ounces, total weight without food and water is roughly

Thanks!

Granite Gear Vapor Trail (32oz)
TarpTent Cloudburst (38)
Western Mountaineering Ultralite 20 degree bag (31)
Thermarest Prolite 3 short length (13)
Snow Peak litemax canister stove (1.9)
Canister fuel (13)
MSR pot (5.5)
plastic spork (1)
Goretex Paclite rain jacket (12)
REI rain pants (6)
montbell fleece beanie (1)
light REI fleece (11)
long underwear bottoms (7)
black diamond polartec gloves (2)
montbell alpine light down jacket (12)
2-3 pairs of smartwool or similar socks (10)
silnylon pack cover (4)
40ft parachute cord/rope (5.5)
MSR pot grip (2)
portable aqua/aqua mira (2)
lots of moleskin/molefoam (3)
custom med kit (3)
large trash bag (1.5)
1 32oz gatorade bottle (2)
small swiss army knife w/ hole punch, knife, bottle/can opener (2)
petzel zipka headlamp (2.3)
nikon point and shoot camera (4.2)
native sunglasses (1) needed?
ziplock baggies (1)
data book (4)
trimmed down thruhikers companion (4)
TP
70 oz camelpak
Crocs (11)

on me will be:
montrail continental divide trail runners
hiking shorts, shirt, silk boxers,
black diamond hiking poles.

fire away!

ABasin
01-19-2009, 16:26
the total weight for above without food & water is 16lbs

sixhusbands
01-19-2009, 16:52
you should be in the low twenties with food and water. do you have a lighter or matches , tooth brush, body soap plus a repair kit for your thermarest? a Zrest is about the same weight and it does not leak!

ABasin
01-19-2009, 16:56
yes - i suppose i could brush my teeth for the sake of everyone else out there.

good call, I'll add those items to the list. thanks.

4eyedbuzzard
01-19-2009, 17:00
sunblock, groundcloth, compass, map(s), a little duct tape on the poles...

.5step
01-19-2009, 17:08
Let me first say I am a thru-hiker in planning as well (March '09), but....

--hygiene kit (toothbrush, tooth paste, floss)

-Misc.(ear plugs, stuff sacks, bandanna (use as pot holder))

--my 70 oz camelbak is about 6-8 oz or so if I recall...take a look at the 3 oz. platypus. They also have the bottle (2L+, 1 oz.)-- www.platypushydration.com.

--it looks like you have a dry set of clothes in your long underwear and montbell jacket, but if that's not what you were intending their use as, you might want to consider a set.

My apologies if I missed something on your list.

Good luck!

ABasin
01-19-2009, 18:01
Thanks for all of the responses.

Do we think I'll be warm enough with what I got for the first couple of weeks?

slow
01-19-2009, 18:17
Thanks for all of the responses.

You have a WM bag.:D

slow
01-19-2009, 18:27
sunblock, groundcloth, compass, map(s), a little duct tape on the poles...

The first 3 add a half a pound for no reason imho?:)

ABasin
01-19-2009, 18:31
The first 3 add a half a pound for no reason imho?:)

maybe even the first 4. maps are nice, but I have a hard time finding them necessary within the AT corridor.

clured
01-19-2009, 18:46
Looks really good. All the big stuff is well chosen. The sunglasses aren't needed really - plenty (no, excessive!) tree cover, and personally I'd leave home the crocs, but that's just me.

Panzer1
01-19-2009, 19:46
how about a map and compass.

Panzer

Grumpy
01-19-2009, 19:50
I am leaving the 22nd of Feb (close to your departure) and have a very similar list. I have a few more comfort items but the one I sincerely wouldn't go without is the MAP and Compass... hiking in good weather they aren't needed but if you need to get off the trail or weather turns bad having a map and compass can make a huge difference. Not to mention water off the trail as I found this fall only from looking at a map... no book mentioned it. Of course you could save the wait and borrow my maps when you need them... I don't mind sharing.

Panzer1
01-19-2009, 19:54
1 32oz gatorade bottle (2)That's OK, but its not going to be enough.

Add a 4 liter Dromlite.
http://www.msrgear.com/hydration/dromlite.asp

with a hydration hose:
http://www.msrgear.com/hydration/accessories.asp

Panzer

ABasin
01-19-2009, 20:00
That's OK, but its not going to be enough.

Add a 4 liter Dromlite.
http://www.msrgear.com/hydration/dromlite.asp

with a hydration hose:
http://www.msrgear.com/hydration/accessories.asp

Panzer

I'll also have my camelpak bladder for water (for a total volume of 102oz) ... do you think I should bring my dromedary bag in addition?

