PDA

View Full Version : Tri State area camping

tex_wilson
04-26-2004, 16:57
I camped a lot as a kid in Houston and Alabama and now want to get back into the scene. I am looking for places in the NY/NJ/CT area that are good places for backcountry camping/hiking. While I don't mind paying for a camp site, I want to be able to go off the beaten track (trail) and make camp somewhere of my own choosing. Is this allowed throughout? Can anyone point me to where I can find information on this? Would open fires be allowed? I appreciate any help that you all can give me.

Tex

A-Train
04-26-2004, 17:14
Hey Tex,

Glad to see you're getting back to camping and hiking. Well, if you're looking at the AT, there is only camping at designated sites and shelters in NJ, NY and CT. Fires are not permitted in jersey or CT, so your best bet is staying on the trail in NY if you want to build a fire. Might wanna check out Harriman State Park. Its about 35 miles north of NYC and has lots of interesting trails. The AT thru the park is rocky at times and has some short but steep climbs and descents. I highly recommend West Mountain, which has a great ridge walk and an excellent walk to the shelter up on the mountain with views of the city on a clear day.

Feel free to ask questions if you've got any. There are tons of great places to camp, on the AT and off. I know a couple people on this site are very knowledgable about the Hudson Highlands area.

stupe
04-26-2004, 21:03
Second that Harriman State Park idea. 52,000 acres of really nice hills, valleys, old iron mines, dirt roads, and you're never more than a days hike from a store. Convenient to public transportation (NJTRANSIT trains and ShortLine Bus ). Pretty desolate on weekdays, not too bad on weekends. Great fishing. Lots of coyotes!!

Mice
04-26-2004, 21:55
I live right by the park, tons of trails, shelters, lakes, mountains etc... no one will bother you if you stealth camp. Feel free to contact me for further.
Mice

tex_wilson
04-27-2004, 14:26
Mice:

What exactly is stealth camping?

Tex

snowshoe
04-28-2004, 12:45
Stealth camping is were you camp illegaly on or by trails.
The best area for some backcountry camping is the Catskills forest preserve. there are plenty of trails and high peaks like Slide 4180 ft and 34 others above 3500ft. The Catskills are not far from North Jersey 1.5 to the southern part which also holds the largest tract of wilderness in the catskills (The Slide Mt Wilderness) I highly recomend this area. You will also get a chance to traverse through balsam/spruce forests at the higher elavations as well as have some great bushwhacking oppertunities to some of the 3500ft peaks. Do a search for the Catskills and you will see what they are about. Also try this site www.localhikes.com

Pencil Pusher
05-27-2004, 15:13
Harriman rules in the summer, the lakes are warm enough to swim in. Though perhaps you should consider this stealth swimming as you stealth camp... Campmor is just down the way on Rte 17.

MOWGLI
05-27-2004, 15:19
Harriman rules in the summer, the lakes are warm enough to swim in. Though perhaps you should consider this stealth swimming as you stealth camp... Campmor is just down the way on Rte 17.

The only lakes you can legally swim in are Tiorati, Welch & Sebago, although that never stopped me in my youth. I would recommend the Catskills as mentioned by a previous poster.

The Minnewaska area is beautiful too, but I don't think the State Park has any campsites. It makes for a great day trip though! Great swimming (legal too!).