PDA

View Full Version : Less Retired Thru Hikers in 2009?

Downunda
01-19-2009, 23:19
I was wondering what with the current financial crisis what the impact will be on the number of retired people thru-hiking this year.

Are you retired and have changed your thru-hike plans this year due to finances, or are you going anyway? How about telling us your story.

STEVEM
01-20-2009, 00:09
I was wondering what with the current financial crisis what the impact will be on the number of retired people thru-hiking this year.

Are you retired and have changed your thru-hike plans this year due to finances, or are you going anyway? How about telling us your story.

I am neither retired nor planning a long hike anytime soon, unless I lose my job. I'm sure I'm no different than most in having lost 40% on the value of my investments and home. Retirement and any hope of long distance hiking looks to be far in the future.

skinewmexico
01-20-2009, 00:09
I would think a thru hike would be one of the cheaper things a retired person could do. I'm not retired though. Still have a job, house is still worth more than I payed for it, and I lost a lot of the paper investment profit that I had made, on paper. Life goes on. The Messiah will fix it all shortly.

Kanati
01-20-2009, 00:31
How is everything downunder? I want to get over there some day and now that I am retired except for limited consulting I have some time on my hands and may decide to visit. Do you have a lot of nice trails in your country?

As to your question, I am a GE retiree and just signed up for social security so I have a comfortable income. I am blessed and very thankful for it. I started my thru-hike last year but left the trail once I crossed into Maine. I was completely satisfied with having hiked from Georgia and didn't feel the need to complete it. I was basically tired of hiking and my interest had changed to my first love and passion, bow hunting for deer.

This summer, I plan to return to ME to complete the trail.

River Runner
01-20-2009, 00:35
I would think a thru hike would be one of the cheaper things a retired person could do.

I think the issue is that so many with their retirement funds in the stock market have lost a substantial amount of money. Unless they sell their home, they will still have expenses to maintain it while they are gone, taxes, insurance, etc., still have to pay medical expenses, etc., so discretionary income for even something as relatively inexpensive as a thru hike may be difficult for some to come up with.

As for me, I'm not near retirement, and am stuck section hiking for now.

No Belay
01-20-2009, 02:00
:-?

4eyedbuzzard
01-20-2009, 07:27
I don't think the financial crisis will impact thru-hiking that much. One, we're only talking about a couple of thousand prospective retiree thru-hikers. Two, not everyone lost money in this crisis--some went to cash starting with the Wamu and Bear situations early in '08, others even made money if they were short sellers or bought puts. When the financial markets make big moves there are always winners as well as losers.

garbanz
01-20-2009, 07:54
Im retiring in 2010 and planning on thru hiking the AT in 2011. The state of the economy hasnt changed my plans. During the economic downturn a rise in unemployment may usher in rising crime (especially robbery) in all sectors. My concern is the degree to which this may affect trail life and safety.

Grumpy
01-20-2009, 08:22
I retired the first of January and couldn't be happier. Yeah some of my investments have taken a hit but it is no reason to change my plans. I am still set to leave on the 22nd of Feb. Since it snowed here last night I am going to finish my coffee, pack up my stuff and hit the local day hike... so not missing working much today.

jlb2012
01-20-2009, 09:45
I think that there may be a different effect - it seems some companies are in effect forcing people to take early retirement - more people retired - more people hiking

earlyriser26
01-20-2009, 09:49
I'm 2 years away from possible retirement. I haven't changed my plans yet, but I am open to change. Being in the investment business makes these times twice as hard.

elmotoots
01-20-2009, 10:57
I have been retired for almost three years, and am planning to attempt a thru hike in 2009 or 2010. Money and the market place will not effect my decision at all, It will all come down to a couple questions being of answered

Do I really want to do it. Or do a lot of section hikes at a slower pace, enjoying the highlights of the trail?

Am i willing to be away from my wife that long if she decides not to try it?

I am on a pension, and have some of our other money in a 19 year fixed income annuitie with pacific Life. And have decided that i will not go through the rest of my life worrying and wishing i would have done it.

Elmo

Quoddy
01-20-2009, 13:49
My plan is to hike the CT then the LT (again) this year. I have several retirement incomes, none of which will (or can) be affected at all by any change in the economy. So, no, the economy will not affect my hiking or any other decision I might make.

Rockhound
01-20-2009, 18:15
I would say the economy would only effect those retired people whose attachment to money is greater than their desire to hike.

Nearly Normal
01-20-2009, 20:29
I would say the economy would only effect those retired people whose attachment to money is greater than their desire to hike.

No wife and kids to support or University to pay?:D

Speer Carrier
01-20-2009, 21:14

Every retired person I know who was planning on thru hiking in 2009 is still planning on it.

Gator 65
01-25-2009, 12:30
I just retired at 64 (65 in April) for the very reason to attempt a thru hike. My income is comfortable and my investments have been conservative for the past three years so I took a very small hit. My real concern was to do it (the thru hike) while I am still blessed with good health. I lost too many friends and family the past few years who never had a chance to even start the "bucket list".