SGT Rock
01-19-2009, 20:13
Below is my ever-changing list for an upcoming thruhike attempt starting the last week of february. Any input would be appreciated, especially from those who already have a thruhike under their belt.

(item weights are in ounces, total weight without food and water is roughly

Thanks!

Granite Gear Vapor Trail (32oz)
TarpTent Cloudburst (38)
Western Mountaineering Ultralite 20 degree bag (31)
silnylon pack cover (4)

Snow Peak litemax canister stove (1.9)
Canister fuel (13)
MSR pot (5.5)
plastic spork (1)
MSR pot grip (2)
portable aqua/aqua mira (2)
1 32oz gatorade bottle (2)
70 oz camelpak
ziplock baggies (1)
Food Bag?
Don't use a hose, it will most likely freeze a lot. One or two bottles for walking and something like your camelbak for camp water.

Goretex Paclite rain jacket (12)
REI rain pants (6)

montbell fleece beanie (1)
light REI fleece (11)
long underwear bottoms (7)
black diamond polartec gloves (2)
montbell alpine light down jacket (12)
2-3 pairs of smartwool or similar socks (10)
Crocs (11)
I liked to have some mittens for camp in Feb. But people and cold don't always work the same. I also liked some goretex socks for hiking in the snow with trail runners.

40ft parachute cord/rope (5.5)
lots of moleskin/molefoam (3)
custom med kit (3)
TP
Tooth brush and paste?
Small pack towel maybe?

small swiss army knife w/ hole punch, knife, bottle/can opener (2)
petzel zipka headlamp (2.3)
nikon point and shoot camera (4.2)
native sunglasses (1) needed?
In my experience you will need sun screen more than you will need the glasses. Almost never want or need glasses but on the occasions where the sun might be strong enough to warrent them sunscreen for the nose and cheeks would be a good idea. Smallest possible container because you won't need it much. I also reccomend lip balm because you can get those wind burned as well.

data book (4)
trimmed down thruhikers companion (4)
You only need the companion. I reccomend maps too.

on me will be:
montrail continental divide trail runners
hiking shorts, shirt, silk boxers,
black diamond hiking poles.

fire away!
Good luck

Panzer1
01-19-2009, 20:14
70 oz camelpakOOps. sorry, didn't see that. Forget what I said. :o

Panzer

ABasin
01-19-2009, 20:24
Thanks again for the responses

SGT Rock - You make some very helpful suggestions - thanks

Panzer1
01-19-2009, 20:25
How about a digital watch. I use that to help estimating the distance I have hiked, when to get up in the morning, and to time my entry into town/post office and also to keep track of the date/day. I leave the watch band at home.

Panzer

SGT Rock
01-19-2009, 20:28
I used a watch too. Compass was built into it.

Blissful
01-19-2009, 20:32
I used a watch too. Compass was built into it.

Hi, Sgt Rock!!! :sun Long time no see!!!!! Hope you're well.

(sorry for the interruption....)

SGT Rock
01-19-2009, 20:33
Doing better thanks.

Blissful
01-19-2009, 20:39
List looks pretty good to me so far. Looks like you got it in gear (bad pun)
Skip the sunglasses. Repair kits aren't needed - duct tape will do for temp fix. I also take dental floss for teeth and repair. Need gloves. I might also bring a liner as you only have a 20 degree bag and you are still in Feb (it can get to single digits in the mtns). Hope you have 3 pairs of socks.

Panzer1
01-19-2009, 20:43

I don't see a change of clothes in case what your wearing gets wet. Since your leaving in February you should have something dry to change into.

Panzer

Panzer1
01-19-2009, 20:48

For a February start I think you should have a full length matress, else when you sleep on snow your feet may get real cold.

Panzer

Runsalone
01-19-2009, 21:03
Dude you got your base pack down to 16 pounds for winter.......we cant help you.:D

Runsalone
01-19-2009, 21:04
For a February start I think you should have a full length matress, else when you sleep on snow your feet may get real cold.

Panzer

Put your feet on that vapor trail. It works perfectly. I had the same setup.;)

Panzer1
01-19-2009, 21:05
I also like to bring a Tyvek ground cloth for use under the tent or when sleeping in a shelter for use under a sleeping bag/matress to keep it clean.

