PDA

View Full Version : How easy are these to come by...

Brett
01-19-2009, 22:56
Excluding bigger grocery stores, how easy are these things to come by along the trail at the smaller resupply spots?

-Ramen Noodles
-Vienna Sausages
-Potted Meat
-Cans of sardines or herring
-Plain Quaker oatmeal
-Raisins
-Fresh fruit such as apples, pears, bananas:banana, and oranges

Smile
01-19-2009, 23:01
First ones, pretty easy, the others in major towns in my experience. some little mini markets have fruit though, just depends on where you are! In 2006 there were trail angels with a trunk full of oranges and hot coffee! :)

KG4FAM
01-19-2009, 23:02
Fruit may be hard to come by but all the rest are pretty easy to find

Kanati
01-19-2009, 23:20
Fresh fruit is something I craved during my hike last year and I don't recall having too much difficulty finding it. What you will want to do is check your book (I used the companion), for listing of long term resupply stores. Some some of these are small to medium size mom and pop grocery stores but carry a fairly nice selection of goods including everything you listed.

Some of the short term resupplies don't carry any fruit, or if they do, it is just apples, and bananas. They may not carry all of the other items you listed either. The one item I wanted at each resupply but was not lucky finding was Southwestern cooked chicken breast in pouches. Plenty of Tuna, but not much chicken.

Make a note in your book, the only store in Unionville, NY makes great deli sandwiches and they open at 6:00 A.M. I think

Good luck and happy hiking. :sun

sticks&stones
01-19-2009, 23:41
Excluding bigger grocery stores, how easy are these things to come by along the trail at the smaller resupply spots?

-Ramen Noodles
-Vienna Sausages
-Potted Meat
-Cans of sardines or herring
-Plain Quaker oatmeal
-Raisins
-Fresh fruit such as apples, pears, bananas:banana, and oranges

Most little country stores have that stuff, if not, check the trash can at the nearest P.O.