Panzer

4eyedbuzzard
01-19-2009, 21:15
Okay, I know a lot of hikers don't carry maps, I've heard all the pros and cons, and it's hotly debated at times, but in the end all I can say is that I wish I had a dollar for everytime somebody who didn't carry a map wanted to look at mine.

Panzer1
01-19-2009, 21:27
Put your feet on that vapor trail. It works perfectly. I had the same setup.;)

He might want to put that under his head for a pillow.

Panzer

ABasin
01-19-2009, 21:57
Yeah, the plan is to use the vapor trail for my leg-sleeping-pad. The comments about a dry set of clothes are valid, especially for the cold early going. perhaps I will bring a second pair of long underwear bottoms and a long underwear top that i keep dry.

A have a sleeping bag liner, which would add 6 ounces. but the sleeping bag is very new, and is at least true to its 20 degree rating.

How much does a tyvex ground sheet weigh?... again, i've spent a lot of nights in shelters and never used one, but maybe ive been missing out. It seemed unessecary at first, but I will look into it. thanks

for a pillow i just use whatever clothes I'm not wearing stuffed in a stuff sack. I've never had issues here.

double j
01-19-2009, 22:14
looks good

Panzer1
01-19-2009, 22:17
for a pillow i just use whatever clothes I'm not wearing stuffed in a stuff sack. I've never had issues here.

Well if you take the clothes out of the pack and use the clothes for a pillow then there will be nothing left in your pack to keep your feet warm. If your sleeping on snow in February this could be an issue. To start with the mattress is a 3 season mattress, not a winter mattress.

Panzer

ABasin
01-19-2009, 22:20
Well if you take the clothes out of the pack and use the cloth for a pillow then there will be nothing left in your pack to keep your feet warm. If your sleeping on snow in February this could be an issue. To start with the mattress is a 3 season matress, not a winter mattress.

Panzer

I see your point. but the padding of the vapor trail is roughly comparable to the thickness of your standard 3 season ridge rest / z rest. so its not a complete loss.

some luxury is going to be lost, that's for sure. But with my knees, I'd like to keep things light and simple

Wags
01-20-2009, 00:40
you could just take a shortened piece of CCF pad to use as a sit pad, and then at night stick that baby down by your feet.

Runsalone
01-20-2009, 00:59
I used a vapor trail, an old worn out thermarest ultralite, And a WM alpine light (same bag as yours just cut wider). Pretty much the same setup, as yours, and I took it comfortably down to 15 degrees or so with no extra clothes on (socks t shirt shorts.) If it gets down around 0-10 you may need to throw on some thermals or maybe your insulation layer. But It worked pretty good for me:sun

P.S. I was flat tarping it too so your cloudburst should keep you a few degrees warmer. Also Im a warm sleeper;)

Get outside on a really cold night and try your rig out (I bet youve already thought of this;)) You may need to consider some of the other posters suggestions if you are a cold sleeper.!!

Why the big tarptent? (no disrespect) You must like to sleep all sprawed out:D

ABasin
01-20-2009, 01:35
I used a vapor trail, an old worn out thermarest ultralite, And a WM alpine light (same bag as yours just cut wider). Pretty much the same setup, as yours, and I took it comfortably down to 15 degrees or so with no extra clothes on (socks t shirt shorts.) If it gets down around 0-10 you may need to throw on some thermals or maybe your insulation layer. But It worked pretty good for me:sun

P.S. I was flat tarping it too so your cloudburst should keep you a few degrees warmer. Also Im a warm sleeper;)

Get outside on a really cold night and try your rig out (I bet youve already thought of this;)) You may need to consider some of the other posters suggestions if you are a cold sleeper.!!

Why the big tarptent? (no disrespect) You must like to sleep all sprawed out:D

Yeah - I do really enjoy my space in the cloudburst, it's palatial. I think for me the space of the cloudburst has allowed me, traditionally a tent users, to adjust to a more tarp like situation. ... my buddy will be using a sublite from tarptent, so maybe I'll try that one out and realize the size of the cloudburst is too much.

As for the sleeping set up. I have used the WM ultralite winter camping in colorado (with a liner, and a 4 season pad) and been fine ... I'm thinking everything I'll figure out pretty quickly if I've underestimated georgia's winter.

Good to hear runsalone that the same general set up worked for you

buz
01-20-2009, 09:41
I would second the sit pad made from some scrap closed cell pad, or buy a walmart cheapo and cut to fit your buttocal area, lol. Sitting on benches etc, when its' cold out sucks the heat out, and its' simply more comfortable. Not to mention when things are wet/damp. Multi use item. Mine is permanent part of my pack, no matter the weather.